SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tour de France 2017
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tour de France 2017 Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Porte has crashed and being fitted for a neck brace it looks like!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Oh god, that crash with Ritchie Porte was nasty. I hope his injuries aren't too serious. Ugh. It makes me cringe.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Geraint Thomas crashed out too. Probably not an overall contender since he's on Froome's team, but he was second on GC going into the stage.

Posts: 2491 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Froome was 3rd in today's stage 9, but had the same official time as the winner, as did Fabio Aru. Froome put major time into Quintana and even more into Contadore. He's going to feel the loss of Geraint though. Aru is certainly his biggest threat.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9003 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I predicted that some of the sprinters wouldn't make the time cut today because of the brutal stage 9 climbs. Indeed, that was the case. Notable victims were Arnaud Démare, a green jersey contender, and Matteo Trentin, a lead-out guy for Marcel Kittel, who currently holds the green jersey. The sprinters simply aren't built for such a course.

Tomorrow is a rest day. The riders are ready for that!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9003 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Yesterday I predicted that some of the sprinters wouldn't make the time cut today because of the brutal stage 9 climbs. Indeed, that was the case. Notable victims were Arnaud Démare, a green jersey contender, and Matteo Trentin, a lead-out guy for Marcel Kittel, who currently holds the green jersey. The sprinters simply aren't built for such a course.

That is almost always so. They lose so much time in the mountains, they have no hope of yellow in Paris. Sprinters go fo stage wins, climbers go for mountain stage wins. The guy in yellow avoids the flat sprint chaos and keeps a wary eye on the pure climbers.

Remember when those skinny South Americans drove everyone nuts in the Alps and Pyrenees year after year? They finished high in GC but seldom won outright.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
RICHIE PORTE suffered a broken pelvis following a horrific crash on day nine of the Tour de France today that ended his race, while Geraint Thomas broke his collarbone on a controversial afternoon of cycling.

Link

Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
RICHIE PORTE suffered a broken pelvis following a horrific crash on day nine of the Tour de France today that ended his race, while Geraint Thomas broke his collarbone on a controversial afternoon of cycling.

Link

That crash was brutal and could have been worse. He was doing 45mph!

Posts: 2080 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Froome comments on stage 9:

“Coming to the finish, I was grateful to keep yellow and pick up those bonus seconds,” Froome said. “It was a day full of incident. [Losing Thomas] is a massive blow to the team.”
To take down Froome, his rivals will need to attack to try to isolate him, and then turn the screws. The mutual interests of Astana and Ag2r-La Mondiale could see some collusion on the road.

Though he won’t be happy with his slender lead, Froome just needs to stay close. Porte [now out of the tour] was his only rival who could potentially match him in the Marseille time trial. The others will need a big head-start to have any real hope.

http://www.velonews.com/2017/0...ge-gc-threats_443292

Serious about crackers

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Marcel Kittel won the sprint finish of today's stage 10 to extend his green jersey lead.

275 points – Kittel
173 points – Matthews
150 points – Greipel

All of the top GC contenders finished with the same official time as Kittel.

Serious about crackers

posted Hide Post
Now you see why Sagan was DQ. Cycling is dangerous enough as it is. The sport already has enough of an image problem. The last thing the teams, organizers and above all the sponsors want to see are bloody bodies on the side of the road because some euro trash half-wit can't control his ego. If you want to see sweaty guys in spandex playing grab ass, watch WWE.

-----------------------------------

Posts: 2424 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oilpatch29:
Now you see why Sagan was DQ.

No. Sorry. I still have no idea why he was DQ'd.

And if cycling has an image problem, Peter Sagan is the farthest thing from it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When a rider hip-checks someone into the barriers and ends his tour and possibly his career, he's a problem.

Posts: 2424 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
When a rider hip-checks someone into the barriers and ends his tour and possibly his career, he's a problem.

What in God's name are you talking about?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

posted Hide Post
If I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand.

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I have to explain it to you, you wouldn't understand.

Don't freaking patronize me. I'm an avid cyclist.

Even Cavendish's team recognized that there was nothing intentional in what Sagan did.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

posted Hide Post
Well I raced for 12 years, intent's got nothing to do with it. Accidental or intentional he still fucked somebody up royally.

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I'm well aware that you have.

And let's not kid ourselves, Cavendish was just as responsible for that crash if not more so.

I suppose we should just agree to disagree at this point.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

posted Hide Post
We can agree on that. I won't wedge myself between Sagan (assuming that I could Wink) and the barriers for all the tea in China.

posted Hide Post
The general consensus among the announcers is that Aru should have ignored Froome's mechanical woes and continued his attack. Are the days of gentlemen racers over?