SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 97

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
The Predictable Insanity Surrounding the Florida Shooting Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Just out of curiosity, are Florida schools Gun Free Zones? Isn't that supposed to be the magic law that prevents school shootings?

Yes, I believe schools are one of the areas prohibited for concealed carry in Florida.

Not sure about other states, but in Colorado you can carry a gun onto school property, just not inside the school. Some of our State Reps are working to change that, but with a Dem House and Governor it fails every year.

In Utah, I can carry into any school without issue, from grade school to the university of Utah. Teachers are also armed if they care to be.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Just out of curiosity, are Florida schools Gun Free Zones? Isn't that supposed to be the magic law that prevents school shootings?

Yes, I believe schools are one of the areas prohibited for concealed carry in Florida.

My point was not related to concealed carry, but that in 1990 there was land mark, common sense, gun control enacted by congress that would forever protect our children and schools from gun violence.

Since the passing of that law shootings in schools have increased every year. The law did nothing to stop the violence.

Common sense gun control law - FAIL

What law was that?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:

In Utah, I can carry into any school without issue, from grade school to the university of Utah. Teachers are also armed if they care to be.

Dear God how do you survive the firearms free for all in a situation like that?! Roll Eyes

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
quote:
quote:

My point was not related to concealed carry, but that in 1990 there was land mark, common sense, gun control enacted by congress that would forever protect our children and schools from gun violence.

Since the passing of that law shootings in schools have increased every year. The law did nothing to stop the violence.

What law was that?

I'm not an attorney but I travel a lot and see GUN FREE ZONE signs posted around every school I see

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ol_Zones_Act_of_1990

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._Schools_Act_of_1994

From what little research I did you cannot concealed carry or have a firearm in a vehicle in a school zone in Florida. Open carry is banned so you can't subvert the gun free school zone law that way as in other states.

Clearly these Federal and State laws have done nothing to stop shootings in schools. Huge law, everyone 'felt' safer, history has shown it was totally ineffective, and no one mentions it after one of these incidents. That was the point.

Although now I've noticed, just today that there are more calls to end this ineffective legislation and perhaps take schools off the soft target list.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

What law was that?

I'm not an attorney but I travel a lot and see GUN FREE ZONE signs posted around every school I see

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ol_Zones_Act_of_1990

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/..._Schools_Act_of_1994

From what little research I did you cannot concealed carry or have a firearm in a vehicle in a school zone in Florida. Open carry is banned so you can't subvert the gun free school zone law that way as in other states.

Clearly these Federal and State laws have done nothing to stop shootings in schools. Huge law, everyone 'felt' safer, history has shown it was totally ineffective, and no one mentions it after one of these incidents. That was the point.

Although now I've noticed, just today that there are more calls to end this ineffective legislation and perhaps take schools off the soft target list.

This is the sort of thing I mean when I say "push back".

We need to push harder than those who are quick to give up our rights, give away our money, and give up our liberties "for us".

Push back every-time they start anything and take ground.

Every play. Plan effective strategies and push hard, never let up.

Make it so they never want to show themselves, or open their mouths to such emotional and useless controls.

As the image posted states: I want all of my cake back.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I'm calling them the "do-something" crowd. So many lefties always call for the government to "DO SOMETHING."

On a larger scale, they simply don't understand why the government doing something is often a bad idea. More regulation doesn't bother them in the slightest.

On the smaller scale, they often don't examine the "something" to see if it will actually work and not cause some other problem.

But, do something, by God.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Report This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
My sons school has an armed SRO, and I was very glad to see it when we moved here. This isn't a bad area, I live in a nice school district, but I like having him there. Not only is he protection, but the kids all love him and he knows them all by name, showing them that police are not the enemy, they are a trusted authority figure. And he wears full uniform, green "tactical" overalls I guess you would call them, has a Glock on his hip, Sheriff jacket on.

He knows damn near every kid in that school by name, and talks to them, gives them advice, etc.

For the life of me I cannot understand why there isn't an armed SRO in every school, every one. For all the stupidity our tax money is spent on, I wouldn't mind covering a 100% SRO program with a millage or something.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Report This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Sigmonkey’s post made me recall a conversation amongst coaches the other night related to act vs consequences. It seems relevant to the discussion.

Fundamentally, why do people do things? It is more or less to gain a reward, or avoid a consequence or some combination thereof.

