SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seven US Sailors are missing after a US Navy destroyer collided with a 21,000 ton cargo ship 56 miles off the coast of Japan.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 45
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seven US Sailors are missing after a US Navy destroyer collided with a 21,000 ton cargo ship 56 miles off the coast of Japan. Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

just guessing, and don't how much to rely on the data points, but collision may have been between 1740 and 1752

230 am Japan would be 1730 UTC

Balze, sound right ?

doesn't that 180 deg turn at 1705 seem odd ?

Yes, local time in Japan would be +9 hours UTC time.

And your assumptions in regards to the track are as good as mine right now.

And I really don't know what to make of that 180 degree turn. Maybe they initially changed course to avoid something (the destroyer) then decided to turn back to investigate. Honestly though, it's inexplicable to me knowing nothing else.

Maybe they saw the destroyer, didn't identify it and thought it was a ship in distress so turned back? I really don't know.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Balzé Halzé,

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enjoy Computer Living
Picture of LoungeChair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
dreadnaught is correct. Looking at the damage, this was entirely the fault of the destroyer. Nautical rules of the road have at least one thing in common with automobiles in the US - when you get to an intersection at the same time, the car/ship on the right has the right-of-way, and the car/ship on the left stays clear. If you've got damage on your right side, you've managed to do absolutely everything wrong.

Maybe. From the look of the damage on the freighter, it may be that the freighter struck the naval obliquely from behind. In that case, it may very well be that the overtaking vessel is at fault.
If that freighter t-boned the naval ship, the navy ship would most likely have sunk. The damage give the impression of a t-bone, but I doubt that was how the naval ship was struck.

-Loungechair

Posts: 675 | Registered: October 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Intentional?

With the way the container ship turned back, could it have been an intentional act? Possibly the sailors on watch didn't pick up on the turn of the freighter (thought it was a non-issue and didn't pick up on the turn)?

Do we know the nationality of the crew of the container ship?

I don't understand this either...

The "Boz"

Posts: 1532 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I am starting to wonder as well.
ISIS has been pretty active lately in The Philippines.

Philippine-Flagged vessel

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I wondered that as well once I saw it made that turn.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3600 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
One might think if there were malicious intent, there was ample time to turn around and hit it again. The cargo ship just kind of hung around for over an hour, then was back on original course though? Still, the 180 is quite puzzling

Posts: 4701 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Looking at the map it seems like the Fitzgerald could have been sitting dead in the water.
Cargo ship saw him, took a little jog to the right, turned 180, came back and slammed into it.
However that wild speculation would not jive with the slow down to 8.5 knots.

Pretty amazing that a 21,000 ton cargo ship can sneak up on a destroyer like it did, unless the destroyer was truely sitting dead in the water.

Are there any maps or info on the USS Fitzgerald's path?

Looking at those maps again I bet the slow down to 8.5 knots was after the collision.
Collision probably occurred around the 17:27 UTC mark at 14.6 knots.
I am betting it was intentional.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
The article did say something to the effect that after the collision, the ship made port but with limited steering. Don't think the area of damage would cause limited steering, but available speed and current conditions making way to port could certainly impact steering. Maybe there was an equipment casualty and loss of steering and the Destroyer was virtually DIW at the time of impact. Maybe that turn before the 180 was to avoid the destroyer and the 180 was a turn to render assistance or just a look-see, but doesn't sound entirely plausible for a commercial vessel under the circumstances or facts thusfar. Unless maybe there were comms between the ships and the destroyer's cautions about limited steering and/or DIW (if that was the case) was misunderstood as a distress by the commercial ship and they made a 180. The captain may have been frantically involved since he was one of two initially medevac'd from the ship. Everything is speculation at this point. Hope the facts come out in the coming days.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
The captain may have been frantically involved since he was one of two initially medevac'd from the ship.

My understanding is that the Captain's stateroom was right around the part of the ship that was struck and that is why he was one of the injured.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
dreadnaught is correct. Looking at the damage, this was entirely the fault of the destroyer. Nautical rules of the road have at least one thing in common with automobiles in the US - when you get to an intersection at the same time, the car/ship on the right has the right-of-way, and the car/ship on the left stays clear. If you've got damage on your right side, you've managed to do absolutely everything wrong.

So there is no other possible scenario?

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

U.S. Navy photo

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sdy,

Posts: 19577 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pure speculation here on my part, but wonder if the the Fitzgerald was dead in the water due to some operational consideration (sub?) and running dark with no comm and then the cargo ship saw it on radar, turned around for a look? Will be interesting to see what story develops.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:

You can't possibly say whose fault this is at this point without all the information.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:

There are millions of possible scenarios where this isn't the destroyer's fault. The trouble is, they all have some huge factor that's so glaringly obvious that even our press couldn't miss it.

Scenarios that are plausible, during independent steaming, during peacetime, with exonerating details that weren't already reported? I can't come up with any, other than lots and lots of human error on the part of the give-way vessel.

I'm sure I'm not the only former surface line officer on here, and the others will all tell you the same - the first assumption of the operational commander is that this was human error, because human error's been the cause so frequently with previous collisions.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2067 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
quote:

U.S. Navy photo

That photo shows a deck line that no longer looks right to me. Is the Fitzgerald buckled to the keel? Who here has an experienced eye for these things?

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
<image>

U.S. Navy photo

Given the damage on the Crystal, she must have been coming up from behind at an angle.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
The entire bridge team missed this, there is also an entire watch team inside CIC that should have seen this coming also!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by preten2b:

That photo shows a deck line that no longer looks right to me. Is the Fitzgerald buckled to the keel? Who here has an experienced eye for these things?

Yup, the starboard damage is severe. Just looking at the lines, she does look like the compartments in that area are collapsed and maybe it goes all the way to the keel (maybe not), but she will be scrapped.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
For those reading the tracking information, the Japanese Coast Guard said today that they received the distress call at 1720 GMT, not 1730 as initially reported.

quote:
The Japanese coast guard said it received an emergency call from the container ship, the ACX Crystal, reporting the collision at around 2:20 a.m. (1720 GMT Friday). It was questioning crew members of the ACX Crystal, which is operated by the Japanese shipping company Nippon Yusen K.K., and was treating the incident as a case of possible professional negligence, said Masayuki Obara, a regional coast guard official.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/s...=2017-06-17-09-21-07

The story also says that area is very busy with sea traffic and that conditions were clear at the time of the crash.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post