SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Boy Scouts Of America now open to girls
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boy Scouts Of America now open to girls Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Overhaul the girl scouts, fine. Leave the BSA alone.

My son just got his super Webelo, and was going on to boy scouts. He said tonight he doesn't want to do it if girls are there. He has no problem with girls, he is in all kinds of activities that are co-ed, he is choir which isn't popular with boys, co-ed 4H activities, his swim team is co-ed, his tae kwon do is a mix, etc. His den has many female leaders, so he doesn't have an issue with women. I asked why, he said i don't know dad, at scouts my friends and I like to talk about Pokemon and star wars and stuff and girls don't like all that. And then they get crazy and play tackle trampoline super ball (Some bizarre game they created that is really just a WWE event more than a game). So without even knowing why, he understands that the dynamic will change. His guy time will be affected, and it turns him off scouting.

What happens when they start dating and break up, etc. All the teen drama and hormonal bullshit now infecting the whole troop. Johnny has the hots for Susie but Timmy likes her too. Blah blah. No place for that in scouts.

It was the one place he and his friends could be rowdy boys. Taking that away is just bullshit on so many levels.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Having been in the boy scouts and many years later serving on the first guided missle cruiser built with female berthing, im going to go out on a limb and guess that many scouts will emd up pregnant!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Boys just need a place where they can be boys and not worry about girls being present

You mean like boys football, baseball, soccer, basketball, and such? I played team sports from tee ball up until my Sophomore year, and then later in college, and there were very few girls around for most of it (until high school), especially at practice and the day to day.

And don't think I'm saying this from the perspective of having been some super jock, I wasn't. I was a skinny kid until high school and wasn't awesome at any of those team sports, but I did them anyway. And everyone of them offered such outlets/opportunities.

Or, I dunno, just playing outside (or inside) with their male friends? Do your kids not have neighborhood friends they're allowed to play with on a semi regular basis? No bike riding around the 'hood, playing in the adjacent woods, going to the skate park or bike track?

What about sleepovers? Regular old camping, hiking, hunting, etc, w/o Scouts? Building forts in the woods? Jumping in creeks or even mud puddles? Snow ball fights?
How and when did Scouting corner all of those markets/opportunities? (rhetorical)

If there's a legitimate lack of opportunities for your male kids to just "be boys", that sounds like a bigger and separate issue from whatever is going on in the Scouts. Why is this? (serious question). Are these edge cases (kid so-and-so hates sports, no friends nearby?)?

Of all my close male friends, say - 30, I think 5 or so were Scouts, yet all had ample opportunities to just be boys while growing up, getting dirty, roughhousing, etc., and we all learned the same sorts of things the Scouts teach, just from each other, our parents, etc.

I get that Scouting is a convenient catch all for such things, but it's not the only avenue.

Or is it, in your (the universal) case?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So they are going to have co-ed latrines?

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
BSA - Binary Scouts of America. Roll Eyes

Posts: 5302 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well isn't that special. I am a graduate from an all male private university. It went coed year after I left. It took about twenty years for things to stabilize. My buddies who went to the Point and Naval Academy went coed soon after.

I still consult with an all boys private boarding school. They will not go coed any time soon. Male bonding is important. I had friends in college that went to the top private boarding schools back East. I do not see these places going coed. I wonder what the East Coast elite think about this? My college experience was something that I will always treasure.

I have two millenial daughters and they think this is more than stupid.

Well the times they are a changing.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
Having been in the boy scouts and many years later serving on the first guided missle cruiser built with female berthing, im going to go out on a limb and guess that many scouts will emd up pregnant!

The Parenthood Merit Badge.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
.... guess that many scouts will emd up pregnant!

It absolutely won't be a lesser number than before!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Oh my...

Isn't that what the Girl Scouts were for?

You might not be able to say that for much longer. After all, it IS gender-specific, and the Boy Scouts is, uh.....

Right.

tac

Posts: 11324 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
My son just got his super Webelo, and was going on to boy scouts. He said tonight he doesn't want to do it if girls are there....
So without even knowing why, he understands that the dynamic will change. His guy time will be affected, and it turns him off scouting.

This scenario will repeat itself with boy after boy across the country. The politically correct idiots on the board have made a grave mistake. They will lose more membership than they will gain by admitting girls.

But do they even care? Or is advancing the agenda so important that declining membership doesn't matter?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
For the boys, there's always Trail-life USA, a christian spin-off of the BSA.
https://www.traillifeusa.com

For the girls, there's Trail-life's sister organization, American Heritage Girls.
https://www.americanheritagegirls.org

Here's an e-mail I got from Trail Life last night.