- You eat to gain the reward of no longer being hungry or tasting good food
- You go to work to gain the reward of a pay check
- You don’t drive 50mph in a 25 mph zone to avoid a huge fine
- You use the bathroom to get relief, and avoid wet pants
- You try to do good things in life so that you go to heaven and avoid hell
- You post neat stuff on this forum for the reward of making others laugh or engage in discussion
- You don’t post stupid things to avoid the ban hammer

The issue comes when the person has either no fear of the consequence, is willing to accept the consequence, or sees the consequence as a reward.

- Why do people post stupid stuff? They’ve decided they are done here and want the ban hammer to go out in a blaze of glory
- Why are people habitual offenders? They don’t care about, or accept the consequence of jail
- Why are gang bangers quick to commit crime? Going to jail is a badge of honor
- Why are suicide bombers so willing? The consequence is the reward
- Why do mass shooters do what they do? They know they’re going to/want to die and want to this negating the consequence of being shot by police or tried and sent to jail. OR they are willing to accept a long jail term for the notoriety (speaking to the point of not glorifying them)

This is a breakdown in society that no law can fix as they are meaningless to people in this mindset.

Maybe taking corporal punishment out of schools and away from parents was a bad idea. Canada fixed that after the first school shooting.

How do you fix a society when a segment of it, capable of heinous crimes, no longer has any fear of consequence, punishment, or retribution? How do you fix a generation with a “I really don’t care if I get fired, cut, or disciplined” attitude?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
No guns on school property in FL as we know from the news, yesterday I went to pickup my granddaughter from band practice after school, she wanted to be seen getting picked up and riding off on my motorcycle.

Had to make sure that my stored firearm and carry were left at home, don't want to go to jail, and there in lies the problem, even if there was a permit carry near the school, legally you can't enter the property.

Posts: 23452 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
There is an exception to the GFZA for licensed CHLs.

It astonishes me how quickly these students can arrange for busses, lists of travelers, printed t-shirts, posters, coffee mugs, etc. it almost seems preplanned.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Dependent on the State.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

For the life of me I cannot understand why there isn't an armed SRO in every school, every one. For all the stupidity our tax money is spent on, I wouldn't mind covering a 100% SRO program with a millage or something.

I bet it is because of a couple liberal attitudes:

They hate and fear guns, and don't believe that ANY person with a gun is a good thing.

They don't want kids to 'get used to' seeing guns. The 'unknown' breeds fear, which is what they want.

They ultimately want to ban all guns everywhere, so even effective measures like this that will make our children safer MUST be opposed.

They want to 'feel' safe, logic be damned. If it makes them feel safer, even if it INCREASES the danger level, they are fine with it.

On a deep philosophical level, to them ALL GUNS are bad, so they cannot conceive how armed security will help them. Thus explains all the 'just ban all guns' nonsense. I think they truly believe that this is possible to do (despite ALL evidence to the contrary) and that it will help. Of course, we know that gun-free zones are counter-productive in the extreme. They don't know, or refuse to believe, this elementary fact of life.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:

It astonishes me how quickly these students can arrange for busses, lists of travelers, printed t-shirts, posters, coffee mugs, etc. it almost seems preplanned.

Glee Clubs and the like, being replaced with all manner of "Activism" and "Community Organizing", with playbooks, methods and procedures to "never let a crisis go to waste".

I am not the least bit surprised in the rapidity and scale of all of this, and certainly there are many people of influence that are ever-ready and vigilant to react to such things.

We have to be as quick if not quicker.

One of the things I learned in the military, was to be faster at all this than your enemy, for you might get your aircraft in the air more rapidly than your enemy, but if you come back and he's eating in your chow hall, you lost.

Yeah. "Cover your bases", had a different meaning.

Make no mistake, we are in a "war", and have been for sometime.

The correct answer is not buying more firearms and ammo, but engaging any and every chance you get to take hold and secure what you value in the institutions of this nation, and to take back that which rightfully belongs to "We the People..."

And that is not only those with whom we agree, but for everyone who is an American.

Many of those we are dealing with are imply ignorant or misinformed, and they can be shown the truth and some of them will "swing". Others, even when presented the truth, will still choose to be opposed, and nothing can be done about that.

And yes, I believe that we can win by knowing that it is for the "all" of America.

The other side is happy to cut the baby in half.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sure the AnyTown for gun violence and the Brady Bunch had it set up the day after the shooting.

Buses, hotels, talking points, encouragement, food, you name it, I'm sure they got it.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

It is, with every shooting activists are organizing, planning, developing scripts for
the next shooting, all the response is preplanned.

