SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Somewhere in the dozens of stories, articles, op-eds, etc I have read this week, I recall seeing a forecast that at the end of this hearing, the reputation of Judge Kavanaugh will be enhanced, and that of the Senate diminished.

It looks to me as though that has come to pass.
I agree that seems to be the outcome of these hearings. Yet its rather difficult to believe the reputation of the senate could be diminished any more after the previous eight years of Harry Reid's reign, but these empty suit nitwits have really gone above and beyond in their pathological behavior. It's both utterly amazing 'and' disgusting.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Somewhere in the dozens of stories, articles, op-eds, etc I have read this week, I recall seeing a forecast that at the end of this hearing, the reputation of Judge Kavanaugh will be enhanced, and that of the Senate diminished.

I agree that seems to be the outcome of these hearings. Yet its rather difficult to believe the reputation of the senate could be diminished any more after the previous eight years of Harry Reid's reign, but these empty suit nitwits have really gone above and beyond in their pathological behavior. It's both utterly amazing 'and' disgusting.

It's quite something to reflect on the fact that there are only 100 Senators in this country of ours of over 320 million, and of those 100 are the likes of Booker, Kamala Harris, Warren, and Hirono. These are without question some of the dumbest most vacuous people I've ever had the displeasure to listen to. One hundred out of three hundred and some odd million people...and this is what we got. Lord have mercy.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://thehill.com/homenews/se...g-kavanaugh-hearings

U.S. Capitol Police arrested more than 200 people over three days this week amid protests surrounding Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh's confirmation hearings.

Sixty-nine demonstrators were arrested on Thursday, a slight decrease from the 73 arrested on Wednesday and 70 arrested on Tuesday, according to figures released by the Capitol Police. In total, 212 people were arrested.

The Senate Judiciary Committee hearings with Kavanaugh lasted from Tuesday to Thursday and were met with aggressive protests, with individuals shouting intermittently throughout the hearings.

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone seen details of the protester arrest metrics? How many of those arrest figures include multiple arrests of the same individuals? From one article that I read about the detention, transport, processing and release process, it sounds much like a catch and release program with many of the same faces showing up again in the Senate Hearing on the same day. If they were served with trespass charges perhaps the number of disruptive protesters might dwindle.

Posts: 282 | Location: Central PA | Registered: November 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
http://thehill.com/homenews/se...g-kavanaugh-hearings

U.S. Capitol Police arrested more than 200 people over three days this week amid protests surrounding Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh's confirmation hearings.

Sixty-nine demonstrators were arrested on Thursday, a slight decrease from the 73 arrested on Wednesday and 70 arrested on Tuesday, according to figures released by the Capitol Police. In total, 212 people were arrested.

The Senate Judiciary Committee hearings with Kavanaugh lasted from Tuesday to Thursday and were met with aggressive protests, with individuals shouting intermittently throughout the hearings.

Unfortunately, these cases are typically dismissed without prosecution, which is why they keep happening.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:

It's quite something to reflect on the fact that there are only 100 Senators in this country of ours of over 320 million, and of those 100 are the likes of Booker, Kamala Harris, Warren, and Hirono. These are without question some of the dumbest most vacuous people I've ever had the displeasure to listen to. One hundred out of three hundred and some odd million people...and this is what we got. Lord have mercy.

Remember, puppets are never that bright.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
Booker won't do a thing. Like all liberals, he's a coward; all bark and no bite. He's not going to give up the gravy train of being in the Senate.

Turns out this statement was more true than false.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:

Add Durbin, Schumer, Waters, Brown and many others. The problem is there are enough people that are shallow minded enough to keep voting these fools in offices of power.

The people who vote these people in aren't watching these hearings to see how the people they vote for are acting. But when the time comes they turn out to vote for the D. The entire rest of the time they are politically disengaged.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Booker won't do a thing. Like all liberals, he's a coward; all bark and no bite. He's not going to give up the gravy train of being in the Senate.

