SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What did you make for dinner?
Page 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you make for dinner? Login/Join 
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Okay, makes sense using two temperatures as with french fries. However, for doing at home, that's an extra step and extra time, but it solves the issue with thicker cuts.

My wife would have no patience for it...

Frank

Dogs are gifts from God, full of love. Save a life, adopt!

…and God made dogs, and it was very good, and God said: “I’m gonna have to have all of these back.” Genesis 1, gospel according to Mr. Monkey ✡

NRA Benefactor Frown (Go away, Wayne!!! )

GOA, MCRGO, MGO and now JPFO Life Member!

私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです!

Posts: 4404 | Location: too near debt-riot, mitch-e-gan | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crockpot chili

Posts: 3088 | Location: San Marcos,Tx. | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
It's cold today. I could go for some of that chili, extra spicy please. And maybe with a side of soft warm french bread.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - B.Franklin
"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy

Posts: 9165 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Pork chili verde.

I have some leftover pork ribeye roast that I had smoked Monday or Tuesday (they're blurring together) so I diced that up and threw it in the crockpot.

Then, I made up a batch of salsa verde in the blender and dumped that in the crockpot.

Then, I dumped in a can of pinto beans into the crockpot.

Normally, I thin it out with some chicken or vegetable stock but I didn't this time. I'll know in an hour if that was a good or bad decision.

UPDATE: Not thinning out with stock was a great decision. The texture was perfect and both the gf and I loved it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 19879 | Location: N. Houston, TX | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm making menchi katsu. I have some wagyu ground beef. Not sure what menchi means. But basically it's like using a hamburger prepared in tonkatsu style (hamburger patty coated with flour, then egg wash, then panko) and deep fried.

Usual accompaniments are same as tonkatsu - finely sliced cabbage and sauce. But tonight, given the chill, I may make put it over rice with some (japanese style) curry sauce.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - B.Franklin

Posts: 9165 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Hope your menchi turned out to your liking and think that would be great with curry sauce over rice Smile

(don't tell my wife; she was surprised when i put leftover meat sauce she made from scratch on rice nuked from the freezer, rather than boiling pasta, when i was rushing for lunch, today)

Just asked my wife about the meaning of menchi and she couldn't say... she thinks it might come from "minchi," which is sort of like minced and the word we use for ground meat, such as hamburger or ground pork.

Had my first menchi, this past visit, when we were at Asakusa shrine with relatives. It was a bit greasy and disappointing. My wife said the best ones are from butcher shops, just like the best croquettes are from there, but small butcher shops are disappearing there just as they have here Frown

Frank

…and God made dogs, and it was very good, and God said: “I’m gonna have to have all of these back.” Genesis 1, gospel according to Mr. Monkey ✡

私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです!

Posts: 4404 | Location: too near debt-riot, mitch-e-gan | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quick pic. nothing fancy and not as good as the stuff Frank's wife makes. But it was tasty and satisfying. yo wa manzoku ja. Smile (what an emperor or shogun might say when he's satisfied).

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
That looks fantastic!!!

Great plating, by the way Smile

That menchi looks perfect Big Grin

Are those tsukemono (pickles) on the side?

(it's kinda fun to be able to ask you questions Wink )

Think you've been watching too many historical dramas, LOL!

Frank

私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです!

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Kinda. I love pickles / side dishes. There are so many varieties across Japanese and Korean cuisines. I make it once in awhile but usually just buy.

In between both, I use short cuts. This may sound weird and gross but the tsukemono here is daikon radish I put into the liquid left over from a jar of Clauson pickles; I just added some sugar to the liquid, put daikon wedges in and let it soak a couple of days. I know, I’m lazy and it sounds bad. But actually it’s edible. Smile

When I say yo wa in a sushiya (sushi restaurant) with a straight face, the chef will usually look at me strangely for a sec then bust out laughing.

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Not weird, genius perhaps, but not weird.

We love kimchee and there's a jar of nappa in the fridge, but we're anxious to get more of the daikon kimchee we got at the Korean market before. It's just a heck of a trek, but thank you kindly for the incentive. It was delicious!

I appreciate your innovation with making your own quick daikon tsukemono, sir Smile

Oh, now you've got me thinking about butakimuchi (pork and kimchee). Love how the flavor of the kimchee transforms with cooking and how it flavors the pork. Think we posted about maybe 20 pages back?

Frank

私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです!

Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Shrimp and grits.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 14868 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Nothing fancy... Cajun Andouille sausage and mac n cheese.

The later was made with small elbow pasta (al dente before baking), sharp cheddar, parmesan reggiano, milk, sour cream*, and panko crumbs. Big Grin

(* I prefer this to either a roux or eggs mixed into the milk)

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 12384 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Jim and Bob, youse guys both knocked it out of the park!!!

WOW! Big Grin

Frank

私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです!

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I made a fail for dinner. Friend posted this video on FB and I thought it looked good. You roast feta and tomato together, smash with fork, stir in spaghetti, top with basil. Ended up too salty and too strong of a feta taste, I wonder how it would work with 1/2 feta, 1/2 mozzarella? Probably too stringy?

Definitely looks better than it tasted, not sure if I'm going to eat or throw away the leftovers.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 17825 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Wife is on the Daniel Fast for Lent so I am trying to hang with her as much as possible so we made cashew chili Sunday Night.

It was reeally good, but if it was me, after three weeks w/o meat of any kind I'd probably smash my truck through the front door of our local BBQ joint in a meat deprivation-induced fit of insanity.

quote:
Originally posted by MRBTX:
Crockpot chili

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 2779 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of alinc100
posted Hide Post
Had some leftover/unused chicken breasts and a few ingredients from the local store and I'm enjoying this : https://juliasalbum.com/chicke...dDe53LOekmX7EnxfdCUw

of course I added onions, sauteed mushrooms and prosciutto but I almost followed the recipe.

Hawaiian shirts- Apparently I have a closet full of racism....who knew??

Posts: 703 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: April 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
That looks fantastic!

Bet it didn't last long Big Grin

Frank

私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです!

Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
homemade pizza.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1720 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Tonight was okonomiyaki. It's a Japanese stuffed savory pancake-pizza kind of thing you can't stop eating Wink

Frank

私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです!

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Quail, shot this past weekend, shown below on its way into the oven for roasting.

A liberal coating of melted butter, then some salt and lemon pepper, with a little celery just for kicks.

Sorry, I didn't stop for a pic after the roasting -- I was hungry. Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 10697 | Location: Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post