SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seven US Sailors are missing after a US Navy destroyer collided with a 21,000 ton cargo ship 56 miles off the coast of Japan.
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 45
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seven US Sailors are missing after a US Navy destroyer collided with a 21,000 ton cargo ship 56 miles off the coast of Japan. Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
At that time of day, the container ship was likely being driven by Iron Mike.

Yes, but radars should be monitored regularly. But, do Navy ships have a stealth technology that might have interrupted detestability?

From my understanding, Navy destroyers do not show up on radar very well. They can even sometimes look like a navigational buoy or something like that. Add in the fact that the destroyer was likely running dark...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yes, but radars should be monitored regularly. But, do Navy ships have a stealth technology that might have interrupted detestability?

Arleigh Burke destroyers do (or did), have a radar absorbing material covering much of the superstructure of the ship. The design of the ship with the mast, superstructure being angled was designed to minimize radar signature.

Posts: 327 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: April 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the freighter may not have even know she was there. Awareness responsibility sure weighs on the Navy ship in that case.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The angled sides of the superstructure are part of design to reduce the radar signature of the vessel at sea. The tripod angled mast is also for the same radar signature reduction.

Model of the ship.
https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-mo...dg-62-uss-fitzgerald

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13400 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig229-SAS:
I'm curious, do naval vessels have voice recorders on the bridge? What about tracking of position, rudder position, speed, course changes etc.?

Without having read any replies to this - yet - the answer is "no."

This is a warship. Having such logs captured or seized would compromise the fleet's security.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Where will the Navy take that to be repaired?
as to how, search for USS COLE floating dry dock (in the case of the COLE, the MV Blue Marlin).

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm curious, do naval vessels have voice recorders on the bridge? What about tracking of position, rudder position, speed, course changes etc.?

As mentioned earlier in this thread, there are always written deck logs kept by the watch that records not only anything unusual, but routine things like you mentioned. ... as well as engineering logs.

There are also global military satellite capabilities with vast amounts of data available to those with proper security clearance and a need to know.

Posts: 4699 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
quote:

From my understanding, Navy destroyers do not show up on radar very well. They can even sometimes look like a navigational buoy or something like that. Add in the fact that the destroyer was likely running dark...

Close analogy but not accurate for this type vessel. While the radar signature is lower, the ship it still readily identifiable, even at night under those moonlit conditions (providing it didn't happen under adverse weather).

During my eight years at sea on aircraft carriers, working nights for seven of them, it was easy to train my eyes to see ships at night. Unless the Fitzgerald was at Dog Zebra. And if they were at Dog Zebra the CO, XO, CHENG, etc would not have been in their staterooms.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Where will the Navy take that to be repaired?
as to how, search for USS COLE floating dry dock (in the case of the COLE, the MV Blue Marlin).

That's not a floating dry dock.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:

This is a warship. Having such logs captured or seized would compromise the fleet's security.
Was that a fact or your opinion?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You know this to be fact? What is your source/experience?

ETA - Rhino, sorry. Just saw your similar question.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
That's not a floating dry dock.
It was mistakenly termed that in the mainstream media, when the correct term would be a semi-submersible heavy lift ship - which would go over the heads of 99.99 percent of readers - but this is SIGforum, so touche. And to be honest, I didn't say the COLE was transported back to Norfolk by a floating dry dock, or that the MV Marlin was a floating dry dock, I said to search for USS COLE floating dry dock. So there's that also.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
quote:

Ask a SWO. Wink

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
quote:
tracking of position, rudder position, speed, course changes

data is digitally recorded by a number of onboard systems. such recorded data is classified.

ship position routinely plotted on systems in CIC. former manual hand plots being replaced by electronic systems.

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Watching for
Falling Rocks
Picture of erratic
posted Hide Post
In my four years of bridge watches as conning officer and OOD we had several close calls. Radar isn't infallible, people aren't perfect (especially on midwatch), and the ocean at night is filled with big tankers running on auto pilot. I've had an approaching tanker turn to port in pea soup fog right off the bow of our aegis cruiser. No radar in the world will save you from that.

Posts: 858 | Location: North Florida Mountains | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erratic:
In my four years of bridge watches as conning officer and OOD we had several close calls. Radar isn't infallible, people aren't perfect (especially on midwatch), and the ocean at night is filled with big tankers running on auto pilot. I've had an approaching tanker turn to port in pea soup fog right off the bow of our aegis cruiser. No radar in the world will save you from that.

I was on a Navy ship in the 70's in heavy fog. Another ship ask our location and the QM gave it.

The next transmission was "That puts you 4 miles inland. Try again".

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4699 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those videos definitely show her having taken on a few tons of water. And, that was not a welcome home arrival by any means.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
quote:

Ask a SWO. Wink
Yeah, 'cuz nothing else on the ship is compromising, if they were 'seized'. LMFAO. Try again. Razz

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
To the Navy guys on the board:

How much damage can a modern ship take and still fight effectively? Or even fight at all?

The Stark took a single missile hit and almost sank. The Cole took the equivalent of a single missile hit and almost sank. The damage the Fitzgerald took seems about equivalent to a missile hit and appears to be combat ineffective as a result. British warships in the Falklands were taken completely out of action by single hits, several destroyed outright by fire or sinking. Several US Navy ships hit mines in DS/DS and were crippled.

I mean, these are warships right? Taking hits and damage yet still being able to fight would be part of their design, right?

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post