SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Elaborate college cheating scam! Yay!!
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 23
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elaborate college cheating scam! Yay!! Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Felicity Huffman is another actress charged.

One of the many parents caught up in what’s known as Operation Varsity Blues, she’s scheduled to be sentenced Sept. 13.

federal prosecutors recommend that Huffman :

- spends a month in prison

- face a year of supervised release

- and pay a $20,000 fine

https://www.yahoo.com/entertai...andal-020110372.html

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lori Loughlin case seems much more severe than Huffman's

I love how the media keeps calling it “prison”. As far as I know, you aren’t processed through the DOC (state or federal prison systems) unless the sentence is more than 365 days.
Anything less than that is served in county jail.
I haven’t ever been to either, but I have a feeling county jail is a lot damn better to spend some time in, than a state/fed max security system.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

And her and her husband are going to fight it, despite having been caught dead to rights, which certainly won't endear them to either the prosecutors or the court <smh>

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I haven’t ever been to either, but I have a feeling county jail is a lot damn better to spend some time in, than a state/fed max security system.

Actually federal custody is a much better situation. State prisons and county jails are not places you want to spend time. There are certain exceptions such as those in Hollywood where some celebrities have spent weekends in jail. I have worked in both in some capacity. If they spend time in prison they will be going to minimum security federal facilites.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
]

I love how the media keeps calling it “prison”. As far as I know, you aren’t processed through the DOC (state or federal prison systems) unless the sentence is more than 365 days.

Local jails are worse than State run DOC or the federal level...the local jails are more restrictive, less visiting, less movement, etc...I’ve seen guys in county jail beg to go to DOC just because they can smoke there.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most folks here would rank prison over jail in terms of amenities. Jails have limited activities where the prison system does a lot more. You also serve every single day of a jail sentence here, but prison time is generally cut to 50% just for showing up.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2661 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

And her and her husband are going to fight it, despite having been caught dead to rights, which certainly won't endear them to either the prosecutors or the court <smh>

I suspect that their lawyer has sold them a bill of goods. Perhaps both parents have been living the good life so long, they are out of touch of the real world. Most likely a prosecutor will nail Lori and her husband to the wall, make a name for himself, and an example of the couple. I am guessing 5 years in the Graybar Hotel, plus cash.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

One of the many parents caught up in what’s known as Operation Varsity Blues, she’s scheduled to be sentenced Sept. 13.

- and pay a $20,000 fine

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yeah, no. If the judge gives you a year and a day, he's doing you a favor.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
I suspect that their lawyer has sold them a bill of goods. Perhaps both parents have been living the good life so long, they are out of touch of the real world. Most likely a prosecutor will nail Lori and her husband to the wall, make a name for himself, and an example of the couple. I am guessing 5 years in the Graybar Hotel, plus cash.

Maybe, maybe not. Most people plea out in Federal court because of the "fear" of losing and the belief that the Feds dont file unless they have you dead to rights. But the feds do lose and more than you realize. Look up Hélio Castroneves and his issues with the Feds, and the ass kicking his attorneys gave the Feds in what was a slam dunk case.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
What do the feds do for short termers? Do they lease space in county jails? I know they have some holding jails, but do they keep short term convicts there also?

quote:
quote:

- and pay a $20,000 fine

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe, maybe not. Most people plea out in Federal court because of the "fear" of losing and the belief that the Feds dont file unless they have you dead to rights. But the feds do lose and more than you realize. Look up Hélio Castroneves and his issues with the Feds, and the ass kicking his attorneys gave the Feds in what was a slam dunk case.
^^^^

That was a complicated tax case, without the attendant publicity. They did get Snipes though! LOL

I am aware that the Feds lose. Sometimes in a rather spectacular fashion. It is just that the Federal government can financially outlast the financial resources of the average Joe.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
What do the feds do for short termers? Do they lease space in county jails? I know they have some holding jails, but do they keep short term convicts there also?
]

The feds pay a set rate for the prisoner being in the local jail....but you can’t tell the difference when you visit the jail, the prisoners all wear the same stuff, eat the same food, have the same amenities...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I read the other day Laurie and her husband Mossimo’s marriage is pretty much on the rocks. She’s claiming he’s the one that convinced her they shouldn’t take the feds plea deal and plead innocent. Someone since has pointed out to her how serious this is and how stupid of a move that was. And poor Olivia Jade is reportedly mortified of the thought that mommy and daddy may get a divorce. All because Laurie treated her daughters as if they were status symbols rather than her daughters. Dysfunction comes in many forms.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:. They did get Snipes though! LOL.

The judge got Snipes. He beat the felonies, was convicted of 3 MM and the judge whacked him with consecutive 1 year sentences. Which was BS, but his defense for not filing tax returns was some some Non-Citizen/Sovereign Citizen BS that I guess the judge did not find humorous.

Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
Wow, a great story for a Hallmark movie! Smile

Posts: 3201 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Most likely will be home incarceration, lots of community service for them, you just don't put criminals of this type of crime in with mainstream hardcore criminals, and vis a versa...

A nice large ankle bracelet which won't be fashionable and a big fine....

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
You also serve every single day of a jail sentence here, but prison time is generally cut to 50% just for showing up.

Try 25% around here.

And credit for time served pre-sentencing, so actually even less.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Looks like she got all the justice money can buy!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Looks like she got all the justice money can buy!

Huffman "took" nothing. She used money to get her kid into college and paid to have someone take her daughters SAT. Had her daughter gotten into college, there is no allegation that she was going to apply fraudulently for student loans or scholarships. The Feds have been careful it seems not to claim some other party was damaged or denied a seat at that school due to her actions. Did she break the law, yes, but is society less safe is she is allowed to roam free? (and the other lady should not have gone to jail either, but different circumstances)

Here is the issue with all of the Fed cases, compare the football or basketball team's SAT scores with the scores of the kids who's parents have been charged with these crimes.

BTW, Kelley Williams-Bolar did 9 days in jail. Tanya McDowell went to prison for selling crack and weed to undercover cops. But never let facts get in the way of a good story.....

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
Huffman "took" nothing. She used money to get her kid into college and paid to have someone take her daughters SAT. Had her daughter gotten into college, there is no allegation that she was going to apply fraudulently for student loans or scholarships. The Feds have been careful it seems not to claim some other party was damaged or denied a seat at that school due to her actions. Did she break the law, yes, but is society less safe is she is allowed to roam free? (and the other lady should not have gone to jail either, but different circumstances)

Here is the issue with all of the Fed cases, compare the football or basketball team's SAT scores with the scores of the kids who's parents have been charged with these crimes.

BTW, Kelley Williams-Bolar did 9 days in jail. Tanya McDowell went to prison for selling crack and weed to undercover cops. But never let facts get in the way of a good story.....

So you are saying money and access to top level counsel plays no role in our justice system? Got it...LOL

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post