SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need some advice from people managers.....(updated page 6)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some advice from people managers.....(updated page 6) Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear it. You can see on paper what you know is coming. Time to bail ASAP, now on your terms.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Truth be told, the business as it is currently modeled cannot sustain itself and she resists at every turn my attempts to make it physically responsible. This was supposed to be the "Dream Job"....it is turning into more of a nightmare.

Geez... Sounds like an episode of Kitchen Nightmares.

quote:
Damn.

Sad to see this, R.

I recall when you were debating this opportunity vs. another. *sigh*...

Are you certain this place can't be made viable, with the right formula?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you certain this place can't be made viable, with the right formula?

Here's the problem (of many).

Towards the of 2016 she made the decision to close one of her locations. It was 'inconvenient' because it was an hour away from her other locations. It also netted $300k per year. They always had cash flow and she lives by the mantra, "I'll make it work"

That's a lot of dollars to make up - I think she is panicking a bit. They never should have closed that location.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
She is placing the blame on me already...F-me.

Sorry to hear it's started already. When something similar happened to me (found the owner was skimming the profits and, I'm not kidding, smuggling them out in cash to some island in the Caribbean), I threw my keys on the desk and left. He was trying to draw me further in by asking me to sign company checks drawn on an account I was not an authorized signer on, which could have made me partially liable for his unpaid IRS bill.

I faced several months of unemployment after walking out of the place, but not the criminal charges he could have caused me, and I was able to use his accountants and suppliers as employment references.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
I've got to say, youve given him 3 weeks. And the pastry thing... just... no? Like, no. Nothing. Nada, ruined. Just no.

I should add in this is only to re enforce you going with what you think is right. I realize now my comment wasnt clear, due to speaking on the OP.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
General orders do not apply to her failure.

Consider yourself properly relived of your post at a time of your choosing.

You truly do not owe her more and should not care more for her affairs than she does.

There are a lot of people here who have connections, and sage advice.

And. lastly, you have what it takes to make it better, a good year behind us, economically speaking, and very likely a better year in front.

It's cold, it's gray and full of suck, but it's temporary.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
I find it hard to see how you can make things work if the owner will not let you do your best. Things are as they are for a reason, and it isn't you.

You need to plan your exit so you have a place to jump to, before she decides to send you on your way. She probably should have closed your location and kept the other one open, but that ship has sailed and she is going to get tired of taking money from her other businesses. Maybe she won't, but she will continue to blame you and make your life miserable.

Better to leave soon than after another 6 months of high stress.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SAC trained killer
Picture of Ricardokid11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EasyFire:
When I had to let someone go for any reason, I would get them an interview with someone else for a position better suited to their abilities.

Made termination less traumatic for everyone plus saved on unemployment costs.

The last thing I would do would be get someone that I fired for any reason, an interview with someone else. That's just passing someone with employment issues on to another person or company. No way.

" May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am".

Posts: 2083 | Location: Glen Allen, VA. | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardokid11:
quote:
Originally posted by EasyFire:
When I had to let someone go for any reason, I would get them an interview with someone else for a position better suited to their abilities .

Made termination less traumatic for everyone plus saved on unemployment costs.

The last thing I would do would be get someone that I fired for any reason, an interview with someone else. That's just passing someone with employment issues on to another person or company. No way.

You missed an important qualifier.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
You missed an important qualifier.

I'm a big believer in this and have been able to keep friendly contact with some of the folks I have termed in the past because of this. Sometimes people are just the wrong fit.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Today I told her to "pound sand". The relief and weight-off-shoulders I feel is amazing.

I'll update later...going for lunch and a beer.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted Hide Post
quote:
Today I told her to "pound sand". The relief and weight-off-shoulders I feel is amazing.

I'll update later...going for lunch and a beer.

Good for you. Starting the new year off the right way. Good luck!

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my past 50 some years of working for people, I found it hard to work for a Woman. I usually last only a few months. Even in Civil Service positions where I was employed, Women supervisors seemed to muddle up the daily run of operations, causing key individuals (men) to either retire or transfer to other departments.

IMO....Women who I worked for often confused emotion with logic.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Today I told her to "pound sand". The relief and weight-off-shoulders I feel is amazing...

More than most people, I understand how difficult it was to take that action. I've had to do it twice, the second time it wasn't any easier than the first.

Start your job search this evening with e-mails to your contacts, including suppliers who may know of an opening. No rants, just "Things came to a head this morning, thought I'd let you know, would appreciate your help networking..."

Keep posting here, there's a lot of support.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Much to tell....But I need time to digest, Yesterday was the final straw. It being New Year’s Day I wanted to have the operation closed as we pay ‘double time’ and I knew we would not be busy enough to support a staff of employees and still make our labor plan. We agreed (via e-mail and verbally) that we would close at noon today.

Around 9am I get a note from her reminding me that we are open until 5:30pm like always. “No” I said. “We are open til noon, like we discussed”. This went back and forth until she sent me a screen shot of the email that she “sent” me.

Funny, I never received that email...know why? Cause she never sent it. Notice at the top where it notes that it was found in her “draft folder”. This is the shit I’ve been dealing with from the beginning, only now I have evidence to back up my claims.

The stores did $1400 in sales yesterday...I did the math on the labor to have the sites open all day at double time? $1945.

We ran negative $545 cash flow yesterday.

Congrats Boss, you win! LOL

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
In my past 50 some years of working for people, I found it hard to work for a Woman. I usually last only a few months. Even in Civil Service positions where I was employed, Women supervisors seemed to muddle up the daily run of operations, causing key individuals (men) to either retire or transfer to other departments.

IMO....Women who I worked for often confused emotion with logic.

Interesting comment. As a female employer, I’ve found the staff that stick with me the longest and get along with me best are the men. Huh.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Much to tell....But I need time to digest, Yesterday was the final straw. It being New Year’s Day I wanted to have the operation closed as we pay ‘double time’ and I knew we would not be busy enough to support a staff of employees and still make our labor plan. We agreed (via e-mail and verbally) that we would close at noon today.

Around 9am I get a note from her reminding me that we are open until 5:30pm like always. “No” I said. “We are open til noon, like we discussed”. This went back and forth until she sent me a screen shot of the email that she “sent” me.

Funny, I never received that email...know why? Cause she never sent it. Notice at the top where it notes that it was found in her “draft folder”. This is the shit I’ve been dealing with from the beginning, only now I have evidence to back up my claims.

The stores did $1400 in sales yesterday...I did the math on the labor to have the sites open all day at double time? $1945. Congrats Boss, you win! LOL

Yikes. Did you show her the math, and at least suggest to cut staff so you could break even? Did she acknowledge that it looks as though it’d never been actually sent? I bet the surprise to stay open went over like a lead balloon with the staff, too.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"We" have not run ourselves into a $20,000 hole. "You" have done that, and I'm trying to get you out of it.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
She is obviously not playing with a full deck. Best of luck in finding a worthwhile endeavor to move on to.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless your other locations make (net) $3 million a year. Any idiot owner that closes a location that nets $300k a year because it's an hour away, I would stop working for ASAP.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post