SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Solar Eclipse - 21 Aug 2017 ○○○●○○○updated with a pretty cool website ●○●
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Solar Eclipse - 21 Aug 2017 ○○○●○○○updated with a pretty cool website ●○● Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Not too far away, we are planning to attempt to see it from the Nashville area.

Hopkinsville KY (A little over an hour north of BNA) is supposed to be the sweet spot for viewing. The local hotels have been full for months. I found out that even then the hotels are charging $700 per night, with a three night minimum.

How crazy is that.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Not too far away, we are planning to attempt to see it from the Nashville area.

Hopkinsville KY (A little over an hour north of BNA) is supposed to be the sweet spot for viewing. The local hotels have been full for months. I found out that even then the hotels are charging $700 per night, with a three night minimum.

How crazy is that.

Planning is key! Got a beach front place for $1,500 with 2:4100 of total eclipse on the water for a week. Rented it 6 months back. Maybe I should try and quadruple my money?

Edited, cause I put total at direct center, we are south of it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ukhayes
posted Hide Post
Being in White House, TN it will be right on top of us. I think it is 2.39 totality.

Posts: 496 | Location: White House,TN | Registered: May 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/oPwrodxghrw

Well shucks, I'm ~20 miles from the total eclipse path. Was hoping to watch from my patio. Wonder if I will miss the effect very much if I don't travel closer??

Here is a cool animation you can run by location to see a simulated view for that location. You can use your zip or city.

https://eclipsemega.movie/simu...g=-86.78160159999999

I bought 24 pair of supposably certified viewing glasses for cheap from Amazon to give to family / friends so they hopefully don't fry their eyes! However it is amazing how little they seem to be interested.

I seem to remember seeing one as a young boy, must have been the early 60's. might have been a partial, I need to look that up.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I booked my hotels several months ago on points, so I'm good to go.

All the johnnny-come-latelies can break out the checkbooks

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
My wife and I realized this too late and everything in Jackson Hole is booked up. Still, it's only about a four hour drive for us. Might just say screw it and make it an extended day trip. Our baby girl though is the only issue. Might never get another chance to see one though.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Does an eclipse make you horny? Hopkinsville is worried about an influx of prostitutes for the eclipse.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/3585...months-solar-eclipse

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
Already got welding lens, shade 14.

Denver metro at 90%.

Wyoming is about 3.5 hours away for total blackout, may head out early.

James in Denver

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
For anyone who was planning on hitting Clingmans Dome in the GSMNP, it is by ticket only and been sold out for months. The road going in will close Saturday night and MAYBE 441 going through the park will be shut down depending on traffic concerns.
I found this out too late and now we're going to the beach instead. Rented a room at Myrtle Beach and we'll drive down to see it.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James in Denver:

Denver metro at 90%.

James in Denver

I'm driving up to Casper as it seems to be very nearly dead center of the path. I'll probably just be day-tripping it.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by James in Denver:

Denver metro at 90%.

James in Denver

I'm driving up to Casper as it seems to be very nearly dead center of the path. I'll probably just be day-tripping it.

We checked out Casper as well. Everything there is also fully booked up. That's about a five to six hour drive for me so that may be out for a simple day trip.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
Our house is very near the centerline. I observed the 1979 total eclipse in this area. I was driving and pulled over. It was no big deal back then. This time with internet hype, they are predicting millions of people coming to this area with massive traffic jams.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Having been close observer of total eclipse 40 years ago, it was worth the extended day-trip across Oregon to the Horse Heaven Hills around Pasco at that time.

There is considerable difference between 98/99% and 100% as far as the intensity of observable phenomena goes IF you study up on the nuances.

One close buddy who is otherwise always intense in getting to the very base/meaningful crumb of any such event, is hours away from totality.

He says he's solved the issue by determining to simply 'close his eyes' for the same duration.

Some of the features of the 40-year-ago event have stuck fresh in mind's eye all these decades later:

the incredible hush that descends as darkness approaches;

the distinct fall in temperature;

the breathtaking suddenness of the moon shadow moving at high speed toward you on the ground IF you look at the right time;

the 'chain of pearls' so brief as the irregular mountain shadow obscures the last 1% of sun;

the incredible 'diamond ring' flash at the last second;

the breathtaking intense starry starry sky. Probably helped that we were many many miles from city lights;

The other minutia of the event are lost as well if you don't study up on the process. Some I know just aren't that interested, yet will try to tell me ball scores or who's banned from the island this time.

In any case it's a most worthy event if you make the effort to participate.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
I have been planning a trip to TN with my 2 sons to see the eclipse. I booked our rooms in Knoxville and figured we can drive a little south down into the path of totality.

I think this will be a nice little trip to make some memories and I'm really looking forward to it.

JP

Posts: 2051 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
We're making a 4 hour drive down to Ky to see it, it's gonna be a long weekend for me.

I'll be at GenCon Wednesday through Sunday, then driving down to Hopkinsville Monday morning.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Even if you aren't in the path of totality, you can enter your zip code at this site to find out what to expect.

We're going to experience about an 86% eclipse. It still should be pretty spectacular.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
In just under another 7 years, on April 8, 2024, there will be another total eclipse ini the US.
Total Solar Eclipse of 2024 Apr 08

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
It'll be about 90% here in Park City. We're planning on having a little picnic in the park and just watch it from here. Should be spectacular

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
86% for us up here just S of Lake Michigan. As I've heard from several sources, making the 280-mile drive south to SE Illinois for 100% will NOT be possible on the day of the eclipse.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
I'm not in the path of totality, but at 99% eclipse there is no way I'm getting on any major road to view this.

Too much media coverage and hype surrounding this. And then there are people.

Safe travels to those who journey for the viewing.

Cheers~

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post