SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Joined Club Orange (Kubota)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Joined Club Orange (Kubota) Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted
My truck is nearly paid off and they were offering 0%.

Any worthwhile mods or accessories? It has the quick change front bucket and 3-pt hitch already. I want to get a thumb; one place is making their own kit for a hydraulic version, but it is pricey. I just ordered a metal jerry can for the diesel. I like the idea of the quick change backhoe attachment, but I'm not really seeing another tool I would use besides a bucket.

Perhaps some bucket hooks, a dolly for the backhoe, and a box scraper. A buddy has a box leveler, so I'll practice with that before deciding on a box scraper. I have a very rough path around the property that needs to be finished.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Welcome!

What model is that?

Does the 'hoe mount to the 3 point or is it on a subframe? If it's on the three point, just bear in mind that it's not as rugged as a subframe mount. I had a 3 point on my John Deere and it did everything I needed, just slower.

A box blade is a VERY handy tool, but to be really useful without being a PITA, you need a hydraulic top link. The way a box blade works depends on the angle, which is determined by the top link. With the box tilted forward (shorter top link) it cuts and fills the box. With the box tilted back (longer top link) it distributes and grades whatever is in the box. It's often handy (in fact it's the strong point of a box blade) to tilt the box forward and cut the high spots, drag the fill to the low spots, tilt the blade back and deposit the fill.

If the tractor doesn't already have one, at some point you're going to want a rear hydraulic remote.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
It’s a BX23S/24 horsepower. The hoe mounts to the subframe, not the 3 point hitch. The hoe must be detached to use the hitch. It does have a hydraulic lift for the top link.

Seems like there is a bit of a learning curve to use a box blade. I’m ok with that. My buddy says he prefers the leveler, but I believe he mostly uses it to touchup already tidy areas like driveways. The path I will be using it on is very rough, so maybe a box blade would be better for that initially. I’m glad that my property is nearly all soft soil with little to no rocks.

https://www.everythingattachme...ls-cmp-bb-ea-2.1.htm

I was looking at this one. Of course, I am well outside of their 1000 mile free shipping range. Frown

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have had a BX23D since Feb 17, love the thing. Front loader, backhoe, 60 inch MM mower, rear scrape blade. Had a box scrape, finally took it back and sold it back to the dealer. Showroom clean, still had the price tag. Never really needed it for my uses. The blade is mostly for what little snow we have here. The loader has done all kinds of stuff, wish I had bought a set of forks too. Putting RR ties in place for retaining walls is doable with the bucket, but you can only move one at a time, and very carefully then. I have had JDs for 35 years, but Agent Orange (wife's name for it) has made me a convert.

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I've had a BX25D for about ten years now. I, too, bought it at 0% and around 350/mo. Paid it off pretty quickly.

It is probably one of the best purchases I've ever made. I used it often for the first few years I had it. From digging up stumps to trenching for power line/water line to my shop to turning my yard into a lawn to you name it. If I could find the guy who invented hydraulics I'd kiss him right on the mouth and I don't even swing that way.

These days I don't use/need it much more than about once a month, but it's there when I do need it.

Mine came with the bucket and backhoe and I was allowed one free implement. I chose an auger as I had some fencing to do at the time and my ground is very rocky (trying to do it by hand would be impossible). I also got a box blade shortly thereafter. I've used all four implements extensively and have nothing but positive comments about all of them.

The only other implement that I've considered getting is the snowblower (you probably don't have much of a need for that in NM). Problem is, they run around $3K and they are rear mounted (no front PTO) which I think would be a PITA to operate. So, I bought a Ariens deluxe for 1/3 of that price, and between that and my 4-wheeler blade I do just fine clearing the snow as long as I keep up with it.

Regarding forks, just know that they won't lift a whole lot of weight. Not even close to what a regular forklift will do.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
In the near future, I am planning on getting a workshop built on the property. It would involve some trenching for water, gas, and power, so a trenching bucket might be a decent purchase. I’m going to have to pick up a box blade, too.