Character-Forming Outdoor Adventure Group Will Remain ‘a Place Where Boys Can be Boys’ Trail Life USA pledges to keep its ‘affirming’ boys focus as Boy Scouts of America announces it will start welcoming girls

BELTON, S.C.—The leader of a national outdoor adventure program aiming to help develop men of character has reassured member-families and supporters that it will remain “a place where boys can be boys.” Trail Life USA CEO Mark Hancock made the pledge in the wake of the announcement by the Boys Scouts of America that it will begin admitting girls next year. Trail Life USA’s Christian-based leadership and development program will continue to serve boys and young men exclusively, Hancock said. “As gender blurring only increases, it is more important than ever that someone provides a safe environment where boys can be boys, and where their natural talents and tendencies can be affirmed, encouraged and developed by men who can offer a positive role model,” he stated.

Since it was founded in 2013, Trail Life USA has been embraced enthusiastically by families seeking a faith-based nurture and activity program based on traditional values. Today there are almost 30,000 members in almost 750 troops across 48 states. Ignoring the essential differences between boys and girls does both sexes a disservice, Hancock said. “Increasingly, however, it seems that boys are being singled out and told that their natural traits and characteristics are somehow wrong or need to be corrected,” Hancock said.

“We believe that, properly encouraged and nurtured by good role models, what makes a boy a boy is good, for the individual and for society.” Blurring gender distinctions has made life “very confusing” for boys, Hancock said, noting that boys are far more likely than girls to be in special education or to have been diagnosed with ADHD. “Many parents are concerned that their children are raised according to time-honored truths and needs,” said Hancock. “I can assure that we have no intention of following the lead of the Boys Scouts of America.

We will continue to offer a place where the wildness and the natural tendencies of boys can be encouraged and shaped, for their good and for the good of society.” Typically chartered by local churches, Trail Life USA troops offer a K-12 program centered on outdoor experiences that build young men’s skills and help them grow on a personal level and as role models and leaders for their peers.

Hancock advised parents looking for a similar opportunity for their daughters to consider Trail Life USA’s sister organization, American Heritage Girls (https://www.americanheritagegirls.org). With more than 43,000 members in 50 states, the movement offers “the same sort of gender-appropriate, values-based environment for growth as we do,” he said.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5398 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
But do they even care? Or is advancing the agenda so important that declining membership doesn't matter?

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
My son just got his super Webelo, and was going on to boy scouts. He said tonight he doesn't want to do it if girls are there....
So without even knowing why, he understands that the dynamic will change. His guy time will be affected, and it turns him off scouting.

This scenario will repeat itself with boy after boy across the country. The politically correct idiots on the board have made a grave mistake. They will lose more membership than they will gain by admitting girls.

The Mormons were the largest single sponsor of Boy Scout troops, and I believe they pulled out a couple of years ago over the gay business. I don’t think they just left all at once but will be transitioning to their own equivalent program.

That would result in a huge decline in membership.

Am I misremembering?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Am I misremembering?

LDS is still part of Scouting and still the largest chartering organization for BSA. Many Baptist Churches that sponsored a BSA unit pulled out.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blueye:
BSA - Binary Scouts of America. Roll Eyes

That is sexist.
It will be the NON-Binary Scouts, dammitt!

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
and I believe they pulled out

There's going to be a lot of this.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DrDan:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Am I misremembering?

LDS is still part of Scouting and still the largest chartering organization for BSA. Many Baptist Churches that sponsored a BSA unit pulled out.

quote:
Older teenagers will be pulled from the Boy Scouts of America (BSA), the Mormon church announced Thursday.

The announcement from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints means an estimated 130,000-180,000 teenagers ages 14-18 will no longer participate in Boy Scouts starting next year. The Mormon church is the largest sponsor of Boy Scouts troops in the United States.

The Boy Scouts' "Varsity" and "Venturing" programs for older teens had become difficult to implement within the religion, Mormon officials said in a news release.

"Instead, Young Men activities will focus on spiritual, social, physical and intellectual outlined by the Church," officials said. "These activities are designed to be fun and meaningful and provide opportunities for personal growth and development."

The change applies just to the United States and Canada, where the "Varsity" and "Venturing" programs are implemented, according to Mormon officials. Some 280,000 younger boys ages 8-13 will be kept Scouts while the church continues to develop a global scouting-type program.

The loss is only a fraction of the 2.3 million youth in Boy Scouts, which has had a close bond with the Utah-based religion for more than 100 years.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I got some more information.

Each troop (or pack if it is the Cubs) will be single sex. There are to be no mixed troops.

Boys will not be camping (or attending weekly meetings) with girls.

Simmer down.

I saw some Girl Scout executive on TV this morning. He was losing his shit. The Girl Scouts are probably scared that they will lose membership as their programs just don't measure up to those of the BSA. But he was scare-mongering for all he was worth and accusing the BSA of not having done enough to ensure that the scouts wouldn't be molested, and that no girl would be safe in the BSA, etc.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny thing is, according to the news today, Girl Scouts organization is vehemently objecting to this change.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Each troop (or pack if it is the Cubs) will be single sex. There are to be no mixed troops.

Boys will not be camping (or attending weekly meetings) with girls.

"Separate, but equal" eh ?

I can already hear the mournful bleat of the disgruntled sheep.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post