SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Soccer team lost in cave in Thailand.
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 21
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Soccer team lost in cave in Thailand. Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Here is a video from the inside part of the cave. Think about guiding those kids through section tighter them these in zero vis.

I've heard part of the underwater section is 90' deep. Much deeper then I thought initially.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRERqBkIJ9I

This message has been edited. Last edited by: comet24,

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Wow.

I have anxiety just looking at that.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
My 1st thought is Musk should stay in his lane. Let's say you could get three miles of flexible conduit with sufficient diameter to crawl through onsite....how the hell do you deploy it?

I'm all for intelligent people with resources helping out.

Sorry you dislike Musk for some reason, you certainly aren't the only one but I imagine he's got more talent and resources at his fingertips than anyone participating in this thread.

He has succeeded in doing a lot of things when people laughed at him, so maybe his people can bring something useful to the effort.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I know two things: (1) I'm glad I am not in charge of the rescue, and (2) I'm glad I'm not in that cave!

I wish them all the luck.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31443 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei:
The one thing I can see is maneuvering the head. The video is just showing the inputted plotting. With our directional boring machines, we use a sonde in the bore head and a locator above the surface, which is something that can't be done in this instance.
It has a navigation system on the tunneling head, they can change directions with it (i.e. steer it), and unlike HDD the mud pressure is single digit psi in front of the tunneling head (the internal grinder has a separate mud motor and it's high pressure there).

Additionally, based on what I learned from discussions with Herrenknecht the discontinuities from going through the cave entrance would hinder steering. They'd be better off going in from an angle where HRK's photo on this page that says "Potential digging area."

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23259 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I read reports that they are 3 miles, 2.5 miles or 1.9 kilometers in. I also read that the parts under water total a half mile and are broken up in smaller sections.

Posts: 10943 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Wow.

I have anxiety just looking at that.

That video was way different that what I had in my mind's eye Frown...prayers and positive thoughts not only for those kids...but also for those rescuers putting their lives on the line to try and bring this to a positive end!

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Up until today, I thought everything was going to be alright, but now, I don't see how the deaths of some of those kids can be avoided.

Posts: 107596 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Up until today, I thought everything was going to be alright, but now, I don't see how the deaths of some of those kids can be avoided.

I'm in the same camp...I was thinking Mammoth Cave under water...but that is so different Frown

Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Wishing them the best success in the rescue with everyone recovered safely, but my mathematical mind sees the odds of that as pretty low right now.

Not impossible, but not very probable.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What ever the best idea is, it needs to come to fruition now. Not in two hours, or tomorrow, now.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Seeing that video....

How the hell did they ever find them in the first place?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:Isn't this a good indication that trying to bring those kids out via diving would almost surely result in multiple deaths?

Yes.

I was afraid of that. I'm just getting caught up from this afternoon and seeing the other posts and that video is really sad. I thought after the initial report that they had been found that it would only be a matter of hours before they were all out and safe. It's not looking good, I hope and pray they come up with a solution. I appreciate you guys who have experience diving commenting on this thread.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
My 1st thought is Musk should stay in his lane. Let's say you could get three miles of flexible conduit with sufficient diameter to crawl through onsite....how the hell do you deploy it?

I'm all for intelligent people with resources helping out.

Sorry you dislike Musk for some reason, you certainly aren't the only one but I imagine he's got more talent and resources at his fingertips than anyone participating in this thread.

He has succeeded in doing a lot of things when people laughed at him, so maybe his people can bring something useful to the effort.

I have no problem with Musk, I don't like him (or anyone) playing intellectual cowboy with these people's lives. He hasn't been there, he has no idea about the actual conditions, he has no experience in this area yet he sits at his keyboard and post grand plans for his fans to ooh and ahh over his intellect. There are real people's lives at stake and he is publicly grand standing yet has done nothing. He is sending people and tools, great. How about do that quietly and then pat yourself on the back publicly after getting some actual results? His response on Twitter could have just as easily been something like, " I am aware of the crisis and have offered my resources to help in any way I can". Posting some inflatable slip and slide plan is pointless.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do hope some make it out alive. No one to my knowledge has covered the psychological trauma that such an experience produces. If I recall correctly quite a number of the Chilean miners had serious psychological issues even though they were rescued.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I do hope some make it out alive. No one to my knowledge has covered the psychological trauma that such an experience produces. If I recall correctly quite a number of the Chilean miners had serious psychological issues even though they were rescued.

Plus for those divers and support teams involved in this if it goes south...they also have so much involved here...I can only imagine how it would weigh on them Frown

Jimmy Buffet

posted Hide Post
Pretty fair news report, and some perspective on the alternatives being worked-out.

Posts: 14655 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
This animation does a good job of illustrating the precariousness of a direct dive. That does look incredibly gnarly even for a trained diver.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16354 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i hope they are able to pump in some fresh air and buy whatever time they can

-----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
6 HRS? OMG, is that all underwater?

That is heartbreaking.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post