SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 109

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
NFL starts new season sitting for National Anthem. Update Pg 91 (And it continues with 2018 Pre-Season games) Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
And you have a lack of respect for your core audience. This will equate to lower revenue and lack of interest in the NFL.
But please, feel free to make your point and I'll feel free to ignore you.

Yep.... keep pushing it until all the stadiums are empty!

The San Francisco 49ers Thursday night game against the Los Angeles Rams kicked off in front of a nearly empty stadium.

Los Angeles Times reporter Lindsey Thiry tweeted a photo at the time of kickoff, which showed thousands of open seats. In fact, most sections in the photo have more empty seats than fans.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/09...sday-night-football/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
“an unfortunate lack of respect for the NFL.”

LOL

Have respect for the country when you take tax money to play thugball.

Posts: 9964 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I thought the NFL controlled every part of player's uniforms, at least at games.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:....If the NFL wanted to discourage this disrespect they can, but they don't...

And that's the whole point.

The NFL may be in a lose/lose situation. If they favor the Flag, they will offend some minorities, liberals, media looking for opportunities to stir up stink using megaphones. If they give in, they will offend some portion of their fan base. Which will have the greatest economic impact?

Personally I would think that giving their players freedom to express their opinions, left or right, would please most people. But both sides have a lot of people who are easily butthurt. The right thinks the NFL supports Kapernick because they let him kneel. The left thinks the NFL is racist because Kapernick doesn't have a job.

You can only try to please reasonable people on both sides.

I never watch sports for the players political beliefs (or any other opinion for that matter), much like I wouldn't watch CSPAN to see Nancy Pelosi trying to play football. This is about entertainment! I could care less what any player has to say about anything. Not really a hard concept to comprehend. Most folks are tired of being PREACHED AT by someone that is being paid to play a damn kids game.

Think about this for a moment: NATIONAL football league has a group of players that refuses to support the NATION that allows them to do what they do and get paid ungodly amounts of money by not standing for the NATIONAL Anthem.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
With the price of tickets there must be a demographic difference between stadium viewers and broadcast viewers. Media contracts are longer term where attendance hits the pocket quicker- Who's bread and butter is stadium attendance vs broadcast revenue.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell fired back at President Trump:

“divisive comments” show “an unfortunate lack of respect for the NFL.”

I don't know this liberal idiot Goodell from Adam, but the irony is so thick. His little minions can disrespect the flag, National Anthem, military and LE, and their paying customers, but demands respect for his fucked up organization. What a tool, acts like a leftist scumbag, must be one.

In a past life, I used to be a basketball junkie, and the current NFL reminds me of the NBA back in the 70s, a league populated by a bunch of black-power, pimp-emulating, law-breaking drugsters and the customers at the games and TV disappeared. It took Magic and Larry Bird, plus Commissioner David Stern to turn it around. I don't see this happening in the NFL right now.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16699 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:....If the NFL wanted to discourage this disrespect they can, but they don't...

The NFL may be in a lose/lose situation. If they favor the Flag, they will offend some minorities, liberals, media looking for opportunities to stir up stink using megaphones. If they give in, they will offend some portion of their fan base. Which will have the greatest economic impact?

Personally I would think that giving their players freedom to express their opinions, left or right, would please most people.
This comment irritates the hell out of me when people bring it up. No one has suggested these morons can't hold a controversial, even adversarial position, assuming they possess the mental capacity to even form a thought. But its beyond absurd and asinine that the owners don't squash this ridiculous behavior when it occurs in 'their' uniforms, in 'their' house, on 'their' parole, and in direct disrespect of 'their' customer base. The drop in ratings and almost incalculable number of negative comments around the country are evidence this is a topic most NFL fans (as well as many others) will not support. The NFL owners have decided to let a group of illiterate thugs walk them toward the abyss, while they pray people either forget about this over time or the thugs (the mental midgets they are) will eventually tire of their antics. After all, they can only fling poo at eat other for so long, right?

And stow the Crapernick broke no rules nonsense. He broke the most important commandment/rule of all...Thou shall not screw with the owner's revenue, unless you're the absolute best of the best of NFL players (and even then there are limits).

The NFL was rarely aired in my home prior to all this BS, but these morons have provided me a reason to actively insure it will never be aired on any of my TV's from this point forward.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
“Divisive comments like these demonstrate an unfortunate lack of respect for the NFL, our great game and all of our players, and a failure to understand the overwhelming force for good our clubs and players represent in our communities.”

The NFL chief's comments came the morning after Trump told a crowd at a rally for Alabama Senate candidate Luther Strange (R) that NFL players will stop kneeling if fans left games.

"When people like yourselves turn on television and you see those people taking the knee when they are playing our great national anthem – the only thing you could do better is if you see it, even if it's one player, leave the stadium," Trump said. "I guarantee things will stop."

Trump also said NFL owners should fire players if they refuse to stand during the national anthem.

"Wouldn't you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, 'Get that son of a b---- off the field right now,'" he continued, adding, "'He is fired.'"

Doesn't the NFL enjoy an anti-trust exemption?

