SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Elaborate college cheating scam! Yay!!
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 23
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elaborate college cheating scam! Yay!! Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
The funny thing us that just bribing your way into this wasn't good enough for these people. No, they had to go the extra mile and write it off on their taxes. Enjoy your next 5-10!!!

I don't believe anyone is going to serve time, it never works out that way.

Most likely they'll plead out the case, fines will be levied, any taxes due will be paid, mea culpa's will be in written documents that won't be in the papers, utoob or instagram.

I think you're wrong and so was I a few posts back. Huffman is probably going for 6 months. Because she took the plea deal and humbled herself,admitted her guilt and accepted responsibility before the government. The government likes this.

Laughlin on the other hand never thought she would go to prison thought the government attorneys were bluffing and seen no reason to accept the plea deal and did not want to admit guilt or humble herself before the Federal attorneys. Instead she treated he court appearances like it was a night at the Oscars. Signing autographs and glad handing outside the courthouse. The government does not like this. Next thing she gets more charges dropped on her and shit is becoming real now. She pissed prosecutors off and her legal advisers didn't know enough to know when the government had them by the short hairs. They played a stupid game and now are winning stupid prizes.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The irony of all this is that if Loughlin and her husband had simply allowed their daughters to be what they want to be- just a couple of know-nothing, well-paid youtube whores, then none of this would be happening in their family.

That dim bim Olivia Jade said on youtube some months ago that she didn't even want to go to college, but oh, mommy just had to make it happen.

Isn't that ironic, Olivia Jade? Look it up, ho. i-r-o-n-y

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The irony of all this is that if Loughlin and her husband had simply allowed their daughters to be what they want to be- just a couple of know-nothing, well-paid youtube whores, then none of this would be happening in their family.

That dim bim Olivia Jade said on youtube some months ago that she didn't even want to go to college, but oh, mommy just had to make it happen.

Isn't that ironic, Olivia Jade? Look it up, ho. i-r-o-n-y

So true. Lori was big on status symbols and wanted the kids to have the USC grad designation. The one daughter could have done her social media influencing and make-up career without going to college.

Now she's destined to have a career of nothing, maybe a brass pole or perhaps being besties with Paris Hilton. Maybe the Kardashians can work her in.

Posts: 4077 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
Now she's destined to have a career of nothing, maybe a brass pole or perhaps being besties with Paris Hilton.

Paris Hilton isn't the dim-bulb blond bimbo many take her to be. She took a few wrong turns, sure, but it turns out she's actually quite talented--in several respects, and is doing quite well in her own right.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
She's just a rich, spoiled whore.

And so's her brother

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the LA times:
Many of the children did not even play the sport for which they were recruited, prosecutors say, and by the time they arrived on campus nearly all of them had dropped off their respective teams.

But not Isackson.

When she was admitted as a recruited soccer player in June 2016, a UCLA student-athlete admissions committee required she play on the team for at least one year, the indictment says.

And so Isackson — who prosecutors say lacked even the modest accolades listed on her biography — was given the No. 41 jersey in 2017 on a team of all-stars and pros-in-waiting. Every other player on the roster was assigned a jersey number between 00 and 28.

Her fellow freshmen were heralded as the second-best recruiting class in the nation. It included the top recruit in the country, a member of the Canadian national team, and five players on the U.S. youth national team. A university press release quoted head coach Amanda Cromwell saying, “When all is said and done, this class may be one of the best.”

Isackson did not play competitive soccer before matriculating at UCLA, prosecutors say, and yet for an entire season she was listed as a midfielder on the roster of a team that finished the 2017 season as runner-up to national champion Stanford. Her profile on a Pac-12 website says she made no appearances and played no minutes during the season.

Tod Tamberg, a spokesman for UCLA, said student privacy laws prevented him from discussing the situations of individual students. But he said all teams at UCLA “include student-athletes with varying levels of athletic achievements.”

“Some team members are on the roster for the purposes of preparing the team for competition, and may not play in games,” he said Monday.

A 2017 media guide describes Isackson as a practice player. According to her UCLA biography, her “greatest athletic thrill” did not come on the soccer field, but on horseback, when she became champion of her riding division two years in a row.

Isakson is not on the team’s current roster. She is still a student at UCLA, according to Tamberg.

MY COMMENTS: Having played high school sports, and witnessed the skills on the collegiate level, this had to be really hard on the kid. I am not excusing this behavior, but what were they thinking??

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
MY COMMENTS: Having played high school sports, and witnessed the skills on the collegiate level, this had to be really hard on the kid. I am not excusing this behavior, but what were they thinking??

Sorry, no shits to give.

