SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Elaborate college cheating scam! Yay!!
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 23
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elaborate college cheating scam! Yay!! Login/Join 
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
This is strange. They must be doing this on the advice of legal counsel. Maybe the attorneys think they found some technicality that will get them off. If so they better damn well be sure of themselves because the more push back the government gets from the Loughlin's the harder they are going to come down on them if they have them dead to rights.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I am not so sure about technicalities. People can have amazing degrees of denial. Addictions are one good example. Many alcoholics do not believe they drink too much. I have seen some defendants maintain their innocence after being convicted of murder with lots of forensic evidence and witnesses. Those in law enforcement see it regularly.

Defense attorneys will know all about the case, how strong or how weak the case is once they have discovery items from prosecution.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
It looks like they're going to use the ol' "I'm stupid and had no bad intentions defense" Roll Eyes

Lori Loughlin and husband Mossimo Giannulli didn't think they broke any laws in the college admissions bribery scam, a new report claims.

The couple have pleaded not guilty to charges related to allegedly paying William "Rick" Singer $500,000 to get their daughters, YouTube star Olivia Jade and aspiring actress Isabella, into the University of Southern California (USC). The girls reportedly posed as crew team recruits despite not being coxswains.

Insiders told Entertainment Tonight that Loughlin felt deceived by Singer, scam mastermind-turned-cooperating witness, about the severity of what she and Giannulli were doing.

"[Lori and her husband] claim they were under the impression they might be breaking rules, but not laws.They feel they were manipulated by those involved and are planning that as part of their defense," a source told the outlet. "They realize how serious the charges are, but feel that once the judge hears their story he will see they had no bad intentions."

After the couple rejected a plea agreement that "Desperate Housewives" star Felicity Huffman and several others implicated in the scheme accepted, prosecutors slapped Loughlin and Giannulli with additional charges of money laundering and conspiracy to commit fraud. If convicted of all charges against them, Giannulli and Loughlin may face up to 40 years behind bars.

"When Lori heard the number of years she could spend in prison she broke down crying. The thought of being separated from her loved ones for years brought her to her knees. She has watched as the other families cut deals but her husband feels they are not guilty and should plead not guilty," the source said.

The source denies the former "When Calls the Heart" star and the fashion designer are truly guilty of the charges based on their own ignorance, but admits that a judge and jury may not see it that way.

"They in no way felt they were money laundering," the source claimed. "They thought the money would be used for a donation and to benefit the school. Even so, this has been one of the toughest decisions of Lori‘s life."

The insider added, "[Their friends] have explained to them that they cannot just plead ignorance. In the end, she trusts those who are advising her and somehow believes there is a chance she will go free." Another source said Loughlin initially assumed she'd just get "a slap on the wrist."

https://www.foxnews.com/entert...dal-manipulated-scam

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
"When Lori heard the number of years she could spend in prison she broke down crying. The thought of being separated from her loved ones for years brought her to her knees.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
The insider added, "[Their friends] have explained to them that they cannot just plead ignorance. In the end, she trusts those who are advising her and somehow believes there is a chance she will go free." Another source said Loughlin initially assumed she'd just get "a slap on the wrist."

Ignorance is no excuse of the law. Maybe they haven't heard that before? Roll Eyes

Welcome to the real world.

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:

Ignorance is no excuse of the law. Maybe they haven't heard that before? Roll Eyes
It's entirely possible. A lot of folks have never had serious refusals in their lives and also very little real-life upbringing.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
It looks like they're going to use the ol' "I'm stupid and had no bad intentions defense" Roll Eyes

Depending on what crimes they're charged with and the elements of each particular crime, it could be a valid defense. For example, in criminal tax cases, the taxpayer's mens rea may be a critical element of proving a crime was committed. "Mens rea" is intent or motive. Sometimes ignorance of the law really is a defense.

FWIW, I have no idea what these parents have been charged with. Their knowledge or intent may be complete irrelevant when it comes to proving guilt.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
"They in no way felt they were money laundering," the source claimed.

Well, then, they should just be cut loose. After all: They feel they weren't doing anything wrong

Wow. They truly are well off in left field.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
[Lori Loughlin and her husband] realize how serious the charges are, but feel that once the judge hears their story he will see they had no bad intentions."

They must have sought counsel from Jim Comey; he knows all about intent.

