SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The 2020-2021 Annual Big Ten Football Thread - tOSU vs Bama National Championship Pg 14
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 2020-2021 Annual Big Ten Football Thread - tOSU vs Bama National Championship Pg 14 Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jeers:
Officials in Purdue and MN game. I watched a metric shit ton of Big Ten football this weekend and I never saw that ticky tack incidental contact called as pass interference on either side of the ball. Bullshit to change the outcome of the game with a call like this.

Officiating in the B1G period. I think it’s been especially bad this year. Questionable calls have played much too big a role in games this year.

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Week 5:
Jeers:
  • Officials in Purdue and MN game. I watched a metric shit ton of Big Ten football this weekend and I never saw that ticky tack incidental contact called as pass interference on either side of the ball. Bullshit to change the outcome of the game with a call like this.

• T’wasnt just that game.
    Fumbling and the refs killed the Badgers in the first half. The commentators (not Badger homers) mentioned it several times.
    The Badgers stopped the run quite well, but 3 questionable P.I. calls kept their drives alive.
    Fumbling sucked. It was cold... mid 30s near Lake Michigan, but that’s no excuse.

In the 2nd half, the officiating did improve noticeably. But, you could sure tell the Badger receiver corps were mostly freshmen... running poor routes, turning to wrong side to expect the ball.
    Ferguson, the one reliable receiver, got hurt in the 3rd. That hurt.

Wasn’t pretty.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    U-M's coach is an idiot. Because, he still wants Joe Milton to be his team's QB, despite Milton has shown that he has no ability to be a game winning QB. All because Black Lives Matter!!!! This year Harbaugh seems to be more interested in supporting and participating in local BLM protests with his black players, rather than preparing his team for the football season.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by sidss1:
    U-M's coach is an idiot. Because, he still wants Joe Milton to be his team's QB, despite Milton has shown that he has no ability to be a game winning QB. All because Black Lives Matter!!!! This year Harbaugh seems to be more interested in supporting and participating in local BLM protests with his black players, rather than preparing his team for the football season.

Better to lose supporting social justice than winning using, you know, talent and hard work.

Posts: 122 | Location: N. TX | Registered: June 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Opticsguy- ain't that the truth!!!!! Sad that it is very true, and the leftists in this University town, who, prior to this season couldnt have cared less about football, are now all in Jim Harbaugh's corner, and they dont want him fired because Harbaugh has proved by his actions that he is one of them, that he is just a whiny SJW!!!! FrownFrown

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    Week 6 (all times Central Time Zone):
    Friday:
    Apologies to Iowa and Nebraska fans, I didn't get this posted prior to your game.
    Saturday:
  • Surprisingly late November weather does not appear to be a factor in any of the games. All 5 stadiums should be mid to upper 40s and either sunny or overcast.
  • #4 tOSU @ IL at 11:00 AM on FS1 - The Buckeyes are 27.5 point favorites. The Buckeyes have the edge on every stat, and the closest stat is their defense is only 6 ppg better than the Illini. Only 2 common opponents in which they both creamed NE, and versus Rutgers the Illini came back to win by 3 points but tOSU won by 22. After last week's 2nd half performance, I think the Buckeyes will bring their A game for 60 minutes which means win and cover.
  • PSU @ UofM at 11:00 AM on ABC - The Wolverines are 1 point favorites. Statistically they're both equally awful on defense (36 ppg), but on offense UofM is 6 ppg less horrible. I spent Thanksgiving with a PSU alum and they are as sick of the SJW nonsesne from PSU as the UofM fans have been posting about. Also, like UofM their recruting has been in the toilet for several years. I'm hoping McNamara starts for UofM since I'm predicting they win and cover. If Milton starts, I think PSU wins.
  • MD @ #12 IU at 11:00 AM on ESPN2 - The Hosers are 12 point favorites. IU is better on every statistic except rush yardage. They have no common opponents. IU wins and covers.
  • #8 NWU @ MSU at 2:30 PM on ESPN - The Wildcats are 13 point favorites. NWU is statistically superior and the most telling difference is their defense is 21 ppg better. MSU is on a 2 game skid and NWU controls their own destiny for the Big Ten West. This one gets ugly and NWU covers by half and never looks back.
  • Rutgers @ Purdue at 3:00 PM on FS1 - My Boilermakers are 11 point favorites. Surprisingly Rutgers is 3 ppg better on offense, and Purdue is 10 ppg better on defense. With Bell and Moore in the WR line-up at the same time I say that past stats don't mean squat. Purdue wins and covers.
    Cancelled:
  • MN @ #16 WI - Gophers paused all football related activity due to COVID outbreak amongst players and coaches. This will only be the 2nd time since 1890 that the teams haven't played (1906 was last time).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23257 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of C-Dubs
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    Cancelled:
  • MN @ #16 WI - Gophers paused all football related activity due to COVID outbreak amongst players and coaches. This will only be the 2nd time since 1890 that the teams haven't played (1906 was last time).