Allowing the leagues to act as a monopoly has helped them reap billions of dollars each year, thanks mostly to lucrative broadcasting contracts....

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Personally I would think that giving their players freedom to express their opinions, left or right, would please most people.
This comment irritates the hell out of me when people bring it up. No one has suggested these morons can't hold a controversial, even adversarial position, assuming they possess the mental capacity to even form a thought. But its beyond absurd and asinine that the owners don't squash this ridiculous behavior when it occurs in 'their' uniforms, in 'their' house, on 'their' parole, and in direct disrespect of 'their' customer base. The drop in ratings and almost incalculable number of negative comments around the country are evidence this is a topic most NFL fans (as well as many others) will not support. The NFL owners have decided to let a group of illiterate thugs walk them toward the abyss, while they pray people either forget about this over time or the thugs (the mental midgets they are) will eventually tire of their antics. After all, they can only fling poo at eat other for so long, right?

And stow the Crapernick broke no rules nonsense. He broke the most important commandment/rule of all...Thou shall not screw with the owner's revenue, unless you're the absolute best of the best of NFL players (and even then there are limits).

The NFL was rarely aired in my home prior to all this BS, but these morons have provided me a reason to actively insure it will never be aired on any of my TV's from this point forward.

Amen, bigdeal. Glad now I don't have to type all of that. The right to freedom of expression...please, don't make me laugh at such nonsense. The players disrespecting the flag are doing it on the field, on the clock, and on the owner's dime. They are representing the team and the nfl as a whole. That the team or the nfl tolerates this is mind boggling to me. If the players had instead been doing this disgraceful nonsense on their own time, this would hardly be an issue.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
Trump comments on the NFL:

"Wouldn't you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, 'Get that son of a b---- off the field right now,'" he continued, adding, "'He is fired.'"

I'd wager if NASCAR driver Billy Joe Jimbob took a knee during the Anthem or some other nonsense, not only would he be fired,
he'd never start the race. In fact, he might get tied to the back bumper of the Pace Car and dragged around for the pace lap. Big Grin

Posts: 11223 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Report This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trump comments on the NFL:"Wouldn't you love to see one of these NFL owners, when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, 'Get that son of a b---- off the field right now,'" he continued, adding, "'He is fired.'"

Every couple of days, my President says something that just makes me smile Smile Smile Smile

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
And you have a lack of respect for your core audience. This will equate to lower revenue and lack of interest in the NFL.
But please, feel free to make your point and I'll feel free to ignore you.

Yep.... keep pushing it until all the stadiums are empty!

The San Francisco 49ers Thursday night game against the Los Angeles Rams kicked off in front of a nearly empty stadium.

Los Angeles Times reporter Lindsey Thiry tweeted a photo at the time of kickoff, which showed thousands of open seats. In fact, most sections in the photo have more empty seats than fans.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/09...sday-night-football/

I am not an NFL fan in any way, but I DO like the looks of that stadium. It would be even better with a bit less spectators. The vendors have to be taking a huge hit!!

Posts: 6619 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Report This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
I haven't watched to pro flakes in years.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
Professional athletes and entertainers are too highly compensated.

What does that have to do with this?

And it isn't true anyway. They are paid a market price. Back to Microeconomics 101.

Besides, isn't condemning the NFL because a few players are behaving like asses a little like condemning all gun owners because a few of them are nuts?

Kinda. Except I'm not asking govt. to take away their freedom to protest. In my case, I just don't want to see the protest. I think if I had to see it during the anthem it would ruin the mood of the whole game. So why watch it? I'll just do something else and advocate others do the same. Eventually, anyone associated with the protestors will be suffer some consequence. Maybe if these protestors found themselves isolated one day they'd think about it a little more. I doubt it though.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
The owners of the Falcons, Packers, Jets, Giants, and Dolphins have put out statements calling it divisive. It's disgusting.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Report This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
The commissioner is a moron. The NFL will continue to decline as long as he's in charge. I just hope the owners realize it before it's too late.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Report This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Wonder if any of these players' kids stand and recite the Pledge of Allegiance at school.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Report This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
And building those empty stadiums is such a good use of our tax money Roll Eyes

http://profootballtalk.nbcspor...lion-from-taxpayers/

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
The owners of the Falcons, Packers, Jets, Giants, and Dolphins have put out statements calling it divisive. It's disgusting.

Wait - what are they calling divisive? The disrespect the players are showing to our anthem and flag, or Trump's comments?

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
The commissioner is a moron. The NFL will continue to decline as long as he's in charge. I just hope the owners realize it before it's too late.
For clarity, the owners 'own' the commissioner, and can fire his worthless ass any time they choose. They've refused to do anything about this nonsense, so the commissioner not doing anything, even condoning this crap, is right in line with the owner's position on the topic.

I said it in another thread, and I'll add it again here. I expect stupidity out of the human garbage running around on the field. They're illiterate, ungrateful, semi-civilized, drug addled thugs. But the owners are none of these things, yet have chosen to let the worst of their employees disrespect the very people who put cash in their pockets. I simply do not get their position on this, given the negative ramifications its reeking on their cash cow. But alas, I also no longer give a damn since I don't care if I ever see another NFL game.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post