SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Obamacare Replacement by GOP
Page 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 55
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Obamacare Replacement by GOP Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
HMO and PPO's are what started the medical insurance boom, a program for employers to offer to get key employees, vs raising wages, people like the co-pay and prescription plans, since that's what they see coming out of pocket.

Medical industry and big pharma love this setup, it drives more people into doctors offices, hospitals and to pick up prescriptions.

You are correct it is a cost sharing function not true insurance for the lower tier medical assistance, and since you don't see the real cost consumers just equate medical care on a co-pay basis vs a real cost basis.

Posts: 23510 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Nancy Pelosi calls 911 because she's in tremendous pain in her stomach. The wambulance rushes her to the ER. X-rays are taken of her abdomen. After about an hour, an ER doc comes out, looking at the x-ray.

"What is it, Doctor?? Doctor, what is it??", pleads Pelosi.

The doctor tosses the x-ray down and says "Well, it looks like bullshit to me, but you're going to have to pass it so we can see what's in it."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107656 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
The House is discussing the new bill and preparing to vote later this afternoon.

DEMs are going nuts. Obamacare is so wonderful and necessary. (according to them)

More and more insurance companies are announcing they are dropping out of obamacare.

I hope the bill passes and then we continue on as long as needed to keep dismantling obamacare.

Paul Ryan giving a good fact filled argument why we need to replace obamacare. What a contrast to the hysterical nonsense from the DEMs. Ryan also gave strong recognition of the leadership from President Trump and VP Pence.

Posts: 19589 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:Medical industry and big pharma love this setup, it drives more people into doctors offices, hospitals and to pick up prescriptions.

I think there is truth to that. I appreciate that you didn't say doctors love it. They sure as heck don't. Most of them are now salaried employees of huge corporations that tell them exactly how many minutes they are allowed per patient.

The HMO crap started back when I was in dental school with the claim that if people just went in for routine check ups, etc. overall costs would go down. Well, you see how that worked out. What it does do is put more cash through the insurance industry that takes their cut.

Given the unholy alliance between these corporations, I think we also need to be a little careful about how pre-existing conditions are handled.

It doesn't take much of a stretch to envision a situation where insurance companies decide that having high cholesterol is a pre-existing condition that places you at higher risk for CAD. Keep ratcheting down the definition of "high" and you get more and more people on statins, etc. to stay out of the high risk category. I'm not anti-statin. I take them myself. What I am against is the perpetual redefining of dang near every human condition into "pre-something".

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
Sadly, I don't think that this fix will be the last thing we hear on healthcare.

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Well, that's the thing. The Dems didn't design OCare to work - that was, per Obama himself, supposed to be the job of the Republicans in Congress.* What the Dems did instead is do their best to make getting rid of OCare a long, difficult and complicated process, and they actually succeeded in doing that. So, yeah, cleaning up the mess could well take a bit of time.

* Yeah, I didn't believe it either.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
For the love of all that's holy, please don't start that shit again. I will lock this thread in a New York Minute. Just stow this "It was supposed to fail" shit.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107656 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm

2 DEMs have voted for HR 1628
edit: both of those DEM votes just disappeared from the count

looks like it will be very close

it passed.

Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
It passed, house Rs getting into buses to head over the the White House Rose garden for a celebration with Trump.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3451 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Gonna be interesting to see what happens in the Senate now.

The dems losing their minds is predictable and pathetic. Hearing Pelosi ramble on like a lunatic, I swear she could've been saying the same things about Obamacare when it passed.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30415 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
can someone clarify or comment:

Because 4 House seats are currently vacant, it takes 216 House votes to pass legislation right now.

sound right ?

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

Because 4 House seats are currently vacant, it takes 216 House votes to pass legislation right now.

sound right ?

Yes.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

sound right ?

One(.5) over 1/2 of 431

Posts: 8961 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:Medical industry and big pharma love this setup, it drives more people into doctors offices, hospitals and to pick up prescriptions.

I think there is truth to that. I appreciate that you didn't say doctors love it. They sure as heck don't. Most of them are now salaried employees of huge corporations that tell them exactly how many minutes they are allowed per patient.

The HMO crap started back when I was in dental school with the claim that if people just went in for routine check ups, etc. overall costs would go down. Well, you see how that worked out. What it does do is put more cash through the insurance industry that takes their cut.

Given the unholy alliance between these corporations, I think we also need to be a little careful about how pre-existing conditions are handled.

It doesn't take much of a stretch to envision a situation where insurance companies decide that having high cholesterol is a pre-existing condition that places you at higher risk for CAD. Keep ratcheting down the definition of "high" and you get more and more people on statins, etc. to stay out of the high risk category. I'm not anti-statin. I take them myself. What I am against is the perpetual redefining of dang near every human condition into "pre-something".
You are onto their scheme MNSIG. Much as I didn't want to inject Senator Paul here, he made a valid statement when he said " Sell the people health care, not insurence. "

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
In addition to eliminating the goddamn Obamacare "Shared Responsibility Payment"(what kind of Commie-sounding name is that crap?)...AKA tax for not having something you can't afford, I liked reading this about the new plan:

quote:

What does the bill do regarding health savings accounts?

It increases the contribution limits for tax-exempt HSAs, from $3,400 for individuals and $6,750 for families now to $6,550 and $13,100, respectively. It allows individuals to use HSA money for over-the-counter drugs, something the ACA had limited to only over-the-counter drugs for which individuals had obtained a prescription.

Link

Posts: 33833 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^

Agreed. Put the money in the HSA instead of high full coverage premiums.

Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have a clue what this bill does?

Seems to me that it was passed in the House the same way Obamacare was passed - written in secret with backroom deals then rushed to a managed vote with minimal debate.

Can anyone say whether this is a good or bad bill?

This is exactly the opposite of the way the GOP promised to govern.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
A group of REP House members are at the WH now.

Very gracious words spoken by President Trump.

Stunning that a man who was never a politician is now recognized as a President who works directly with Congress and provided the leadership to get this bill through the House. I am sure Mike Pence has a lot of positive influence with that. What a great VP choice.

There have been several reports that President Trump called key REP House members to get them on board.

So while the DEMs and the media continue to whine about a lack of accomplishment from the new administration, we just took the first step to replace the worst piece of legislation ever jammed down the throats of Americans.

Time for the REP Senate to take the next step.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone have a clue what this bill does?

The bill:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/...ress/house-bill/1628

A summary:

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...n-trumpcare-n2322286

Analysis: As House Prepares to Vote, Here's What's Actually in the 'TrumpCare' Bill

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Nancy Pelosi calls 911 because she's in tremendous pain in her stomach. The wambulance rushes her to the ER. X-rays are taken of her abdomen. After about an hour, an ER doc comes out, looking at the x-ray.

"What is it, Doctor?? Doctor, what is it??", pleads Pelosi.

The doctor tosses the x-ray down and says "Well, it looks like bullshit to me, but you're going to have to pass us so we can see what's in it."

stolen Big Grin

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53206 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post