SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Florida members check in thread
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Florida members check in thread Login/Join 
Nothing can be Something
Picture of greybeard9
posted Hide Post
Well we are boarded up and about as ready as anyone can be for an event like this.

I've been here since 1970 and have been through a few of these, but this one has me worried for my fellow Floridians.

Be safe everyone!

"In the age of madness, to expect to be untouched by madness is a form of madness." - Saul Bellow

Posts: 1063 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Winds have picked up considerably with some strong gusts and rain, but power still on and we are ok.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jehzsa:
Good news. Around 113 mph winds between Marathon and Key West just before landfall.

Did you evacuate or stay?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37991 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did you evacuate or stay?

Riding it out.

Been through worse, including the 1993 no-name storm. Told my wife the other day that when I was young and remarkably stupid, I enjoyed driving around near the coast during a hurricane. In my warped logic, if the wind was blowing from the sea, chances were practically nil that I would get hit by a tree branch.

I still don't think that it's going to be as catastrophic as the media forecasts it to be. A bunch of fear mongering going on, as depicted by the report from the Key West station showing 113 mph shortly before landfall which minutes later was reported by TV stations as a Cat 4.

However, the Bradenton/Sarasota area and Pinellas county might get the worse of it. Frown

I still hope that the intensity will diminish as it exits the keys.

Best of luck to all...

Fwiw, Marlon, my pet finch looks so cute in his new raincoat. And the rain hat fits perfectly, though I had to secure it with a couple of paper clips.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Watching for
Falling Rocks
Picture of erratic
posted Hide Post
68 degrees outside right now on the mountain. Is this a hurricane or a winter storm??

Posts: 858 | Location: North Florida Mountains | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
First rain has arrived, along with tornado warnings. Just north of Tampa.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4878 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
we left our home in Naples, and are up in Alpharetta. heading to Columbia SC next and either up to Maine if our house is uninhabitable or back home via the east coast of FL. have been buying gas cans along the way. we got our family out, left at 2.30 am on thursday morning.

good luck everyone

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
Not much here yet, but the low barometric pressure puts my Menieres into overdrive, and the low pressures will be here for a long time today. Frown

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4363 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thoughts now.

It's being sheared. The west side looks like it's being depleted.

The eye is almost gone. Bodes better for its transit through Florida.

If it stays on its north track, it goes through the middle of the state, right by Clermont and probably exiting around Duval county (Jacksonville).

It's now Cat 2. In about 5 or 6 hours it might be barely a Cat 1 hurricane.

Better outlook for half of the state than yesterday.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
Tampa Fox13's Paul Dellegatto called this well, he blasted the NHC the other night regarding the over insistence on the GFS model.

He said Irma would not intensify that well when most others were crying havoc concerning the approach to FLA.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4363 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
At Piggly Wiggly in Spanish Fort, Alabama. The state park in GA we were at was evacuated. We would go to Publix, but they closed yesterday. Apparently, they ran out of groceries and can't get more because the distribution center in Lakeland, Florida is closed.

The people in Georgia and Alabama have been fantastic. A gentleman and his son stopped by our campsite earlier and dropped off some homemade cookies. They were giving cookies to everyone from Florida.

Posts: 10994 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
At Piggly Wiggly in Spanish Fort, Alabama. The state park in GA we were at was evacuated. We would go to Publix, but they closed yesterday. Apparently, they ran out of groceries and can't get more because the distribution center in Lakeland, Florida is closed.

The people in Georgia and Alabama have been fantastic. A gentleman and his son stopped by our campsite earlier and dropped off some homemade cookies. They were giving cookies to everyone from Florida.

I am glad to hear that. We got a lot of help from out of state after Katrina. Local churches here are sheltering and feeding people with no cost to them.

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Local news is reporting that storm surge estimates for Naples/Collier County are coming down. That is fantastic news. Original estimates were 10 to 15 feet.

Posts: 6064 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Been raining steadily here in the Forest City area (sort of a neighborhood between Altamonte Springs and Apopka).

A couple of very brief power blips.

Wind is best described as a brisk breeze.

We had a local tornado warning at around 6:40 pm, warning to expire at 7:00 pm. I wanted to go outside and watch for it, my wife did not thing that was such a good idea. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30711 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belwolf:
Tampa Fox13's Paul Dellegatto called this well, he blasted the NHC the other night regarding the over insistence on the GFS model.

He said Irma would not intensify that well when most others were crying havoc concerning the approach to FLA.

Yep, he's been very accurate and optimistic for the Tampa area most of the day. We're not out of the woods yet but I did start to relax a bit when Paul called a northern track from landfall in Naples.

Posts: 818 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
ampa Fox13's Paul Dellegatto called this well, he blasted the NHC the other night regarding the over insistence on the GFS model.

He was fortunate. It is somewhat like stock market prognostication. Everybody got very lucky when the storm degraded over Cuba. I am not supporting the hyperbole you see on CNN and national outlets. Many do not know that are two degrees in the field. One is one Broadcast Meteorology, the other is in Meteorology itself. The NHC did a good job. It is not an exact science.

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Still here in Temple Terrace. Just had my first power hit. Just a quick off and on but it took my cable box about 10 minutes to reboot.

Just had my second one as I was typing this post. I may have to go to sleep soon if this keeps up.

Posts: 3389 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
ampa Fox13's Paul Dellegatto called this well, he blasted the NHC the other night regarding the over insistence on the GFS model.

He was fortunate. It is somewhat like stock market prognostication. Everybody got very lucky when the storm degraded over Cuba. I am not supporting the hyperbole you see on CNN and national outlets. Many do not know that are two degrees in the field. One is one Broadcast Meteorology, the other is in Meteorology itself. The NHC did a good job. It is not an exact science.

Yes, he (Dellegatto) said the NHC did and does a great job but he doesn't like basing too much on the GFS model.

Meanwhile we have Trop Force winds just south of Tampa (10:07pm). Power still on. Expecting Cat 1 winds maybe some Cat 2 gusts later on.

― John Adams

- Principal Skinner.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
You all are still in my prayers!
Good night all and stay safe if you hung around and for those when traveling back.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25435 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gonna get dicey here in Apopka in a few hours. More than "breezy" right now and has been, gusts 40-60 over the past 2 hours. Lots of stuff hitting the roof and my neighbor to the west has an impressive collection of my my shingles.

New track has it going right over top of us in far west Orange County. They're predicting 80-90mph sustained between 2-4am

Posts: 2689 | Location: Orlando Area | Registered: February 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post