Why the fuck is the LA Times calling these people "Children" ??? Was she too stupid to know why she was on the soccer team? How dumb can these "children" be?

Somehow we're supposed to feel sorry for these spoiled brats?? Fuck'em. I actually had to work for my future.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
And now they may be going after the kids.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/feds...al/story?id=62373521

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

When you have somebody take your test for you - you ARE complicit regardless of your age.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The one article makes is clear that they are targeting adults who were over 18 at the time of the crimes. Use of the term “adult children” in what I read was evidently to avoid having to find some substitute such as “get,” “spawn,” or even “offspring.” Someone over 18 may be a “kid,” but they’re not minors and they can be held legally responsible for their involvement just the same as any other adult.

The conspiracy and racketeering laws that are involved in this matter have been on the books for a long time, and they cast some very wide nets.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I read all this stuff and simply shake my head.

I started college in 1973(?) while working 60+ hours a week as an IBM customer engineer.

At that time we were also building a house on the weekends, that house was about 90 miles from where we were living. Wife would have all the clothing, food, etc packed ready to be loaded when I got home after midnight. We took off immediately, a 2 hour drive. I slept for 2-3 hours when we got there, then got up and started with the carpentry/building work. Spent some time studying, then on Sunday evening drove home to get ready for work and school.

Did that until that second house was completely finished. My college load? 2 majors, minor in accounting, a second minor in economics.

A couple years later got transferred to Poughkeepsie, NY. While there finished up my education with an MBA.

So, I have ZERO sympathy or understanding for these assholes who think that what they did to "get that degree" was just fine! They should all, including the "kids" do some quality time with big bubba in the federal slammer.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

When you have somebody take your test for you - you ARE complicit regardless of your age.
Good.

It also may be some form of leverage vs the parents...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Other than the tax scam aspect of this, I still see no reason for the federal government to be involved in this case. The fact that they are means that some of the laws they're using need to be challenged on 10th amendment grounds, or revoked by congress.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Other than the tax scam aspect of this, I still see no reason for the federal government to be involved in this case. The fact that they are means that some of the laws they're using need to be challenged on 10th amendment grounds, or revoked by congress.

I'm fine with FBI resources being used in this manner. Better than a lot of other things they sometimes do.

Plus there's a certain Schadenfreude for me in seeing these Hollywood types go down after using their Hollywood influence. Is that wrong??

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's a far too selective process who the government drops the heavy hand on for sure but anytime it becomes a tax violation it's impossible to avoid the feds.

These elites were just that... elites with too much money but not powerful or politically connected. So they get the brunt of the government power while so many others do far worse and walk without nary a question. It's not fair but still fun for us serfs on a gun forum to watch.

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.foxnews.com/entert...in-mossimo-giannulli

Lori Loughlin and her fashion designer husband, Mossimo Giannulli, pleaded not guilty Monday in the sweeping college admissions bribery scam, Fox News has learned.

In court documents obtained by Fox News, Loughlin, 54, and Giannulli, 55, said in the filing they are waiving their right to appear in court for an arraignment and plead not guilty.

The "Fuller House" actress also requested to waive her appearance for an arraignment in the college admissions scandal, the Department of Justice told us.

Loughlin and Giannulli did not appear in court and it is currently not known if the judge will permit the pleas without them present.

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Lori Loughlin and her fashion designer husband, Mossimo Giannulli, pleaded not guilty Monday in the sweeping college admissions bribery scam, Fox News has learned.

Uhm... doesn't the government have them pretty much dead to rights? What could they expect to achieve by this?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As far as jail time, I think it is quite possible. Remember, the Feds jugged that notorious desperado, Martha Stewart.
Some of the lesser participants might skate, but for those who ran the operation for years, it will be pretty easy to prove a continuing criminal enterprise.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

Uhm... doesn't the government have them pretty much dead to rights? What could they expect to achieve by this?

This is strange. They must be doing this on the advice of legal counsel. Maybe the attorneys think they found some technicality that will get them off. If so they better damn well be sure of themselves because the more push back the government gets from the Loughlin's the harder they are going to come down on them if they have them dead to rights.

posted Hide Post
quote:
This is strange. They must be doing this on the advice of legal counsel. Maybe the attorneys think they found some technicality that will get them off. If so they better damn well be sure of themselves because the more push back the government gets from the Loughlin's the harder they are going to come down on them if they have them dead to rights.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I am not so sure about technicalities. People can have amazing degrees of denial. Addictions are one good example. Many alcoholics do not believe they drink too much. I have seen some defendants maintain their innocence after being convicted of murder with lots of forensic evidence and witnesses. Those in law enforcement see it regularly.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post