SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Virginia Governor election 7 Nov 2017 UPDATE: Virginia may need a coin toss to determine who won a local state House race
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Virginia Governor election 7 Nov 2017 UPDATE: Virginia may need a coin toss to determine who won a local state House race Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://freebeacon.com/politics...lespie-for-governor/

The Richmond Times-Dispatch, one of Virginia's biggest newspapers, on Friday endorsed Republican Ed Gillespie for governor.

In the last Virginia gubernatorial election, the Times-Dispatch did not endorse any candidate.

Gillespie is facing off against Democratic Lt. Gov. Ralph Northam for the office currently held by Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D.), a close friend of Bill and Hillary Clinton.

"Republican Ed Gillespie has run an energetic, inclusive, moderate-conservative, solutions-oriented campaign," the endorsement reads. "His detailed, in-depth proposals reflect a refreshing respect for the intelligence of the voters."

"Gillespie revives the pragmatic, open-minded Republican Party that for so long served Virginia well by emphasizing effective government that focuses on core responsibilities while limiting regulation and keeping taxes as low as possible," the endorsement adds.

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I hope and pray that Gillespie wins this election.

In the long run, I'm afraid that our state is fucked. The population of the commonwealth is increasing, but the population of rural Virginia (mostly Republican) is decreasing. The population increases are primarily in Northern Virginia (mostly Democrat).

If anyone is interested, here is a talk recently given at the Virginia Historical Society explaining our demographics in detail.

I visited Mount Vernon with the VHS Wednesday. POTUS1 would NOT be pleased with his state now nor with what his country has become.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
The Richmond Times-Dispatch, one of Virginia's biggest newspapers, on Friday endorsed Republican Ed Gillespie for governor.

The RTD is also a typical liberal newspaper, too. So this endorsement is pretty surprising.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The TD is hardly a typical liberal newspaper.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
A Democratic group led by former Attorney General Eric Holder is pumping another $250,000 into the Virginia governor's race

The funds bring total spending in the race to $1 million by the group

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
The TD is hardly a typical liberal newspaper.

the Editorial page is usually right leaning,

most of the columnist and articles are left leaning, some to the point of falling down,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Each side keeps crowing about polls showing they’re winning. Guess the lessons of 2016 are already forgotten. Roll Eyes

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...to-sanctuary-cities/

Virginia Democrat gubernatorial candidate Ralph Northam finally cracked under pressure, flip-flopped, and admitted that he would sign legislation that would ban sanctuary cities in Virginia.
Republican gubernatorial candidate Ed Gillespie rose in the polls in recent months by appealing to Trump’s nationalist-populist and conservative base, promising to ban sanctuary cities in Virginia and crack down on the dangerous MS-13 gang in Northern Virginia.

On Wednesday, Northam said that under certain circumstances he would sign legislation that would ban sanctuary cities.

“If that bill comes to by desk … I sure will. I’ve always been opposed to sanctuary cities. He knows that,” Northam said, speaking of his Republican opponent, Ed Gillespie.

Northam defended his previous vote that prevented a bill banning sanctuary cities from going to the governor’s desk, calling the previous bill a “political game,” which was meant to “promote fearmongering.”

I wonder how the Latino Victory Fund people feel about Northam's new position? (The ones who did the ad w the Gillespie supporter trying to run down minority kids)

Seems like the DEMs are pretty worried. I hope that worry is justified.

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Each side keeps crowing about polls showing they’re winning. Guess the lessons of 2016 are already forgotten. Roll Eyes

My wife is registered as an Independent: as such, she receives calls from the DNC pollsters. At first she was cordial and said no thanks. Now, she has gone to trolling them Wink She tells them, YES, she will be voting for Northam, Fairfax, and Herring. It's funny because she's most definitely not....she's even more conservative than me Big Grin Yeah folks, keep betting on those polls!

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
The rats are scurrying to jump off the ship:

Progressive group ends 'direct aid' to Northam

A progressive grassroots group announced Thursday that it will no longer "directly aid" Virginia's Democratic gubernatorial candidate Ralph Northam, citing his comments on immigration.

Democracy for America (DFA) announced in a statement that it would no longer mobilize voters in Virginia to vote for Northam, and instead would focus on down-ballot races.

The DFA had never officially endorsed Northam, but had worked on coordinated campaign efforts.

The group pointed to Northam's comments saying he would oppose sanctuary cities in the state of Virginia as one reason for pulling "direct aid" from his campaign.

