SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Boy Scouts Of America now open to girls
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boy Scouts Of America now open to girls Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by detroit192:
I will read the entire thread later. We at the Troop I am Committee Chair at are ready for this. The Scout Slogan, Motto, Oath and Law are unchanged. The BSA join every other organization in the World Scouting Movement, other than Saudi Arabi in being coed at all levels. Youth protection principles remain the same. If we can manage 14-20 year olds being outdoors coed we will manage 11-13 year olds. I have the honor of being Assistant Course Director (Assistant Scoutmaster) for a National Youth Leadership Training course this Summer. While not even close to 50/50, most likely only 15% young women make up our staff. I expect my Scouts to act Morally Straight, Helpful, Courteous, Obedient and Clean around females of all ages. Are there obstacles? Hell yes. To those who think this is a dollar grab, just try and guess how much the BSA will have to spend upgrading camp facilities. Even in a moderately resource rich Council such as Atlanta Area Council we do not have multimillions of dollars ready to spend on three Council and numerous District camps.

You want segerated youth outdoor experiences then seek out the few groups doing just that.
As was pointed out to me the BSA and GSA are EXTREMELY different organizations. From the top down, how money is handled, the program is developed, and policies formed these are two incompatible organizations.

If I ask what is the first thing you think of when I say Girl Scouts most would say cookies. When I say Boy Scout, it will be something along the lines of Eagle Scout, camping, hiking, or even straight laced.

And just so that I am clear about following Scouting ideals, I am not hiding behind my screen name, and Bravely proclaim these are the words of:

Marc Steven Shimabukuro
Troop 250 Atlanta Area Council
Troop Committee Chair
Proudly Chartered at
American Legion Post 160
Smyrna, GA

Eagle Scout, Troop 121 Lake Huron Area Council, Class of 1984
Unit Commisioner Downriver District Detroit Area Council
Wood Badge Course EC 409, Troop 1 Gilwell, Bobwhite patrol, busted ticket
20 year hiatus
Wood Badge Course 92-85, Troop 1 Gilwell, Bobwhite patrol, ticket completed 4-2018, beading ceremony TBA
N.Y.L.T. Assistant Scoutmaster (Assistant Course Director) week one Blue Troop, Atlanta Area Council. (Wood Badge third bead eligible upon course closing)

The benefit to the Boys youth is Demonstrating the Aims of Scouting in real life, not just in an abstract single sex environment.
The Aims of Scouting are:
Character Development
Citizenship Training
Physical Fitness

Yep

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:
See my edited post.

Well you kinda proved the point when you went ahead and put a line through boys to change it to youth. It’s not intended to be beneficial to the boys.

Do you feel like you were unable to teach those principles without girls around? Do you think boys will better learn those principles in the presence of girls?

I can not help that you see serving all youth as weakening service to Boys. We are not a Wahhbi Islam based society. If Preteen and Teenage Boys need to separated from Girls to properly develop Character, Citizenship and Fitness we are doing it wrong. I can tell the Scouts in my Troop to act appropriately and assume they will do as I ask, or I can model proper behavior and hold them to those same Character traits and Cizitenship ideals by their deeds.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"If girls truly are every bit as capable as boys then they should be able to create a quality scouting program."

"Those sound like excellent reasons to not dilute the Boy Scouts by adding girls."

What century are you two living in?

Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
I am going to go out on a limb, and speculate on the real reason behind this move. IMHO, the real problem in the BSA is a failure of leadership. It is easy to throw rocks at the national leadership, but the real failure is at the Troop, Pack, and District levels. There are some very well run units, but many mediocre and poorly run units. A poorly run unit drives away new volunteers and boys and becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy of failure. It is easy to point fingers at the "me" culture of parents un-willing to step up and take some leadership roles. But, in my experience, we have a number of parents that are Scouts themselves, but they won't lift a finger. Sure, every volunteer organization faces the 80/20 rule, but to all those that took the Scout Oath, why aren't you stepping up and doing your good turn? At the District level, it is even worse. Though we have a generally decent District, the majority of the volunteer positions remain un-filled. For any Scout that laments the past, I ask, what are you doing to help insure the future? To fill the leadership vacuum, many mothers have stepped up and filled those positions. Once they are there, they ask, "why can't my daughter do this too?" If you want to have boys taught to be men by men, then there have to be men that step up to do it, and too often, they don't. My earlier post about critics not being active in the BSA was directed at this point: if you are a man, have scouting experience, and don't step up to the plate, then quit your bitching, because you, and the others like you, are the problem. The youth, particularly the boys of this country need you. Many hands make light work.