I’m at about 6500 feet, so we get at least a couple of good snows every year. Still probably not enough to warrant an entire attachment for it. Razz

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I am thinking of selling my CAT 259 skid steer and getting something like this.
Do you mind me asking what something like this goes for?

I could keep my buckets, forks and snow plow so other than the backhoe attachment (which I know ain’t cheap) I would be set...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
That box blade looks fine.

Once you get the hang of "dig vs. drag" they're easy to use. The other thing is to tilt it side-to-side to put some "crown" in a driveway. You want the center a tad higher than the sides so water doesn't stand in the drive. That's where potholes come from.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I bought a 23BX new about a year ago.
I bought it with the 60" mower deck,and a Ripper claw for the rear excavator, and Land Pride forks for the front end. The dealer had a deal with the purchase for a trailer. I Upgraded the trailer for a 20' -10,000#. I eventually bought a post hole digger with a 12" x 48" auger, a trailer hitch to fit on the front loader, a improved 3 point hitch set-up, and guides to mount to the front loader so it does not dig in if I'm removing snow.

I live in Chicago but have a very large corner lot. I take the bucket off and mow my lawn with it gathering many looks from the neighbors, most all of them have landscaping services. I get puzzled looks from neighbors and smiles and thumbs up from the passing landscapers.

I did extensive landscaping to my back yard last summer and fall. The Kubota was priceless for the work it did.
I bought new because the price of used ones was so high it did not justify buying used.

I will probably use it to finish up some yard projects next spring and then sell it with about 125 hrs on it.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I had a BX2200 and a 60" mower deck and bagger for 15 years. Sold it for not that much less than what I paid for it. Some good memories on that thing. Tractor rides with my little ones, when they were little.

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I am thinking of selling my CAT 259 skid steer and getting something like this.
Do you mind me asking what something like this goes for?

I could keep my buckets, forks and snow plow so other than the backhoe attachment (which I know ain’t cheap) I would be set...

With the hitch kit, bolt on front blade, and quick detach front bucket, 22k.

The resale on these is nuts- like used Tacomas out here. Didn’t take much more money for a new one. With zero down, zero APR, and the fact that I could sell it after a few years at damn near 80% of my cost, it was a no brainer. No plans to sell, BTW.

Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
flesheatingvirus,
QUOTE: "I have a very rough path around the property that needs to be finished"

I have a BX 25 (2011-earlier version of the BX 23S) so I have personal experience.
If you plan on driving that tractor on any surface other than golf course quality turf, you need skid plates.
The hydrostatic transaxle on your tractor is air cooled. There is a PLASTIC fan mounted on the engine to transaxle driveshaft just in front of the transaxle.
These BX tractors don't have a lot of clearance below them. (get a flashlight, crawl underneath your new tractor and locate the plastic fan on the driveshaft)
Sticks, stumps, rocks WILL knock the blades off the fan. Without the fan, the hydrostatic transaxle can overheat. Potentially very high cost repairs.
The plastic fan isn't expensive, but replacing it is a MAJOR pain in the ass.
While you are underneath your tractor, now imagine having to replace that fan or pay somebody to do it. (breaking off the blades with a foreign object is NOT warranty)
You have basically two choices for the aftermarket skid plates.

This one is two pieces and bolts securely below the tractor. (since I don't use a mid mount mower, I got this one)
This is the rear for your model: https://bro-tek.com/products/view.php?&eid=60160191
This is the front for your model: https://bro-tek.com/products/view.php?&eid=60160192
Mine are similar and IF you aren't using a mid mount (belly) mower, I recommend these.

This choice is easier for installing/removing as it uses the deck lifting mechanism for skid plate attachment.
But I believe has less effective protection for the expensive underbelly components.
https://www.bxpanded.com/BX-under-armor

Both of these companies make excellent add-ons for tractors.