"Ralph Northam's gutless, politically senseless, and morally debased decision yesterday to openly backtrack on his commitment to standing up for immigrant families is a picture-perfect example of why Democracy for America never endorsed him in the primary and focused the entirety of our efforts in Virginia on down-ticket races, like Justin Fairfax's campaign for Lieutenant Governor. It's also why, today, we're announcing that we will no longer do any work to directly aid Northam's gubernatorial efforts," DFA Executive Director Charles Chamberlain said in a statement.

Northam said Wednesday that he would sign a bill banning sanctuary cities in the state if ever one of Virginia's cities tries to become one, to harbor illegal immigrants from federal immigration authorities. The issue remains a major issue for Democrats, who are pushing back against the administration's moves to deport record numbers of law-abiding illegal immigrants.

They also criticized the decision by the Virginia Democratic Coordinated campaign to leave Justin Fairfax, a candidate for Lt. Governor, off of literature given to canvassers.

"Following that racist action, we decided to remove Northam's name from the tens of thousands of volunteer Get-Out-the-Vote calls our members are making in Virginia, but, for the sake of Democratic comity, we refrained from publicly discussing that decision," the statement continued referencing the lack of Fairfax's name on literature.

While Fairfax has called the incident an "accident," it has caused discontent within the party and among African American voters just weeks away from the tightening race against Republican opponent Ed Gillespie.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another encouraging sign; here deep in Fairfax Co. where it's mostly D in my area a gentleman was handing out Gillespie materials yesterday. The dam may be cracking!

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife is registered as an Independent

Actually, she isn't. Virginia does not register party affiliation

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
A special plea: Please don't throw away a vote for Gillespie to vote for the third party candidate

Without the third party candidate in 2014 we would be talking about VA Senator Gillespie (R) rather than VA Senator Warner (D)

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
quote:
My wife is registered as an Independent

Actually, she isn't. Virginia does not register party affiliation

True. I had to think on that for a minute once I saw it. Best I can figure is that she fits the target demographic and they continue to hound her for support. It's still quite hilarious either way. She strings them along and the democrats can't figure out why poll numbers don't add up Cool

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
A special plea: Please don't throw away a vote for Gillespie to vote for the third party candidate

Without the third party candidate in 2014 we would be talking about VA Senator Gillespie (R) rather than VA Senator Warner (D)

Not this year, this is, besides the importance to me personally, a yuge referendum on Trumps tenure, and the American way vs progressivism

Commonwealthers, please make sure to vote, and run this douche bag Northam out of town.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
“If that bill comes to by desk … I sure will. I’ve always been opposed to sanctuary cities. He knows that,” Northam said, speaking of his Republican opponent, Ed Gillespie.

BADABAAAAAH-BAH-BOMP! Adios to any margins Northam was hoping for in Northern Virginia, and we'll see what kind of turnout he gets in the college towns. My WAG is that it's cut in half.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...ino-victory-fund-ad/

For the second time, Virginia Democratic Lt. gubernatorial candidate Justin Fairfax refused to condemn the “sickening” Latino Victory Fund (LVF) ad that featured an Ed Gillespie supporter attempting to run over minority children.

On November 4, a Virginia resident asked Fairfax if he would like to disavow the Latino Victory Fund ad. Fairfax turned his back and refused to offer a personal condemnation.

Fairfax first refused to disavow the LVF ad during a November 1 interview with WRVA host Jeff Katz; Fairfax declined to denounce the ad and claimed that he had not seen the ad after it became the top news story in Virginia.

Fairfax told radio host Katz, “Well, here’s the thing. I haven’t seen the full ad. I’ve heard about it and read about it like you said. I’ve been on the road a lot over the last couple of days. But here’s the thing, and this is the ultimate irony, Ed Gillespie has run one of the worst, most race-baiting, fear-mongering, hate-filled campaigns that we have ever seen in the Commonwealth of Virginia.”

says the guy who won't disavow the ad that was so bad they had to pull it

The Winchester Star wrote an editorial condemning Fairfax’s lack of leadership on the Latino Victory Fund ad. The Winchester Star slammed the ad, calling it, “outright despicable.”

Washington Post condemned that ad

posted Hide Post
Tomorrow is the day vote!

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hey! I like stuff
posted Hide Post
Traveling for work, voted absentee this weekend, very interested in the outcome.

Posts: 2756 | Location: Sterling, VA | Registered: July 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping for a very big surprise for the Dems. Voters are quite fed up with their identity politics and I've been seeing quite a few folks turned off because of the statue protests.