Out of respect for detroit192's boldness, here is my background in Scouting. I was not a Boy Scout growing up, I didn't discover what I was missing until it was too late, but I always regretted the lost opportunity. When my son became of age, I decided he wasn't going to miss out like I did, so I took the plunge. I put my effort were my mouth is:

Assistant Cubmaster
Arrow Of Light Den Leader
Wood Badge S4-86-16-2, Troop 1 Gilwell, Eagle Patrol. Beaded.

Next year, when my son crosses over, I expect to become an ASM and Merit Badge Councilor.

My wife is:

Pack Secretary
Wood Badge S4-89-18-2, Troop 1 Gilwell, Antelope Patrol.

She is already a trained Merit Badge Councilor.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
You can't tell me that the boys and girls want this.
This is entirely contrived by the liberal agenda.
Sad demise to an otherwise worthwhile organization.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

This is about progressivism. Nothing more, nothing less. It frightens me how many people don't see this.

Good grief, does everything have to be about politics?

This is an ironic post, right? Because when I hear that girls need to be included in the Boy Scouts, I'm exclaiming the same words you posted. Tell me how it isn't progressivism?

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

A laxative will help you get rid of that backup.

posted Hide Post
I was in Scouts from whatever age you become a Tiger Cub till 8th grade. Essentially the entirety of the 90s.

I do not support this. For one, a huge majority of the goofing off/fun stuff we did would never have happened with girls mixed in. Boys and girls are wired differently and will act differently when around the opposite sex. Scouts was and should be a place where boys can be boys and now more than ever that is critical with how schools and the healthcare industry will label any boy who isn't a drone as ADHD and pump them full of fucking chemicals to subdue them.

I could care less if the rest of the world has co-ed Scout programs. America (thankfully!) is not the rest of the world. We do not do something just because someone else does.

If the Girl Scouts is weak and not outdoor/skill focused then fix that mess or start something new that does focus on that.

But my opinion doesn't mean anything. I've been out of the program for nearly 20 years and having kids isn't in the cards for me. I'm glad to have grown up when I did but I do feel tremendous sorrow for the children of my friends growing up in this PC liberal bullshit world the left has created.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
quote:
See my edited post.

Well you kinda proved the point when you went ahead and put a line through boys to change it to youth. It’s not intended to be beneficial to the boys.

Do you feel like you were unable to teach those principles without girls around? Do you think boys will better learn those principles in the presence of girls?

I can not help that you see serving all youth as weakening service to Boys. We are not a Wahhbi Islam based society. If Preteen and Teenage Boys need to separated from Girls to properly develop Character, Citizenship and Fitness we are doing it wrong. I can tell the Scouts in my Troop to act appropriately and assume they will do as I ask, or I can model proper behavior and hold them to those same Character traits and Cizitenship ideals by their deeds.

I’m not suggesting anything near an Islamic style society so you can stow that shit.

Saying that I think boys can benefit from being able to spend time around other boys without the distraction of girls is a long fucking way from saying what you are implying I said.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
The BSA has sold out their values. There is little left of what I loved when I earned my Eagle thirty+ years ago.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrDan:
I am going to go out on a limb, and speculate on the real reason behind this move. IMHO, the real problem in the BSA is a failure of leadership. It is easy to throw rocks at the national leadership, but the real failure is at the Troop, Pack, and District levels. There are some very well run units, but many mediocre and poorly run units. A poorly run unit drives away new volunteers and boys and becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy of failure. It is easy to point fingers at the "me" culture of parents un-willing to step up and take some leadership roles. But, in my experience, we have a number of parents that are Scouts themselves, but they won't lift a finger. Sure, every volunteer organization faces the 80/20 rule, but to all those that took the Scout Oath, why aren't you stepping up and doing your good turn? At the District level, it is even worse. Though we have a generally decent District, the majority of the volunteer positions remain un-filled. For any Scout that laments the past, I ask, what are you doing to help insure the future? To fill the leadership vacuum, many mothers have stepped up and filled those positions. Once they are there, they ask, "why can't my daughter do this too?" If you want to have boys taught to be men by men, then there have to be men that step up to do it, and too often, they don't. My earlier post about critics not being active in the BSA was directed at this point: if you are a man, have scouting experience, and don't step up to the plate, then quit your bitching, because you, and the others like you, are the problem. The youth, particularly the boys of this country need you. Many hands make light work.