Turns out this statement was more true than false.

Yup, you were dead-on balls accurate with that statement.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Fred Barnes
Weekly Standard

One of the most revealing moments in the Senate hearings for Supreme Court nominee Brett Kava­naugh involved Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.). He said Republican justices overwhelmingly side with corporations and right-wing interests in cases before the High Court. And so does Kava­naugh in his votes on the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals.

Not shocking revelations, for sure. The press yawned. Fox News commentator Chris Wallace lamented, tongue in cheek, that Whitehouse had consumed a half hour or so of his life that could never be retrieved. But Whitehouse had actually said something quite interesting—about Democrats.

It was how he spoke about dozens of cases won by conservatives that matters. He named the parties and the subjects but not the legal issues at the core of the cases. Other Democrats talked the same way time after time at the hearings and so did Republicans now and then.

Here’s what I’m getting at: Leaving out the legal issues reflects how Democrats see the Court. They are results-oriented. Legal niceties are beside the point. Whatever strategy is most likely to win a case, as long as it comes out the way they want, they’re for. They’re not crazy about the Constitution. It limits their options.

Republicans are susceptible to this type of thinking, but less so. They’re eager to win too. But my seat-of-the-pants view is they do pay attention to the law. The media are worst of all, which isn’t surprising. They just take their cues from Democrats.

When I covered the Supreme Court years ago, I got the impression several of the justices decided cases based on the identity of the parties. And Whitehouse’s data would lead one to believe it’s not just Democrats. The senator’s data, by the way, is both impressive and provocative. And it was a rare moment in these hearings that was thought-provoking in a good way.

From the opening seconds of the Kava­naugh hearing, Democrats unleashed a tactic that has increasingly become a favorite weapon in their political arsenal. They created a disturbance. They use it to throw Republicans off their game. And it sometimes works.

Democrats were in a weak position, so they had nothing to lose. Over the summer, Republicans had rebutted their attacks on Kava­naugh effectively, putting him in a strong position to be confirmed. So Democrats complained about having received 42,000 pages of Kava­naugh overnight and demanded the hearing be adjourned.

This went on for 90 minutes and fit the Democrats’ plan perfectly. Their only hope for blocking Kava­naugh is delay. If they can somehow slow-walk the proceedings past the midterm election on November 6 and capture the Senate, they can kill the Kava­naugh appointment and force President Trump to compromise on a new nominee. It won’t be a conservative.

The leaders of the putsch were senators Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) and Cory Booker (D-N.J.), both preparing to run for president in 2020. Harris is smart and unpleasant. If you’re a Democrat, you’d want her on your side. Booker talks nonstop. With him, it’s hard to get a word in edgewise.

To call Booker histrionic is putting it mildly. He’s made a fetish out of documents that senators on the committee can see but not make public. He threatened to release them anyway, even if it means he could be ousted from the Senate. Fat chance.

Harris and Booker’s Project Chaos was nothing new. In the 2012 vice presidential debate, Joe Biden acted like a meatball. He was rude and obnoxious and disrespectful to Paul Ryan. He guffawed, groaned, and gasped. The moderator was afraid to restrain him.

And four years later, we got more of this from Tim Kaine. He was the Great Interrupter. Halfway through every comment by Mike Pence, Kaine butted in, as if he had a crucial question that couldn’t wait. He had nothing to ask. Zilch. It was pure interference. The equivalent in football gets you a 15-yard penalty.

Think about this: Would Democrats assign this nasty job to party leaders if they weren’t serious about their new strategy? Dignity? Forget that. Better to turn any clash with Republicans into a shouting match. At the hearings, the screaming protesters were the Greek chorus.

I learned, after three days of watching Democrats badger Kava­naugh, that they are wonderful actors. Listening to Cory Booker, for a moment I thought he was genuinely outraged about being denied millions of irrelevant documents. Then he declared, “I am Spartacus,” and other Democrats joined in. That’s when I knew the whole thing was fake.

