SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Starbucks CEO: We're going to hire 10,000 refugees...
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Starbucks CEO: We're going to hire 10,000 refugees... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
With details of the Starbuck proclamation starting to emerge from the cloud of BS, is anybody besides me thinking "Fake News"?

10,000 jobs over 75 countries over 5 years? Frankly, it all sounds like a publicity stunt on their part, no real offer of help to poor, starving refugees.

The news programs today are showing a bunch of unemployed lawyers holding up signs in airports, with nobody needing their services since all of yesterday's foreigners have been taken care of.

I hope the rest of Trump's opposition fizzles out as quickly as this BS will, but on the other hand, how can I justify stockpiling more ammo?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
The news programs today are showing a bunch of unemployed lawyers holding up signs in airports, with nobody needing their services since all of yesterday's foreigners have been taken care of.

This is a good start... Big Grin

How about IRS attorneys next, change the tax laws.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
10,000 jobs over 75 countries over 5 years? Frankly, it all sounds like a publicity stunt on their part, no real offer of help to poor, starving refugees.

Wonder if they looked at the current hiring rate and projected it out? "Hey, how many employees will we I. In 5 years?"

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I make my own coffee also, but where you're out and you want something, will it be a human pulling the shot (if you get something espresso based)?

And, remember if fast food goes to a $15 minimum wage, so do the barristas. So they have a price on their heads also.

quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Or maybe they won't be doing so much hiring going forward:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/ro...at-cafe-x-1485781201

Robot Baristas Serve Up the Future of Coffee at Cafe X
Automation is eliminating jobs for factory workers and Uber drivers—will your morning fix soon come from a precision caffeine machine?

I'm still more likely to push the buttons on my own coffee machine... but sure, why not?

If I'm out and about and a machine is cheaper and more convenient who needs the liberal barista sporting a hip mustache making small talk?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
I don't buy coffee there but I do own the stock which has done pretty well over the past few years. He is a very good CEO. I'm not selling. I'm not going to make a knee jerk reaction and bite my nose to spite my face. I truly believe the comment is posturing because he is planning to run in 2020. The guy is very, very smart and will be a formidable opponent. Refugee is going to become the next big buzz word.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5909 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
In point of fact, this is a PR stunt. Schultz knows his customer base, and that, in general, this will play well with them.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VonFatman
posted Hide Post
I enjoy their coffee. We buy French Roast whole beans and grind our own each morning.

We just ran out today -- great timing -- I asked my wife to buy another brand from now on -- she was all in.

See ya Starbucks.

Bob

Posts: 376 | Registered: September 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Watching for
Falling Rocks
Picture of erratic
posted Hide Post
Just imagine what ordering a skinny venti macchiato made with almond milk and two shots of espresso from a guy that doesn't speak English is going to do to the speed of the ordering line.

Posts: 858 | Location: North Florida Mountains | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erratic:
Just imagine what ordering a skinny venti macchiato made with almond milk and two shots of espresso from a guy that doesn't speak English is going to do to the speed of the ordering line.

And won't touch any of the food that has pork in it (which is many of their items).

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
I don't like burnt, overpriced coffee.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Why would anyone drink that crap? Besides them hating guns,the Constitution and America, it is overpriced and tasted like burned hair.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just for shits and giggles; Starbucks (SBUX) closed Jan. 27 at $56.12

Feb. 1: 53.90-1.32 (-2.39%)

Will a Starbucks Boycott Actually Help Sales?

The #BoycottStarbucks campaign has resonated on social media, but it could bring out the company’s supporters, as well.

http://www.barrons.com/article...&ru=yahoo&yptr=yahoo

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin
On Wednesday, the Black Rifle Coffee Company (BRCC), a veteran owned and operated gourmet coffee purveyor, responded to Starbucks-- or “Hipsterbucks” as they call the global coffee chain--announcing a pledge via Instagram to hire 10,000 veterans.

http://www.foxnews.com/food-dr...-10000-veterans.html

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Big Grin Big Grin
On Wednesday, the Black Rifle Coffee Company (BRCC), a veteran owned and operated gourmet coffee purveyor, responded to Starbucks-- or “Hipsterbucks” as they call the global coffee chain--announcing a pledge via Instagram to hire 10,000 veterans.

BRCC makes some good beans.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Big Grin Big Grin

I was just on their site today. What a huge variety!!! Can anyone recommend one of their darker roast coffees? Something like a french roast?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38678 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I do like Starbucks, and each week, I'd spend a few hundred bucks in coffee and snacks to take to my various doctors offices. No more.

I'm only going to Dunkin Donuts. Most franchises around me are even immigrant owned, but DD is smart enough to stay outta politics and just make my coffee.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
The "Beyond Black" is bold but not bitter. Ive tried several of their beans and this is my favorite. I too like a dark blend. FYI the "CAF" is aptly named. Big Grin

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dave7378:
I don't buy coffee there but I do own the stock which has done pretty well over the past few years. He is a very good CEO. I'm not selling. I'm not going to make a knee jerk reaction and bite my nose to spite my face. I truly believe the comment is posturing because he is planning to run in 2020. The guy is very, very smart and will be a formidable opponent. Refugee is going to become the next big buzz word.

I'll second that thought! MG

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
The "Beyond Black" is bold but not bitter. Ive tried several of their beans and this is my favorite. I too like a dark blend. FYI the "CAF" is aptly named. Big Grin

Thanks for the tip.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38678 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Notary Sojac
Picture of festus haggen
posted Hide Post
Is the Black Rifle Coffee whole beans or ground?

Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

Posts: 368 | Location: Maryland | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post