SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
I didn't really much like Ted Cruz until now. Please go back and watch synthplayer's vid. It's outstanding.

GOD SAVE PRESIDENT TRUMP. Where would we be now without him?

That was a fantastic statement! Thanks, synth for posting it!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38680 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
Way to go Ted Cruz! Very straightforward and to the point.
That's MY Senator! I'm so proud of him! We need 40 more like him.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Ruth Buzzy Ginsburg, anyone else NOT planing to see this bio pic when it comes out in December:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4669788/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Here's the plot summary:

The story of Ruth Bader Ginsburg, her struggles for equal rights and what she had to overcome in order to become a U.S. Supreme Court Justice.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
That's just so creepy. They're terrified of her dying, and eulogizing her before she's dead.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Good lord. I bet none of these idiots would ever vote for her anyhow.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
The biggest problem here is that Roe was a badly written decision....
Oh I'll go a bit further than that. Roe was horrible jurisprudence and likely the biggest failure of the high court. It absolutely should be overturned because it was a garbage decision given there is 'zero' constitutional authority to support it. Justice Kennedy's wet dream decision for gay marriage by trying to wrap it in the 14th amendment is another decision that should be set aside given its also a bastardization of non-existent constitutional authority.

Agreed. Those were poor decisions, IMO. I don't necessarily disagree with their outcomes, but I believe that how we arrive somewhere is every bit as important as where we arrive.

quote:
And this coming from a person who isn't terribly religious, and has only limited interest in this topic.

Same here. Both topics: Abortion and gay marriage.

In fact: I'm libertarian/liberal, depending upon your perspective and definitions. Still: Bad jurisprudence is bad jurisprudence.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
When are we supposed to force a vote on Kavanaugh?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
FFS
Look I really don’t care who you want to fuck. I have utterly no dog in the fight. Make sure nobody gets hurt and keep the noise down after 11 and rock on with your bad self. Man, woman, sheep in green jello what ev’s we all got our kinks.

That being said in that Maine ad NON BINARY PERSON!!! PULLLLLEEEEAAAASE. Look at the end of the day it all comes down to plumbing. You are either a man or a woman. PERIOD. No matter what you think or what you want to do. I could care less if you are a woman who likes women. A man who likes men or either who likes sheep. But for FFS you are either a friggin man or woman. PERIOD. Nature is a fickle bitch regarding this.

Sigh I truly don’t care what “your thing is”. But you are not a GOD DAMNED NON BINARY PERSON!!!!!!

Hallelujah, holy shit. Where’s the Tylenol.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
FFS
Look I really don’t care who you want to fuck. I have utterly no dog in the fight. Make sure nobody gets hurt and keep the noise down after 11 and rock on with your bad self. Man, woman, sheep in green jello what ev’s we all got our kinks.

That being said in that Maine ad NON BINARY PERSON!!! PULLLLLEEEEAAAASE. Look at the end of the day it all comes down to plumbing. You are either a man or a woman. PERIOD. No matter what you think or what you want to do. I could care less if you are a woman who likes women. A man who likes men or either who likes sheep. But for FFS you are either a friggin man or woman. PERIOD. Nature is a fickle bitch regarding this.

Sigh I truly don’t care what “your thing is”. But you are not a GOD DAMNED NON BINARY PERSON!!!!!!

The running commentary I use to offend the millenials around here goes like this. Reach down and pull out the top of your britches and look down. If you see some stuff dangling there you're male. If you don't, you're female. End of topic. Their response is usually priceless. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
FFS

The running commentary I use to offend the millenials around here goes like this. Reach down and pull out the top of your britches and look down. If you see some stuff dangling there you're male. If you don't, you're female. End of topic. Their response is usually priceless. Smile

Plumbing can be switched out. But, the question of whether you're female or male can be answered simply with a DNA test. Perhaps DNA tests should be required in order to obtain a VALID form of ID. Roll Eyes

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10706 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Fox News

Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas poked Sen. Cory Booker over the New Jersey Democrat's much-mocked invocation of "Spartacus" during last week's confirmation hearings for Brett Kavanaugh.

Booker was roundly ridiculed after threatening to defy the Senate rules and release what he thought were confidential documents concerning Kavanaugh’s past,

“This is about the closest I’ll probably ever have in my life to an ‘I am Spartacus’ moment,” said Booker.