And so were all the efforts by Democrats to get their hands on more documents and weeks more to go through them. All the pleas had one goal in mind: drag the process out.

What kept them from succeeding? The biggest factor was Kava­naugh, a witness with an amazing memory. He had learned the lesson of the Robert Bork hearing in 1987—don’t blab, be vague, and never let down your guard. Right to the end, Kava­naugh was careful.

The other factor was Chuck Grassley, the Judiciary Committee chairman. He allowed the Democrats, even blowhards like Booker, to talk pretty much all they wanted. He seldom raised his voice. He was deferential to everyone. The aim was to let the Democrats’ attempted coup wear itself out.

And sure enough, it did.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
What is wrong with this guy? Did his mom not pay enough attention to him or something?

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/AHYg1YJ2214

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
It might still be on YouTube, when Booker said he drove to Hawaii, till someone told him he didn’t .

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nighthawk:
It might still be on YouTube, when Booker said he drove to Hawaii, till someone told him he didn’t .

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
What is wrong with this guy? Did his mom not pay enough attention to him or something?
Bragging about essentially breaking the law. This is what the current Dem party is about. The rule of law means exactly nothing to these people at this point, and they'll do as they please. Can you imagine what that approach 'could' lead to with the general populace if they regained power again?

And I for one pray this nitwit gets the Dem nomination for president in 2020. That too would set a new benchmark....a person with an IQ hovering around 75 running for the most powerful position in the world.

We have almost arrived...

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I'd say just vote already, but I know McConnell probably has some method to his madness to keep beating the Red state (D)s up for re-election in November.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...d-kavanaugh-n2516522

Sens. Heidi Heitkamp (N.D.) and Joe Manchin (W.Va.) said they have not heard anything that would lead them to vote against the president’s choice for the highest court, CNN reports. When asked if she had heard anything that would disqualify Kavanaugh, Heitkamp responded, "Not so far." "No, I haven't seen anything from that standpoint," Manchin said, while adding, "He's handled himself very professionally." ...

Kavanaugh’s nomination could pose challenges for Democrats running for reelection in states the president won in 2016. Support for Kavanaugh exceeds 60 percent in North Dakota, Montana, West Virginia, and Missouri.

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
If, and only if, the Reps can confirm Kavanaugh by themselves, some at-risk Dems will be granted permission to vote for him too.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I'd say just vote already, but I know McConnell probably has some method to his madness to keep beating the Red state (D)s up for re-election in November.

Schumer, Booker, and the other Senators in blue states are never going to get voted out, but there's hope in red states.

The RNC should run videos from the hearings in states such as WV with a message "Joe Manchin may be a good guy, but his fellow Democrats have become unhinged. Vote Republican."

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

I think McConnell is enjoying every minute of this... He's making them squirm. Big Grin

Red-state Democrats up for re-election in November are under intense pressure to consider Brett Kavanaugh, even as progressive activists call on Democrats to do everything they can to oppose his Senate confirmation.

Sens. Joe Donnelly of Indiana, Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota, Claire McCaskill of Missouri and Joe Manchin of West Virginia are among Democrats from Trump states whose votes will be closely watched, and they aren’t revealing much about how they’re leaning.

“Is it about the Supreme Court nominee?” McCaskill asked when approached by a reporter Wednesday. “I got nothing.”

McCaskill, along with several others, has said she wants to study his record. Manchin, meanwhile, in a Wednesday radio interview, said Kavanaugh has “all the right qualities,” though he wants to hear from West Virginians.

Democrats can’t afford defections. Republicans control the Senate by a narrow 51-49 majority, which means Democrats will need Republicans to join them if they’re going to defeat Kavanaugh. And Manchin, Heitkamp and Donnelly defected last year on the confirmation of another conservative Supreme Court Justice, Neil Gorsuch.

https://www.usatoday.com/story...kavanaugh/779792002/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post