SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games)
Page 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... 109

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games) Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
So many compstitutional skolars in the NFL...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://www.breitbart.com/sport...nes-anthem-comments/

No one knows what was said when Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones met with his team on Wednesday to discuss his statement that Cowboys players would respect the flag, or not play.

However, given that the song “F*ck Donald Trump” could be heard as the media entered the locker room, it’s safe to say tensions remain somewhat high.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I do hope they players continue to push the issue, because this needs to come to a head.

Posts: 107594 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

NFL letter today:

"Commentary this morning about the Commissioner's position on the anthem is not accurate," said the league. "As we said yesterday, there will be a discussion of these issues at the owners meeting next week.

The Commissioner is going to waffle again? I can't imagine how ugly it's going to be for the NFL if he does.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
America is winning... bigly!
Keep up the boycott! No retreat!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
Linked at Drudge, NFL now the 7th most divisive brand in the USA. Article is replete with charts and graphs that I can't post here, so you'll have to go to the NY Times site to read it and see them: LINK

The top ten most divisive companies:
1 Trump Hotels
2 CNN
3 NBC News
4 The New York Times
5 MSNBC
6 Fox News
7 National Football League
8 ABC News
9 HuffPost
10 CBS News

Even HuffPost scored better!

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Keep squeezing.....

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I do hope they players continue to push the issue, because this needs to come to a head.

Yeah, these 'Constitutional scholars' don't realize that they are only hurting themselves (and thousands of 'regular Joes' who work in the stadiums). I would LOVE to see the league collapse and see these millionaire prima donnas on the streets trying to earn a REAL living.

As far as the nfl goes, I wonder how much $$$$ this has cost them so far. Surely, it's in the millions, with no sign of letring up.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21846 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Report This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Just a thought.

Maybe these NFL guys will decide to become sovereign citizens.

Imagine the nonsense that would be spewing if this occurred.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Whenever I hear these clowns about "I know my rights"
But you don't...as in hear them. What we get most of the time are prepared remarks from the media, press releases from the team's promotional staffs, loose comments from people who know the players, complicit team owners, and the like. As our own sdy has noted frequently throughout this thread, lets have the media do video taped interviews with the players themselves and specifically ask them what this protest is all about. But rest assured, we won't ever see that. If we did, we'd either hear/see brain dead twaddle, tantrums in response to President Trump, or comments condemning the police and white supremacy, all of which would only further destroy the NFL.

The NFL has completely hosed itself by aligning itself with the mental morons prancing around the field. Unfortunately, for them, they got run over by the tractor trailer that is the American public.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
"The top ten most divisive companies:
7 National Football League ..."

How can that be ? All they talk about is "unity".

We are all supposed to be linking arms, kneeling together, being social justice warriors, disgracing the anthem, condemning the police, voting for Democrats, ...

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
1 Trump Hotels
2 CNN
3 NBC News
4 The New York Times
5 MSNBC
Quite interesting that a certain related group of companies occupy four of the top five slots on that list.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
The NFL has completely hosed itself by aligning itself with the mental morons prancing around the field. Unfortunately, for them, they got run over by the tractor trailer that is the American public.

Posts: 107594 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
The League/Owners let the Players violate THEIR rules, now they can't get their Employees back into their roles...

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8356 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Report This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:
Linked at Drudge, NFL now the 7th most divisive brand in the USA. Article is replete with charts and graphs that I can't post here, so you'll have to go to the NY Times site to read it and see them: LINK

1 Trump Hotels
2 CNN
3 NBC News
4 The New York Times
5 MSNBC
6 Fox News
7 National Football League
8 ABC News
9 HuffPost
10 CBS News

Even HuffPost scored better!

I question "Trump Hotels" how many people EVER been in a Trump Hotel??

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8356 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Report This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

Yeah, these 'Constitutional scholars' don't realize that they are only hurting themselves (and thousands of 'regular Joes' who work in the stadiums).

They don't realize anything except for themselves.

These morons, all of whom had their intellectual growth stopped at the age of 10 yo, have been coddled all of their lives, never had the experience of a real job. They have been raised to be self-centered neanderthals, by their families, by their coaches, their teachers, principals, their communities.

They wouldn't know a "right" from a hole in the ground. Their "rights" only pertain to their own selfish wants. But their stupidity outweighs their selfishness. When 80% of NFL player go broke after their little game ends, one must wonder how such a group has any say in anything.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16699 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Report This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
The real losers in this mess will be the taxpayer and the Federal money spent to build the stadiums.

NFL risks billions in publicly funded stadiums as millionaire players stage kneeling protests

Taxpayer costs are always controversial, but issue has been elevated by demonstrations

By Jeff Mordock - The Washington Times - Thursday, September 28, 2017

American taxpayers shelled out billions of dollars to build the stadiums that National Football League players are now using to stage their kneel-down protests of the national anthem.

The players say they have a right to express their displeasure with racism in the U.S. with their protests, but lawmakers say the NFL could be risking its access to the public trough if the team owners don’t get a grip on the situation.