Here is my BX 25 with some photos. https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/7230077564
You'll need a toolbox, a tooth bar, some extra lights, LED replacement headlight bulbs, a Battery Tender, bucket hooks, bar tires, and whatever attachments work for your projects and property.
I use the Harley Davidson battery tenders for all of my motorcycle/ATV/tractor/lawnmower batteries.
All the LED lights on the battery tenders is giving a nice soft green nighttime illumination out in the shop.
Don't forget algicide for your diesel fuel and if the winter temperatures in your location warrant, anti-gel for the fuel as well.
Feel free to email (in my profile) if you have any specific questions.
And don't forget to blame PHPaul for your reduced bank account...
ENJOY!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cee_Kamp,

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1537 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
My BX23 came with all digital lighting.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
Cee_Kamp:

Nice rig! I was considering under armor for the exact reasons you specified. Good to hear another opinion. I will be getting a 48 inch bush hog and have no use for the center mouth finishing mower.

What is the benefit of the tooth bar for the front bucket? Mine has the stock bolt on blade.

What is a “battery tender”?

How often do you really use the extra lights? Lighting that comes with it stock is pretty minimal, but I don’t have any plans for night operations.

Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
We’ve had a BX-23 on our farm for over 15 years. This year we upgraded and added a closed cab (ac/heat) L4060 HST. I love my Kubotas

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Cee_Kamp:

What is a “battery tender”?

From Amazon’s description:

STAY CHARGED: Provides a full charge to your machine’s battery before switching to float mode to maintain proper voltage levels for safe, long term storage without overcharging. Spark proof during lead connection, reverse polarity protected and includes a 12-foot output cord and 5-year warranty
EASY TO USE: Low maintenance design to be quick and easy to use, our universal powersport vehicle charger and maintainer is compact and lightweight. Perfect for charging all 12-volt lead-acid, flooded or sealed maintenance free batteries (AGM and gel cell) and safety timer-80 hours
EXTENDED BATTERY LIFE: Compatible with lead-acid, flooded, and sealed maintenance free batteries (AGM and gel cell) to be ideal for use in long term storage. Complete 4-step charging program (Initialization, Bulk Charge, Float Mode) allows for optimization of battery power, without overcharging
MONITOR POWER LEVELS: Solid state two-color LED light indicates the state of the charge and if the battery voltage drops too far under load, ISM adaptive charging will resume full charger output power. Automatic charge cycle functionality switches to float mode after fully charging the battery
SAFE AND SECURE: Our battery charger and maintainer is spark-proof during lead connection and automatically detects reverse polarity to ensure a correct. Solid state two color LED indicates stage of charger and if the battery voltage drops too far under load, full charger output power resumes.

Made by Deltran

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
The tooth bar actually allows you to dig with your front bucket.
The tooth bar will keep the OEM bucket cutting edge from being worn away over time.
I do take it off in the winter, install a couple "Edge Tamers" for preventing blacktop damage when removing snow.
The extra LED light bars came from Amazon. Less than $100.
I also got my LED replacement headlight bulbs from Amazon.
I prefer to remove snow when it's finished snowing.
And most of the time it's after dark.
With the front bucket blocking the OEM headlights while moving snow around, it's tough to see what you're doing. The four LED light bars up on the ROPS allow tractor tasks anytime.
The neighbors think I have an airport it's lit so well when I'm moving snow.
Battery Tender keeps battery fully charged when the machine isn't being used.
It also will extend the lifespan of your battery.
Have fun with that new machine!

NRA Instructor

Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Best bang for the buck for a four foot rotary cutter? (bush hog)
Go see your local Mahindra Dealer. It's a repainted Kodiak.
Made in the USA, available parts, reasonable price but still pretty heavy duty.
Way less money than Land Pride.

NRA Instructor

Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
Good info.

I’m also tempted to wire in, or just use the 12V outlet, for a small inverter for a Bose Bluetooth speaker. I could mount the speaker to the ROPS.

Nothing like blaring 80s techno while bush hogging. The neighbors are going to love me.

Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
The damn little Kubota diesel engines are loud.
At working engine RPM's, soon you will be deaf.
When running machinery, most of the time it's good to hear what's going on.
Ear plugs or muffs.
When I do snow removal or mowing, sometimes I break out an Apple ipod and in-the-ear corded ear buds. Seriously, that diesel Kubota will ruin your hearing if you don't take proper precautions.

NRA Instructor