SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tour de France 2017
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tour de France 2017 Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Remember when Greg Lemond won by 8 seconds, on the last day time trial in Paris, over Laurent Fignon?

Aero bars haven't been the same since!

Here's the Wikipedia article about that race:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Tour_de_France

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWyfb3H7LEg

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
How about that naked fan running up the last climb next to Mollema. Haha.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

Warren Barguil retains his big green jersey lead. Tomorrow is a rest day.

Of course you mean Kittel retains the Green jersey.

Warren Barguil maintains the Polka Dot jersey.

You are right, of course. It has always seemed to me that the KOM and sprint jerseys ought to be swapped. The polka dot jersey seems more appropriate for the sprint leader (hot spots). And the green jersey for the green mountains. I often get 'em wrong because of that. Thanks for the correction!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Matthews won both sprint stages (including the finish) in today's stage 16. He's now only 29 points behind Kittel in the green jersey competition.

All of the top GC guys finished with the same official time as Matthews, except Contadore, who was 1' 33" back – he's toast.

Edit: Daniel Martin also lost 51".

Serious about crackers

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Matthews won both sprint stages (including the finish) in today's stage 16. He's now only 29 points behind Kittel in the green jersey competition.

This has been the closest, most competitive green jersey competition in years. Same for the yellow jersey in fact. Just a great all around bike race this year.

quote:

All of the top GC guys finished with the same official time as Matthews, except Contadore, who was 1' 33" back – he's toast.

Yeah, well, he had already accepted that fact I'm sure. He's even said that his goal going forward is to just go for stage wins. I wouldn't be surprised to see him attack on tomorrow's mountain stage or go in a break away. Gonna be a fun day to watch tomorrow.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Primož Roglic won today's hilly stage 17 today. Urán, Froome, Bardet, and Barguil finished next, in that order, 1' 13" back, with the same official times (before bonuses, I think). Froome now leads Urán and Bardet by 27", and Aru by 53" in the GC.

And Matthews has the points lead. By 160 points over Kittel! (If TourTracker is correct – seems a bit much to me.)

Barguil is KOM, with Roglic next.

Edit: I just read that Kittel abandoned after crashing.

Correction: Matthews' 160 point lead is over Greipel, rather than Kittel. That makes more sense.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
As I had suspected, Contador made a gallant effort at the beginning of the stage to get away into a breakaway and take a chance at a win. Unfortunately for him he just didn't have the legs today.

I was never a huge Contador fan but he's really earned my respect the last few years. This tour especially has made me appreciate him. I love to see riders go for it even if they are facing a long shot. He certainly hasn't played it safe. Chapeau, Alberto.

At this point the odds are very much in Froome's favor. Barring a disaster tomorrow, he should cruise through the time trial and once again roll down the Champs-Élysées in yellow.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Barguil won today's hilly stage 18 today. Three riders, including Bardet and Froome, finished 20" back. Urán was 22" back. The other GC guys lost significant time. Baring major mishap, Froome has a lock on the yellow jersey. And Barguil on the polka dot.

Serious about crackers

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Marciej Bodnar won today's stage 20 time trial. Froome finished third, only 6" back, putting more time into all of his GC rivals. Unless some catastrophe prevents them from completing tomorrow's customary gentle ride, Froome and Barguil have the yellow and polka dot jerseys locked up. The sprinters still have some racing to do, but I don't think that enough points are at stake for anyone to take Matthews' green jersey.

Serious about crackers

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
... but I don't think that enough points are at stake for anyone to take Matthews' green jersey.

Nope.

My interest tomorrow (besides the final sprint of course) will be if there is a battle for third. Right now there is only a one second difference between Romain Bardet in third and Landa in fourth. That one second is the difference between standing on the podium tomorrow or not. If I were Landa, I'd go for it. Bardet's team will be all over him though. Could be fun to watch.

The racing though of course won't really get going til they get close to the Champs-Élysées and swoop down onto the cobbles. Nine laps I believe. Allez!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The 2017 Tour de France is officially concluded! On the podium:

GC: #1 - Chris Froome; #2 - Rigoberto Urán @ 54"; #3 - Romain Bardet @ 2' 20".

KOM: #1 - Warren Barguil, 169 points; #2 - Primož Roglic, 80 points; #3 - Tomas De Gendt, 64 points.

Sprints: #1 - Michael Matthews, 370 points; #2 - André Greipel, 234 points; #3 - Edvald Boasson Hagen, 220 points.

Serious about crackers

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
A good article about Chris Froome (and Wiggins):

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/artic...rth-Tour-France.html

Serious about crackers