SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Has Anyone Recently Renewed Global Entry?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has Anyone Recently Renewed Global Entry? Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted
I am curious if anyone has recently renewed their Global Entry and if so when and how long it took. I submitted my renewal application in mid-February and it still says as of today “Pending Review.” The renewal application asked for a lot more information than last time. There is also a message on their website saying that due to the past government shutdown they are severely behind on processing applications and to expect a significant delay.

I am just curious of how significant of a delay to expect. I wonder if it will now be like a NFA application and you have to wait 9 months. I am glad I submitted my renewal one year before my current card expires and I didn’t wait until the last moment. Our government at its best. This is a renewal, not a new application so it should be much quicker. Same can be said for NFA applications, but sadly that is not the case.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
mine doesn't expire for another 3 years, but won't the number be the same?

I've used my number perhaps 40 or 50 times since I got it, and no one has ever asked for my card

I don't even carry it

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

I've used my number perhaps 40 or 50 times since I got it, and no one has ever asked for my card

I don't even carry it

Much like a renewed passport, I would expect your new Global Entry number to also be different. I haven't gone through a renewal yet myself though.

And the card is only really necessary if you are driving across the border. Yeah, you can leave it home when flying otherwise.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:

I don't even carry it

This is my first renewal, but I would imagine the number will stay the same or it may change like a renewed passport. If your Global Entry expires, both the card and the Known Traveler Number itself will no longer be valid until it is renewed. The only time I have to show my card is when entering back into the country with U.S. Customs at a border crossing.

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife just had hers renewed within 3 weeks, I'm on week 5 and waiting. She had a passport renewal recently, maybe that sped up her Global Entry renewal.

Posts: 187 | Registered: December 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Renewed mine in February '19, it was approved the next day and took about 3 weeks to receive the new GE card. GOES/PASS ID number remains the same - no interview requirement for the renewal. Curiously, when returning from Taiwan in March the US agent in SFO asked to see my GOES card when I presented him the kiosk printout.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
If the number changes that would be a slight PIA. You would have to change it with every airline you fly with.

The card is only needed when crossing a land border coming back into the US and even then you still need a passport to get into the other country. I've used my card once coming back to the US from Canada on a land border. Some crossing point has express lines and the card lets you use them or at least that's how it was a few years ago.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16398 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mke229:
My wife just had hers renewed within 3 weeks, I'm on week 5 and waiting. She had a passport renewal recently, maybe that sped up her Global Entry renewal.

I just renewed my passport within the last 6 months, but I am at 2 months waiting so far for my Global Entry renewal.

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
Renewed mine in February '19, it was approved the next day and took about 3 weeks to receive the new GE card. GOES/PASS ID number remains the same - no interview requirement for the renewal. Curiously, when returning from Taiwan in March the US agent in SFO asked to see my GOES card when I presented him the kiosk printout.

Wow, that is fast. That is the way it was when I first applied. I renewed this February and am still waiting, but like I said the site says to expect serious delays. Strange we both renewed at the same time and you already got yours.

Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I’m actually glad to read this.

I have Pre-check and it's up for renewal. I applied for Global Entry 2 weeks ago and it says “Pending Review” every time I check.

I was staring to wonder if I made an error in the application.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
I’m actually glad to read this.

I have Pre-check and it's up for renewal. I applied for Global Entry 2 weeks ago and it says “Pending Review” every time I check.

I was staring to wonder if I made an error in the application.

Well, you can expect to wait much longer than that even when there aren't delays. You really never know how long it'll take. My wife, who isn't even an American citizen, was approved in less than a week. My daughter, who is an American citizen, took almost a month to be approved. I submitted both of their applications at the exact same time.

A guy I work with took over two months for conditional approval. Keep checking every day, but don't be surprised if it takes another month for conditional approval.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
quote:

Wow, that is fast. That is the way it was when I first applied. I renewed this February and am still waiting, but like I said the site says to expect serious delays. Strange we both renewed at the same time and you already got yours.

I recently applied for the APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC); it was approved about a minute after hitting send, found a place for the interview 2 days later and the card arrived in the mail 10 days after the interview. Lucky Montana I guess.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

...Curiously, when returning from Taiwan in March the US agent in SFO asked to see my GOES card when I presented him the kiosk printout.

No govt person has ever ask for the card, and I've used Global Entry five or six times in the past two years, mostly at ORD.

I did use the card one time at a United counter at ORD trying to get a boarding pass with "TSA pre-check" printed on it. Yes, it's in my profile, but when I got that one boarding pass at a Lufthansa gate in Romania it did not have "TSA pre check" on it. I always bring the card but only need it that one time.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Precheck isn't normally given outside the country going in; it's given in the US outbound. Even my "known crewmember" doesn't carry any weight outside the US.

It took about a year to get the global entry done for me; getting the interview was the hard part. I seldom have my schedule for next month until the end of the preceding one, and it's not enough time to schedule an interview; some places were 60 or more days lead time. Several locations advertised that I could interview when re-entering the US, but each time the wait was too long.

I applied for global entry some time back and ended up receiving a nexus card, which is useless. Presently I have the global entry, but they didn't send me a card; it's just the number which comes up when I use my passport. It's been handy a few times when returning to the US.

If you have the number and are just renewing, then you don't need a new card, and you'll use the same number. It should already be linked to your passport. You can provide it when signing signing in for an airline flight, and anytime you use the passport, it's automatically brought up (US locations only).

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:

...Curiously, when returning from Taiwan in March the US agent in SFO asked to see my GOES card when I presented him the kiosk printout.

No govt person has ever ask for the card, and I've used Global Entry five or six times in the past two years, mostly at ORD.

I did use the card one time at a United counter at ORD trying to get a boarding pass with "TSA pre-check" printed on it. Yes, it's in my profile, but when I got that one boarding pass at a Lufthansa gate in Romania it did not have "TSA pre check" on it. I always bring the card but only need it that one time.

If you got your boarding pass in Romania, why would you expect pre-check on your boarding pass? When you arrive in the US, even if connecting and have to go through security again, there is no tsa pre-check at points of entry.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

posted Hide Post
I submitted the renewal a few weeks ago. Still waiting. Expires next year.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I applied mid feb & still say pending review as well. I already have precheck so its not like im unknown

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:

If you got your boarding pass in Romania, why would you expect pre-check on your boarding pass? When you arrive in the US, even if connecting and have to go through security again, there is no tsa pre-check at points of entry.

In DFW there is precheck lanes for international, at least American. It depends on the airline you check in with, but if I don't have precheck, I just get a new boarding pass at bag re-check.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:

In DFW there is precheck lanes for international, at least American. It depends on the airline you check in with, but if I don't have precheck, I just get a new boarding pass at bag re-check.

Well I stand corrected. I sure wish I'd see that at every point of entry.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
I renewed mine in May of last year, one year before expiration. I can't remember how long it took to process, but it was at least a month. I also had to go for another interview, which I didn't expect. I went to the one at Houston George Bush Airport, same as my initial application. Anyway, the number is indeed the same. That's good, otherwise you would have to update every airline with your KTN. The agent asked me no questions, and just took another picture.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 986 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post