Out of respect for detroit192's boldness, here is my background in Scouting. I was not a Boy Scout growing up, I didn't discover what I was missing until it was too late, but I always regretted the lost opportunity. When my son became of age, I decided he wasn't going to miss out like I did, so I took the plunge. I put my effort were my mouth is:

Assistant Cubmaster
Arrow Of Light Den Leader
Wood Badge S4-86-16-2, Troop 1 Gilwell, Eagle Patrol. Beaded.

Next year, when my son crosses over, I expect to become an ASM and Merit Badge Councilor.

My wife is:

Pack Secretary
Wood Badge S4-89-18-2, Troop 1 Gilwell, Antelope Patrol.

She is already a trained Merit Badge Councilor.

I can’t argue with any of this.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I have been a Scoutmaster, Asst Scoutmaster, Troop Committee Chair, District Order of Arrow Committee, Woodbadge, did a week at Philmont BSA High Adventure Camp. I am an Eagle Scout, as are my father, son, brother; and am currently serving as the Scout Committee Chair and Asst Webelos leader.

Maybe a good friend/neighbor put it best, a Silicon Valley computer nerd. He commented, re boys/girls, men/women, "The hardware is different, the software is different. God designed it that way for a purpose. They are to work together, in companionship, each contributing unique qualities, to raise families and to build communities.

Joint activities between boys and girls, young men and young women, is a wholesome and meaningful endeavor. But blending Scouts, ignorning gender, will likely demean meaningful gender distinctions; which in my view are God given, and in my view, necessary for wholesome societies. I think the related name change also suggests a continuing pattern that will further erode morals in society.

And in working with the Council here, I am convinced the motivation is money.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thank you for that post, Scoutmaster. Very well-spoken.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:

A laxative will help you get rid of that backup.

You are not coherent.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
The BSA has sold out their values. There is little left of what I loved when I earned my Eagle thirty+ years ago.

Holy cow! It's actually been that long! Eek

God bless America.

Posts: 13500 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:

A laxative will help you get rid of that backup. Ad hominem.

You are not coherent.

Translated the virtue signal for you.

Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
IDK what it's like these days, but I would have much rather been involved in Boy scouts than Girl scouts as a kid just because they did cooler and more useful stuff.

It seems like it would make more sense to keep the two groups separate organizations, offer the same programs and activities to both groups, and maybe merge for a few joint activities that don't involve overnighters.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am an Eagle Scout ‘92 As is my brother ‘88. He is in semi rural Texas and his 2 teen boys dropped out due to the troop politics and lack of other close by troops.

I am on the committee as treasurer for my webelos 1 son. There are 5 troops in our town And we have visited several and I know some of the leaders of some as parents of boys in our Pack who have bridged our.

Now. My daughter is 8 and finishing her Wolf year. Her and 1 other friend ( daughter of our former Cubmaster who’s son bridged) are the only 2 girls in the Pack. Separate den. Separate but equal. Hmmm. We have a council level weekend wolf- bear camp in July. To my knowledge she’s the only girl signed up so far. We’ll see. So far we have done quite a bit of outdoor activities just me and my daughter and my friend and his daughter.

I do know my son thinks it’s an absolute disgusting thing that his sister has to join as it was the last thing he did on his own without girls around. Judo, little league, even my daughters ballet classes have a few boys all are coed. Interesting girls softball is not.

My daughter who has been camping with us as a family since an infant couldn’t wait to join and had no interest in joining her friends in Girl Scouts becuse in her words “ they don’t do anything fun, like camping and hiking and only sell cookies”. When her own friend can’t sell it then it seems Girl Scouts has a problem.

So here I am. Will she want to join Boy Scouts after 5th grade ? We’ll see. Do I think allowing them to earn rank such as Eagle waters it down ? Unfortunately yes. If you held a gun to my head I’d have to say revamp Girl Scouts to make it more outdoor oriented or expand explorer/venture Scouts. But don’t water down Boy Scouts and let them earn Eagle Scout etc.

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
it was the last thing he did on his own without girls around.

Being a kid was marvelous with none of the things that burden me now. Why not let them enjoy their youth and innocence?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13400 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Not a scout and have no viewpoint. All I know is that Civil Air Patrol cadets, ages 12-18, do everything together except for sleeping and bathing.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post