SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The official NHL playoff thread
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The official NHL playoff thread Login/Join 
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Morgan:
The Flyer will probably waste it. I am a Flyers too. What did they give up?

Nothing. It was the draft lottery. The Devils jumped from something like 5 to 1 as well.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Watch the first Kessel goal and you'll see exactly why the Caps keep losing games.

Crosby does his move, passes to Kessel WHO IS WIDE OPEN, Ovi sees the play develop clearly and freakin glides to Kessel giving him an open shooting lane with no pressure. If Ovi had even freakin tried, he'd have broken that play but his laziness created another Crosby highlight reel.

Crosby and Geno both had excellent defensive plays that set up plays and goals at the other end of the ice.

The Caps have a bunch of offensive talent and a slow as hell D corps. Their talent doesn't help the D and they lose. Wash, rinse, repeat.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Well that really sucked. 1-1 is a whole lot different than 0-2. Hopefully the caps can find a way to take it to seven games a pull off a great story.

Looks like I might need to find a Wizards Bullets avatar instead. Frown

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Well that really sucked.
Looks like I might need to find a Wizards Bullets avatar instead. Frown

Big Grin

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrbill345:
Great game with NYR & Lens - now into 2nd OT.

Posted too quick. Senators win in 2nd OT. 4 goals for J.G. Pageau.

How do these guys find us? A guy with a 0.17 GPG rating lights us up for a hat trick +1? Rangers gotta play like they want it, and right now that's just Henrick. Keep making those rookie mistakes and it'll be over in 4. Mad

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Game 3, Pens v Caps.

Looks like Washington figured the only way they could win was to cheapshot Sid. Wilson needs his teeth knocked out. Same with Niskanen.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
I agree Niskanen took a shot. Had it been a third or fourth liner, would it have been a game misconduct or is that automatic with the major now?

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
It looks to me like Crosby was falling from the glancing high stick from Ovechkin.

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
That was a 2 minute penalty for any other player going down. Crosby was falling.

5 minutes in the playoffs you need to really go after and try to kill someone. Crosby falls into Niskanen and he reacts. Two minutes ok but no way was it worthy of five.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16400 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
That was a 2 minute penalty for any other player going down. Crosby was falling.

5 minutes in the playoffs you need to really go after and try to kill someone. Crosby falls into Niskanen and he reacts. Two minutes ok but no way was it worthy of five.

Agreed. But I'll give up the major for the stick above the shoulder. I don't agree with the game misconduct. That was for the number on the jersey.

I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
Watch the replay. Ovi not only slashed and then sticked Crosby in the head, but also slew foots Crosby's left leg. Crosby was on the way down and Niskanen still went for the cross check. There was no rebound to protect from, Holtby had poke checked the puck away.

The replay starts at 1:39

Caps will win this one & may end up with the series.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrbill345:
Watch the replay. Ovi not only slashed and then sticked Crosby in the head, but also slew foots Crosby's left leg. Crosby was on the way down and Niskanen still went for the cross check. There was no rebound to protect from, Holtby had poke checked the puck away.

The replay starts at 1:39

Caps will win this one & may end up with the series.

Gotta love playoff hockey. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Stuff happens so fast in this league. Yes it looked like Niskanen got his hands up but that could have easily been an involuntary reaction to Crosby flying at him rather than an intent to hit Crosby in the head.

Ovechkin clearly should have gotten a slashing call but I don't think he slew footed Crosby I think his foot made incidental contact.

Perfect storm and it sucks to see.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
However this ends, this made me laugh.

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
Should be an interesting game 4.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kuisis:
Should be an interesting game 4.

For sure.

Ovie didn't slew foot anyone. Maybe a slash but after calling the 5 minute which should have been a 2 they where not going to call a slash.

Heck Crosby can heck someones finger off and it's a no call.

I hope Crosby is ok, he's a great player. I just get tired of the calls others get against him and the stuff he gets away with.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16400 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Ovech blantantly slashed Sid. No question he took a whack at his arms.

Then Ovech slew foots Crosby's left foot which throws Sid's balance off. He's already falling to the ice when he's cross checked in the head.

In real time I don't think the crosscheck happens to the head if Ovech doesn't commit the two flagrant fouls. D man got caught but it wasn't a purposeful targeting of Sid's head.

But for the actions of Ovech, the crosscheck doesn't happen. No supplemental discipline but the video will be used for training future refs.

Posts: 4078 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palm:
Stuff happens so fast in this league. Yes it looked like Niskanen got his hands up but that could have easily been an involuntary reaction to Crosby flying at him rather than an intent to hit Crosby in the head.

Ovechkin clearly should have gotten a slashing call but I don't think he slew footed Crosby I think his foot made incidental contact.

Watch the video. Especially angle at 1:54. Niskanen's eyes are looking at play/puck. Didn't even see Crosby until he was flying at him at hip/chest level. Just natural reaction to someone coming at you, there was no targeting going on. Wasn't even looking at him.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Watch the video. Especially angle at 1:54. Niskanen's eyes are looking at play/puck. Didn't even see Crosby until he was flying at him at hip/chest level. Just natural reaction to someone coming at you, there was no targeting going on. Wasn't even looking at him.

Yeah that's what I was assuming. It's so tough to comprehend how fast these guys are really going and how a slight involuntary movement can look really bad if the timing is right.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I've watched the video. From the original angle, 1:40-1:43 on that video Niskanen's head is up and he is looking at the play. And the NHL's stated policy is that a player is responsible for his stick.

Ovi has a history of slew footing opposing players as well as jumping to make hits; though, at least, he has pretty much stopped that.

And Trotz calling the whole thing "a hockey play" is simply ridiculous.
quote:
“I thought it was really a hockey play. If you look at it, Sid’s coming across. Holts throws his stick out there. He gets split. He’s coming down. Nisky goes to the back post. That’s where the puck is going. He just sort of ran into him. Unfortunately, Sid got injured there. It’s just hockey. A hockey play. Unfortunately, he got hurt.”

Beyond that, the officiating was horrible and typically inconsistent. Earlier in the game Shattenkirk hooked Cullen right in front of one of the referees - no call. Earlier in the game Malkin was penalized for grabbing the puck with his hand. Marcus Johansson did the same thing in the OT on his play which led to the Daley penalty. Rule 67.2 in the NHL Rules and the rule didn't change. The Daley's "holding" penalty was also ridiculous as Daley's stick made contact with the puck before knocking Johansson down. It wasn't even a hold.