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
If anyone is looking for a risky way to bet their money, I suggest purchasing lottery tickets rather than making assumptions about what judges will do. One of the most memorable cases for me involved a couple of GIs who committed a series of strongarm robberies in Germany. The one who accepted the prosecution’s deal to plead guilty and roll over to testify against his buddy ended up with a longer sentence than the one who denied everything and was convicted by the court martial.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
When I was in college the theater majors who were actors were just as dumb as jocks. Completely self absorbed and set up with a schedule of cupcake courses in other disciplines so they'd get (not earn) their degree. Glorified parrots.

Theater majors who were techies though - a whole 'nother story.

I'm sure Ms. Loughlin ain't a rocket surgeon. Wink

I'll give Ms. Huffman a little credit for being bright enough to take the deal.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by:
The girls reportedly posed as crew team recruits despite not being coxswains.

That must not mean what I think it means. Wink

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:
Originally posted by:

Coxswains sit and yell “Stroke!” “Stroke!” Eh, Wait.
Well, “ The etymology of the word (coxswain) gives a literal meaning of "boat servant" since it comes from cock, a cockboat or other small vessel kept aboard a ship” Yea, that’s not going to work either.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:
Originally posted by:

Coxswains sit and yell “Stroke!” “Stroke!” Eh, Wait.....

RAMMING SPEED!!!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29699 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I guess the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree Roll Eyes

Mossimo Giannulli, who along with wife Lori Loughlin has been charged with fraud stemming from the college admissions scam, took his parents' tuition money for University of Southern California (USC) but never actually enrolled, according to reports and his own daughter, Olivia Jade.

Giannulli, 55, admitted as much himself in a resurfaced 2016 interview.

“SC was expensive, so that was how I was starting my company. I used all that cash,” he told The Hundreds, allegedly "unapologetically."

Giannulli lived in a frat house despite not being enrolled in USC, where he screenprinted T-shirts for campus groups, which he says sparked his ambition. “I used to have hundreds of thousands of cash in my top drawer in my fraternity house. And I was like, ‘This is kind of too easy. I need a bigger platform. If I had a bigger account base, I could really kill it.’”

The fashion designer reportedly attended USC for the 1984 spring semester at the College of Continuing Education, which is a non-degree program with no official admission requirements and that is open to anyone. Students in the program have "visitor" status at the school.

Olivia Jade recounted Giannulli's quasi-college experience on "The Zach Sang Show" on March 8, shortly before he and Loughlin, 54, were each arrested and released on $1 million bonds.

“I don’t know if I am supposed to say this, sorry dad," the 19-year-old YouTube star said. "But [he] was like never enrolled in college, he faked his way through it. Yeah, so then he started his whole business with tuition money that his parents thought was going to college.”

https://www.foxnews.com/entert...lled-usc-olivia-jade

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
People can have amazing degrees of denial.

Are these degrees BA or BS? It's nice to know what a quarter of million dollars can buy.

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Yawn.

The insider leaking to People is probably Laughlin herself or some hack PR firm that's trying to see what kind of potential defense will stick or what the mood of the public (potential jury pool) is.

Posts: 4078 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Though it irked me that the libtard Tom Arnold has been blasting Giannulli as a vocal Trump supporter and that somehow got to do with anything Mad

Link

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107589 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
YouTube star Olivia Jade Giannulli is reportedly moving out of her family’s Bel-Air mansion in California to "focus on her own life" amid parents Lori Loughlin and Mossimo Giannulli’s alleged involvement in the college admissions scandal.

Focus on your own life??? Ha!! Girl, your own life is the only thing you focus on. GMAFB, you spoiled little brat. 24/7/365.25, it's all about Precious.
Yeah, I read this today too. Her focus on her own life thing may be short lived if investigators expand the charges to include her (and they should) in the prosecution.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://townhall.com/entertain...ge-cheating-n2546221

"Desperate Housewives" actress Felicity Huffman pleaded guilty in a Boston courthouse Monday to shelling out $15,000 to correct her daughter's SAT scores in 2017 before eventually deciding against the plan.

Huffman's sentencing is expected in 3 to 4 months' time and prosecutors want her to face 4 to 10 months in prison.

Judge Talwani: "Miss Huffman, do you have any dispute that you reached an agreement and ultimately paid Mr. Singer $15,000 to enable Mr. Riddell to correct your daughter's SAT test?"

Felicity Huffman: "No, your honor."

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post