SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tour de France 2017
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tour de France 2017 Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Retarded decision to DQ Sagan. Simply retarded.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
Sagan's elbow move pales in comparison to the actions of Cavandish in past Tours.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgshooter:
Sagan's elbow move pales in comparison to the actions of Cavandish in past Tours.

Never seen any evidence the elbow ever contacted Cavendish. I think the disqualification was for not holding his line and the resulting crash.

Posts: 7457 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Chris Froome took 3rd in today's stage 5 mountain finish. 20s behind winner Aru, but it was good enough to get him into his usual attire – the yellow jersey.

Aru: "I’m amazed. I attacked with three kilometres to go and gave it everything. I wanted to see who would move because Team Sky was setting a fast pace. I wanted to see what they had. The final 300 metres were terrible but then when I look back with 200 metres to go and I knew I’d got it.

Chris Froome congratulated me after the stage. That’s nice from a three-time winner. We’re going to fight each other for three weeks but it’s important to fight right to the end of the race."

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cav tries to get into a hole that doesn't exist, puts his head into Sagan's side to try and push him off line. Sagan pushes back. Cav most likely would have wrecked even without that if you look at the footage, he's pretty reckless. But that's bike racing, especially sprinting, but to DQ someone? Totally asinine.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I disagree with the DQ as well. It is in the DNA of sprinters to push, elbow, shove, bite and just about anything else to get a stage win in The Tour. Certainly Cavendish has done plenty of elbowing his way to a win in the past. Maybe after years of bad press from doping the organizers are getting a little overzealous..

Posts: 137 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: February 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Marcel Kittel, Arnaud Démare, and Andre Greipel took 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in the sprint finish of stage 6 today, but Démare retains the green jersey. All of the top GC contenders finished with the same official time as Kittel – no major drama today.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Marcel Kittel won the sprint finish of stage 7 today (by 6mm!), booting Arnaud Démare out of the green jersey. All of the top GC contenders finished with the same official time as Kittel. Again, no major drama today. One interesting thing – Edvald Boasson, Cav's lead out guy, took 2nd place.

With a category 1 climb near the finish, tomorrow's stage will be more telling for the GC contenders.

Serious about crackers

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Marcel Kittel won the sprint finish of stage 7 today (by 6mm!),

I am surprised it was 6mm. was that the official, final determination ? In the photos shown on TV coverage it was indistinguishable! They must have used microscopes.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Sour grapes here, with the DQ of Sagan - have little interest in daily following the results. UCI is a bunch of idiots. Rant off.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Lilian Calmejane (French) won stage 8 today. It was a day for the climbers, with a cat 1 climb near the finish. Calmejane's good effort also won him the polka dot (King of the Mountains) jersey.

All of the top GC riders finished 50s back, so Froome retains the yellow jersey. Fabio Aru (Italian) is showing himself to be a GC threat.

Serious about crackers

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Chris Froome comments in VeloNews about tomorrow's stage 9:

“I think after today’s tough stage, tomorrow (Sunday) will be very, very hard and very selective for the overall contenders,” added Froome.

“And definitely there will be riders who gain time and others who lose time.”

Sunday’s ninth stage is 181.5km long from Nantua with seven categorised climbs, including the three steepest of this year’s race, and a technical descent to the finish in Chambery.

Most of all, Froome is wary of the Mont du Chat climb which peaks 25km from the finish, and which he and other contenders sampled during last month’s Criterium du Dauphine.

“That climb’s savage, especially coming quite late in the race — it’s the fourth big climb of the day,” said Froome.

“It’s 10 kilometres at more than 10 percent gradient.

“It’s going to blow the race apart.”

http://www.velonews.com/stages...#ZurKS3FGDm0xazUg.99

Serious about crackers

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow's stage is going to be brutal. Those climbs are just plain nasty. Six miles at over 10%? Lord have mercy...

Besides the very unfortunate loss of two great riders in the beginning of the Tour, I've enjoyed this year's race so far. I don't doubt that tomorrow won't disappoint either.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Tomorrow's stage is going to be brutal. Those climbs are just plain nasty. Six miles at over 10%? Lord have mercy...

Besides the very unfortunate loss of two great riders in the beginning of the Tour, I've enjoyed this year's race so far. I don't doubt that tomorrow won't disappoint either.

Yep. We're starting to see who is a clown and who wants to be a cowboy when the road turns up.

I remember sitting by the side of the road in the Laguna Mountains east of San Diego one day, taking a break on a ~80 mile training ride, and realizing that no matter how much we trained, how hard it seemed, this was nothing. We weren't going to be worth a pimple on the butt of a Tour rider, no matter what.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow’s stage 9 climbs look so tough that I’m thinking that some of the sprinters won’t survive the time cut.

Serious about crackers

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Yep. We're starting to see who is a clown and who wants to be a cowboy when the road turns up.

I remember sitting by the side of the road in the Laguna Mountains east of San Diego one day, taking a break on a ~80 mile training ride, and realizing that no matter how much we trained, how hard it seemed, this was nothing. We weren't going to be worth a pimple on the butt of a Tour rider, no matter what.

I once used to try and compare my ride numbers to those of professional cyclists. It didn't take me long to realize that professional riders, particularly those who are chosen to ride in Grand tours such as the Tour de France, are almost super human compared to everyone else. That's not even overstated. Super human. It's incredible the power they can put through those pedals for the sustained amount of time that they do.

Imagine averaging 11-12 mph at over 9-10% gradient for six plus miles. That's easily a sustained 400 + watts. Insane. The average person simply can't imagine how hard that is. You and I surely understand it. Words though can't do it justice.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
^the Big Nasty-3000 feet in 7 miles...oh to be young again. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3521 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
Imagine averaging 11-12 mph at over 9-10% gradient for six plus miles. That's easily a sustained 400 + watts. Insane. The average person simply can't imagine how hard that is. You and I surely understand it. Words though can't do it justice.

Little Cottonwood Canyon - up to the finish at Snowbird. After struggling to maintain 6 mph up that thing, I went back and watched the pros go up it at 2X or more my speed - pretty impressive. Dombrowski won it that year and he looked pretty good going by.

I am also impressed with their ability to maintain a 25-30 mph pace in the "flats"

"It doesn't get easier, you just get faster"

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Geraint Thomas, Froome's ablest lieutenant, has crashed out of tour on stage 9. Dangerous descents! Bad break for Thomas (and Froome).

Serious about crackers

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
The stamina and pace of professional riders is ASTOUNDING!! I once finished a 100k ride in just a couple of minutes over 3 hours. About 5 minutes behind me was a group of about 30 or so pro/semi-pro riders doing the Century Ride. I just shook my head in bewilderment and drank my beer.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post