Thomas, who called his own contentious confirmation hearing back in 1991 a "high-tech lynching," took a jab at Booker during a conversation with the Federalist Society that aired Wednesday on C-SPAN.

“Honorable – if we could use that word about more people who are in public life, people who actually ask the questions at confirmation hearings, instead of 'Spartacus,'” Thomas said, prompting loud laughter in the audience.

The famously circumspect jurist went to lament that the overtly partisan confirmation hearings may pose a threat to civil society as lawmakers are more interested in scoring political points rather than questions the suitability of nominees.

“If we could use the word honorable more often, think about the difference it'll make,” he said. “Then, you'll have a legacy. We will have left the country in better shape, morally, structurally than we found it.”

“But as long as we're looking at our interests, or scoring points, or looking cute, or being on TV,” Thomas continued, “Especially the legal system, how do we maintain it? If you can't debate hard issues honestly, with honor, with integrity, how do we keep a civil society?”

After Booker's dramatic declaration, it was revealed that the potential 2020 presidential election contender, already had the approval to disclose the emails and the spectacle was merely theatrics.

“We cleared the documents last night shortly after Senator Booker’s staff asked us to,” William Burck, a lawyer working for former President George W. Bush told the New York Times.

“We were surprised to learn about Sen. Booker’s histrionics this morning because we had already told him he could use the documents publicly. In fact, we have said yes to every request made by the Senate Democrats to make documents public,” he added.

“Apparently, someone just wanted to break the rules and make a scene, but didn’t check their email,” a spokesman for committee Republicans said in a statement. “All of this drama this morning apparently was for nothing and it’s unfortunate,” Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, told reporters.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/13...committee/index.html

The Senate Judiciary Committee's vote on Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh has been delayed until next week.

In a vote on party lines, the committee voted on Thursday, 11-10, to set the vote on Kavanaugh's nomination for September 20 .

Posts: 19578 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clarence Thomas is the best!

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Oh look, the "tolerant" Left is showing us their true selves once again. Roll Eyes

quote:

Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME) and her staffers are facing taunts and threats over Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, including a rape threat, reports the New York Times.

Buried under no fewer than ten paragraphs and the anodyne headline, “Interest Groups Turn Up Pressure on Senators Before Kavanaugh Vote,” the far-left New York Times finally gets to the meat of the story with the news that Collins and her staffers are facing “threats” and “vulgar language” from the left-wing Resistance, all of this in the hope of intimidating Collins to vote against Kavanaugh’s confirmation.

“The [left’s] frustration has boiled over at points,” the Times understates. “Annie Clark, a spokeswoman for Ms. Collins, provided The New York Times with copies of a letter and multiple voice mail messages addressed to the senator using vulgar language and outright threats.”

One example of a threat is a “caller [who] told a 25-year-old female staff member at one of Ms. Collins’s Maine offices that he hoped she would be raped and impregnated.”

Resistance Makes Rape Threat to Susan Collins Staffer over Kavanaugh Vote

Posts: 33814 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
The Senate Judiciary Committee's vote on Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh has been delayed until next week.

In a vote on party lines, the committee voted on Thursday, 11-10, to set the vote on Kavanaugh's nomination for September 20 .

Delayed? I didn't cite a source, but back on September 6th I posted that the 20th was already the date the committee planned to vote on.

I think CNN's spinning just a little bit when they say "delayed".

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
Plumbing can be switched out. But, the question of whether you're female or male can be answered simply with a DNA test. Perhaps DNA tests should be required in order to obtain a VALID form of ID. Roll Eyes

Chromosomes gonna hate.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9160 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

Delayed? I didn't cite a source, but back on September 6th I posted that the 20th was already the date the committee planned to vote on.

I think CNN's spinning just a little bit when they say "delayed".

Not at all. The Committee’s rules allow a one week postponement on the vote, which the minority was expected to, and did, demand.

The vote could have been today, but for that procedural maneuver. So, next week it is.

Technically a delay, but one that was fully expected.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Ah, a backdated delay. I'd apologize to CNN, but...that's pretty darn technical, given that the plan is moving along just as it was always expected to.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Side note, there are agnostics and atheists who are also against abortion. It isn’t purely a “religious” issue...

I'm an atheist and I don't have a problem with abortion

my view is that if you're against abortion, don't have one

but if its a decision that the individual wants to make, then the individual should be able to make it

I don't believe it should have ever been a federal issue

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post