“These protests are spitting in the face of the people who paid for that stadium,” said state Rep. Steve Drazkowski, a Republican in Minnesota, where the NFL’s Vikings team just opened a stadium built with more than $500 million in local and state financial assistance. “It will create buyer’s remorse among the taxpayers.”

With figures adjusted for inflation, Minnesotans will pay out nearly $1.3 billion over the next 30 years for the stadium.

It’s one part of the more than $6.7 billion in public funds taxpayers have shelled out to build 19 NFL stadiums and renovate three others since 1997.

Some of that assistance comes in the form of municipal bonds, which are exempt from federal taxes. All told, federal taxpayers have helped underwrite some $13 billion in bonds to build or renovate stadiums — spanning all sports — since 2000, according to a Brookings Institution study.

Brookings estimated that the federal government has lost as much as $3.7 billion in tax revenue on the bonds, exceeding the $3.2 billion in savings they created for stadium owners.

Those taxpayer costs are always controversial, but the issue has been elevated by the NFL players’ protests.

Former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick sparked the issue last year when he took a knee during the anthem to protest police brutality against blacks.

The protests really took off this month, though, after President Trump said owners should fire the kneelers.

An estimated 200 NFL players participated in leaguewide protests this past weekend. Some teams — including the Seahawks and Steelers — refused to take the field while the anthem played.

Republican state-level politicians responded by calling for an end to taxpayer-subsidized arenas. Kenneth Havard, a Republican legislator in Louisiana, proposed cutting tax breaks for his local team, the New Orleans Saints. Mr. Havard said Louisiana spent $85 million to repair the Superdome after Hurricane Katrina amid threats that the team would relocate to San Antonio.

“Most Louisiana residents can’t afford to even walk in the Superdome, and these players are protesting a system that is giving them the opportunity to make millions of dollars playing football,” Mr. Havard said.

NFL players earn an average of $1.9 million per year, according to league data. The median salary in the United States is about $44,000, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported.

“These players are earning millions, and the average soldier who is keeping the Superdome from being blown up is only earning about $40,000,” Mr. Havard said. “That is a huge slap in the face to them.”

Spokeswomen for the NFL and its Players Association did not respond to email and phone call requests for comments.

The league ran into problems with Congress over public financing after Sens. John McCain and Jeff Flake, both Arizona Republicans, revealed that the NFL often charged the Pentagon for moving tributes to U.S. troops during games.

The lawmakers dubbed the practice “paid patriotism” and said 18 NFL teams charged the military, as did 10 Major League Baseball clubs, eight National Basketball Association teams, eight Major League Soccer clubs and six National Hockey League teams.

Congress rushed to adopt legislation prohibiting the military from paying for tributes, and the NFL scrambled to change its policies. After an internal review, the league returned more than $700,000 to the government.

Likewise, the federal tax exemption for municipal bonds used to build stadiums has been a target for years. President Obama sought to end the practice in 2015, but Congress never considered his plan.

Sens. Cory A. Booker, New Jersey Democrat, and James Lankford, Oklahoma Republican, picked up the issue this year, introducing legislation to end the use of bonds to finance stadiums.

A spokesman for Mr. Lankford said interest in the bill was increasing even before the kneel-down protests became widespread.

Proponents of using taxpayer dollars for stadiums insist the projects fuel economic growth. However, Brookings researchers and others who have studied the issue say the investment isn’t worth the return.

“I tend to be skeptical that the benefits are worth all the outrageous subsidies,” said Ted Gayer, one of the Brookings study’s co-authors.

Some politicians have called on Congress to punish the NFL for the kneel-down controversy by stripping it of its limited antitrust exemption. The last time that was threatened was in 2014, when the NFL was dealing with accusations of rampant domestic violence among players.

Mr. Trump hasn’t threatened any federal action but has said he expects NFL owners to deal with the situation. He initially called for players who protested to be fired. On Wednesday, he said the league is “in a very bad box.”

“In my opinion, the NFL has to change or you know what’s going to happen? Their business is going to go to hell,” he said.

At the state level, lawmakers are expressing displeasure with the anthem protests.

Pennsylvania state Sen. Chuck McIlhinney, a Republican, sponsored a resolution condemning the protests. Another Republican, Tennessee Sen. Paul Bailey, issued a statement calling the protests disrespectful.

“I won’t witness the hijacking of pregame ceremonies that disrespect our flag and challenge the honor of any of the men or women who have sacrificed to preserve our freedoms to enjoy these leisure-time activities,” Mr. Bailey said.

https://www.washingtontimes.co...isk-stadium-funding/

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Report This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I hope you are sitting down for this, and I am sure it will happen...

http://profootballtalk.nbcspor...ational-anthem-rule/

If you make me stand for the anthem I will take my toys and go home.

Archerman

Posts: 2486 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Bye Felicia......NEXT!!!

Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
OMG, Rishard! Please reconsider and don't do this!

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15483 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Report This Post