SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Well then what WAS your first high school car?
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well then what WAS your first high school car? Login/Join 
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
No HS car lived in NYC. First car 59 Chevy in 1969 for $300 buck to get me off base in Cali and sold it for $600.
3 month later bought my 1968 Mustang fire engine red. With an APR of about 24% for an E3 sailor.

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1966 teal green Chevy Impala SS 327/300. Powerglide. Rallye wheels.
I still miss it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SeaCliff:
First car 59 Chevy in 1969 for $300 buck to get me off base in Cali and sold it for $600...

My brother did Basic in the Air Force in Texas about 1970 and knew a guy there who had just the opposite problem. Seems he had just bought a brand-new Triumph Stag for about $3,500 or $4,000, then got transferred overseas. My brother called and asked if I wanted it for $1,200 but I didn't have the money. Too bad, since it was a pretty luxurious car, even if it had Lucas electricals.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1967 Chevy Impala 327 4bbl power glide 2 door. So rusty it wouldn't pass safety inspection. I use window screen and roofing tar to seal off the rust holes to get it to pass. Had to drive for about 4 months without a license because I had a job to get to. 1974 was a different time. Heck, I had to drive to drivers ed!!!! I was fairly responsible then.

Posts: 389 | Registered: February 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
1967 Firebird, 326 auto transmission. Had over 100k and a rust hole behind the driver's seat. Bought it in 1981, a year before I got my license, for $700. Put about another $700 into it fixing the hole and sprucing up the motor mostly in the top end. My buddies and I had her ready by the time I got my license.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
1968 Mercury Cougar XR7, like this one except it was dark blue. Learned to drive on that (in the front seat). Learned to do other things in the back seat...

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
73 Nova hatchback, purchased in 2002 the year after finishing high school.

Still have and after years of neglect and not moving it’s back on the road a couple times a week. I’m currently starting the LONG term plan for it and looking st upgrading to a modern suspension and building from there.

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
1963 Mercury Comet

Bought the Comet when I was 15, it was collision damaged but the rest of the car and especially the interior was mint. Scrounged parts, fixed it and drove it to a rock concert the same day I got my permanent drivers license. Ran it in my junior year (1975-76) with the stock straight-6 and 3-on-the tree but it needed way more grunt for my purposes.

The summer of '76 I pulled the 6-banger drivetrain and installed a 289ci V8, Borg-Warner T-10 4-speed, a V8 rated differential with limited slip, dual exhaust, traction bars, etc. Anything I could afford or scrounge to make it go faster. Brakes, steering, windows were all manual and no A/C but I did add a Craig Powerplay 8-track (with the requisite Jensen 6x9 coax's). Kept the exterior stock so it was a sleeper.

That car was great entertainment in my senior year (1976-77). Won plenty of beer, gas and parts money because it looked like grandma's car. No one expected grandma to drive like a bootlegger.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts
Picture of GRIZZLYBEAR
posted Hide Post
I bought a '57 Chev Bel Aur rag top that I paid around $600 for. Great Car

Posts: 1895 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN,, PA USA | Registered: May 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Family car was a 1968 bel air station wagon, 289 2 barrel carb.
My first car was a used 66 LTD got me tru a couple of years of college, then a 71 LTD with a 429.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I didn't get my license until after high school. I was 20 when I bought my first car, a 1978 Pontiac Phoenix for $200.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
1965 Ford Fairlane Sport. Many interesting things occurred in both the front and backseat of that car

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
1965 Ford Fairlane Sport. Many interesting things occurred in both the front and backseat of that car

Although I didn't officially own this same car, I did get to drive my older brothers in 1969-70 while he was in Viet Nam....had a lot of fun in the car.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vespa 150 Motor Scooter. Pop a wheelie with a passenger was so easy. I caught pneumonia to winters in a row riding home from after school practice for the gymnastics team. Paid $300 for it in 1964.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
A '78 Chevy truck in the early 90s. A family vehicle. Still have it. Rust has been trying to take it almost since new.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Lived in suburban NYC, so couldn't afford insurance. Freshman year of college I had this:

Insurance MUCH cheaper in OH.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Didn't have a car in H.S., graduated in 1981 - bought my neighbors 1971 Chevy Camaro the following year to drive to community college, kept it for 4 years and sold it after college.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
74 Vega Kammback Station Wagon

Turd Brown Metallic,

2-3 qts of the cheapest oil you could buy per tank of gas,

totaled it later

and graduated driving a primer gray and Ford Blue F100, shortbed
300/3 on the tree,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I graduated in 1978. Purchased my first car from a neighbor down the road in 1977. Paid $350 for it. It was a green 1968 Firebird. Had a 350 engine and a 3 speed on the floor.

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Z06:
'64 Pontiac Tempest LeMans. 215 c.i. straight six with "three in the tree".

Drag raced it in L Stock. The only car it couldn't beat was a certain Corvair.

I had a '64' Tempest LeMans Sport Coupe with the 326 V-8. I built it up to run C Modified Production at the local drag strip and won more than I lost. There wasn't a GTO that I couldn't beat in the county for a couple of years.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post