• Frown
    Depressing.
    That's one of the yearly games I truly enjoy, no matter who wins, just to watch the players run around with the Bunyan axe, faux-chopping the opponent's goal post down.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    ESPN is reporting Ryan Day and several other at tOSU tested positive for COVID and tomorrow’s games is cancelled. Additionally, tOSU is in jeopardy of not playing in Big Ten championship due to not playing the minimum 6 games.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23257 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    OSU is just ducking the Illini! LOL

I am wondering why the ACC and the SEC have been more successful in terms of handling COVID. I am thinking their protocols were better. The Big Ten also started late. I hope Northwestern takes it all.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Well, my U-M Wolverines managed to lose to a formerly winless Penn State team!!!!! Frown Would you believe it? The Wolverines lost at home to 0-5 Penn State team!!!! FrownFrownFrown
    I am beyond being bummed out!!!!
    -Sid

posted Hide Post
    As much as I'd like to attribute U of M's problems to Harbaugh, their underperformance has gone on for so long that it can't be blamed on any single coach or group of players.

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    The problems may be systemic, but he will be gone. Personally, I cannot stand the guy. I had respect for Schembechler, and Lloyd Carr.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    UofM suspended all in person football activities this week. They have a bunch of positives on their daily rapid test and are waiting results of PCR tests.

Legalize the Constitution
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    Things that make you go hmm-mm

This season, through 5 games and 341 plays, Nebraska has been called for 10 holding penalties.

In 377 defensive snaps, Nebraska opponents have not been called for 1. Not one single holding penalty. All season. No one has ever held a Nebraska player in 20 quarters.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TMats,

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit apologizes for floating conspiracy that Michigan would use COVID-19 to avoid playing Ohio State

REALLY?? He needs to go. Here is the story:

https://sports.yahoo.com/esp-n...state-021812628.html

Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    tOSU is in a precarious position for Big Ten Championship and Playoffs as they already have 2 cancellations.

As far as Big Ten Championship:
  • They need to play the next 2 games to avoid having less than 6 games this season.
  • Big Ten does have a "just in case" scenario based on average number of games played. However, 12 of the next 14 games would have to be cancelled for that to help tOSU. In other words, unlikely.

As far as play-offs:
  • Playoff committee did not set number of games played as a requirement, and doesn't have league championship as a requirement (e.g. for independents like Notre Dame)
  • Big Ten did leave open the possibility of one or more additional games being played on the same day as the Championship. WI is ineligible for Big Ten championship since they've had 3 cancellations so a tOSU and WI match-up could give the playoff committee some confidence.

With all of that said, tOSU's best option is to play the next 2 games and control their own destiny.
    quote:
    Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
    ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit apologizes for floating conspiracy that Michigan would use COVID-19 to avoid playing Ohio State

REALLY?? He needs to go. Here is the story:

https://sports.yahoo.com/esp-n...state-021812628.html
    When did you join the cancel culture?

I can't stand Herbstreit, but this isn't a fire-able offense.

•  
    thin skin can't win
    Picture of Georgeair
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Kirk Herbstreit

Part of the article references how frustrated he is with player opt outs. If you listen to the the ESPN College Football Podcast, you'd see this in general and this week in particular. He was WAY hot about the opt outs, COVID or otherwise and really got after it. Then when questioned about coaches leaving teams before season end as a comparative to players doing similar went REALLY ballistic on that false comparative.

Like him or not, he's passionate about the sport and I give him credit for speaking frankly about issues in it.

And let's not act like others haven't jokingly or otherwise poked at teams dodging games, from LSU to FSU, now Mich. The point of many teams and players being simply worn out with all they've had to endure this year and pulling the plug is a good one. I bet we see more bowl invites turned down this year than any time in history.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^
    I dislike him for the same reason I dislike Doug Flute. Just call the game. Has nothing to do with cancel culture.

posted Hide Post
    BTW did you happen to see what Brett had to say about Brees? Talk about risking stuff. Granted he does not play anymore, but look at the endorsements he has.

Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
    quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^
    I dislike him for the same reason I dislike Doug Flute. Just call the game. Has nothing to do with cancel culture.
    ESPN pays him to do more than just call the game. The context of this story is ESPN pays him to be on the announcement show for playoff rankings. I don't care for the guy, but I'm not going to call for him to get fired because he says something on a show where he is encouraged to give opinions and go over what-if scenarios.