They know there's going to be another, and another, and another, with social media it's easier to coordinate efforts, to disseminate information, fund raise.

Posts: 23452 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Report This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
My grandfather had an old preserve cellar with HUNDREDS of magazines in his home. He apparently never threw them out, and had decades worth of Field and Stream, Outdoor Life, and many older ones I had never heard of before. There was a story in a really old safari magazine I read about 35 years ago. I don't know if it's true, but it's stuck with me for decades. It almost reads like a parable, but it was presented as a true story. It goes something like this:

In deep dark Africa, villagers were afraid of the dark (and since this is the bush, they had EVERY right and reason to be afraid). Some merchant came along with small battery-powered blue lights. These lights would allow the villagers to see in the dark. They bought them by the truckload, as it made them 'feel' safer. Soon, villagers all over this region carried these blue lights at night.

However,

Hippos (the most dangerous beast in Africa second only to man) HATED the blue lights. When they saw the lights, they would rush over and trample them to pieces (along with, obviously, whoever was carrying the lights). This caused many, many deaths, but the villagers kept carrying the lights, because it made them 'feel' safer (even though it actually increased their personal danger immeasurably).

This is how I see the current 'gun-free zone' nonsense. Ignorant idiots want to 'feel' safe, so they impose bans and 'gun-free zones.' We, of course, realize this makes people in those stupid zones LESS SAFE, but they don't seem to care. Libs seem to base 100% of their lives on their 'feelings,' anyway, so this shouldn't come as a surprise.

Therefore, this is why I believe the libs will NEVER support truly effective security measures. Having armed security in schools will likely INCREASE the safety of students and staff, but libs want to 'feel' safe, so they will continue to support 'gun-free zones' and other liberal nonsense that will ultimately only INCREASE the death tolls. They are incapable of seeing the inherent illogic and counter-productive nature of their stances.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Report This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I'll go further....I'll bet they have emergency activism plans, the leftists' versions of emergency plans.

quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
I'm sure the AnyTown for gun violence and the Brady Bunch had it set up the day after the shooting.

Buses, hotels, talking points, encouragement, food, you name it, I'm sure they got it.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Report This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is how I see the current 'gun-free zone' nonsense. Ignorant idiots want to 'feel' safe, so they impose bans and 'gun-free zones.' We, of course, realize this makes people in those stupid zones LESS SAFE, but they don't seem to care. Libs seem to base 100% of their lives on their 'feelings,' anyway, so this shouldn't come as a surprise.

Therefore, this is why I believe the libs will NEVER support truly effective security measures. Having armed security in schools will likely INCREASE the safety of students and staff, but libs want to 'feel' safe, so they will continue to support 'gun-free zones' and other liberal nonsense that will ultimately only INCREASE the death tolls. They are incapable of seeing the inherent illogic and counter-productive nature of their stances.

And yet it could be part and parcel to the strategy, by keeping specific targets zones free from protection, you increase the potential for these situations, and, since these situations garner massive public empathy as well as become a very strong point for combating the enemy, which is the NRA and gun owners.

Sort of self full filling, since those that seek to gain from the acts in these locations are never under risk for the actions, some risk is acceptable since they hold the high ground of being against gun violence, they can never be accused of perpetuating the situation by creating these zones.

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
No guns on school property in FL as we know from the news, yesterday I went to pickup my granddaughter from band practice after school, she wanted to be seen getting picked up and riding off on my motorcycle.

Had to make sure that my stored firearm and carry were left at home, don't want to go to jail, and there in lies the problem, even if there was a permit carry near the school, legally you can't enter the property.
I picked my son up from school virtually ever afternoon for upwards of 10 years. During all that time, it would have been a rarity for me not to be armed. I never exited my vehicle onto school property, but I also never worried for a moment whether I had a firearm (or firearms) in my truck. Rules/laws need to make sense or they're worthless. As I discussed with a Florida Senate president many years ago, how can I be expected to legally concealed carry all day, but somehow disarm for the few minutes it takes me to pick up my kid from school.

Florida's carry laws are improving, but they still have some stupid requirements that are all but impossible for a law abiding citizen to abide by.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah...Isn't that interesting that students who can't get to school on time, or complete a homework assignment by a deadline, can somehow organize all of this movement complete with transportation and accommodations. Kinda makes ya go, hmmmmmmmmmm...

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Report This Post