SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need some advice from people managers.....(updated page 6)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some advice from people managers.....(updated page 6) Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Here's just one link outlining such IP challenges regarding food:

Some legal blog

Take it for what you will.

Good luck.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I’ve not read through the entire thread, and I’m not a particularly effective people manager, but I have always striven to take responsibility for a principal’s result, but only if I had complete control. Otherwise, it’s not my fault.

Tell me what I am to accomplish, and get the hell out of the way. Deal only with me, no going around meddling, undercutting, backbiting, etc. Management by committee ends up with a horse that looks like a camel.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Caveat to my reply: I only read through the first page, and the update on page 6.

I'm a relatively new manager. I was a Shift Supervisor for a number of years, but I was only given my own site in August.

I agree with everything that's been said, that he needs to be let go. However, it sounds like the ball was really dropped by allowing him unfettered access to all the recipes with no legal protection regarding what he does with them.

What is his general attitude like, as a person? Is his selling or using those recipes in away detrimental to you a likely event? I've had guys who were absolute garbage at their job, but still decent human beings. They were either let go, or moved to another site, with little to no animosity. Typically I was able to find something more suited to their abilities/personalities, which is a luxury I am *very* thankful for.

If he has a garbage attitude to match the problems you're having, and he's likely going to steal/sell those recipes...in all honestly it sounds like a lose-lose now.

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Sounds like your real problem is the owner, and the other guy is just a symptom of the problem.

Start with the problem (owner) then work it back from there. You can't put out fires as quickly as some one else can start them.

Otherwise, start looking for other opportunities. And get your own copy of the recipies.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
UPDATE

quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
You okay, Ronin?

My head is about to explode. Working for an entrepreneur can sometimes be a major pain-in-the-ass....I am so f'ing pissed off right now. Unbeknownst to me, Owner gave Chef a jump-drive with all of our recipes on it...he in turned downloaded said jump drive to his laptop.

Owner called me late Sunday night and told me I cannot fire him yet....he has our recipes. Owner has not ever had anyone sign any type of non-compete, or any type document to protect our intellectual property. Just add it to the elevety-billion number of things I have found I need to take care of in the 3 months I have worked here.

I've researched these types of docs and found that in most/all cases, they are good from the date they are signed. They do not include anything that may have happened prior to signing the document. Meaning....if Chef wanted to go out and sell cook books with our recipes in them...he probably could.

The past couple days have been 'circle the wagons' mode for me. Meeting with the staff, and then meeting with him. I put him on a very strict action plan, and am busting his ass every time he strays from it. Owner is out of town; so I am keeping things above water as best I can for right now. Hopefully I can get him to sign something saying he will delete any recipes he has in exchange for some type of severance....I need to get this done.

Side gripe....I have worked for owner just 3 short months. It's not my first time working in a situation like this, but I've been 'corporate' for the past decade or so. It's been awhile since I've had my phone blow up at all hours of the day/night because of a whim Owner has. Time for a come-to-Jesus meeting when owner gets back into town. I cannot focus on the priorities (like creating some freeking budgets so that the staff stops spending money on shit) when I am constantly pausing to answer Owner's text messages and emails.

I could have worse problems I guess.

Ronin, just curious. How is the situation working out now?

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6405 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you fire him yet?

Who really cares if he has the recipe's, he's going to screw them up on his own with margarine, liquid eggs and crap so why worry?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
But have you ever tried to protect a recipe as IP of even know anyone who has. I believe it is exceedingly rare, especially down at the restaurant level.

Recipes can be protected under trade secret law.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Hi Ronin,
How are you holding up at work buddy?

Hopefully the Holidays are a big hit with your customers and your HR headaches are all gone due to all the work kitchen crew is focused on.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
But have you ever tried to protect a recipe as IP of even know anyone who has. I believe it is exceedingly rare, especially down at the restaurant level.

Recipes can be protected under trade secret law.

Sure, but down at the local restaurant level, any more so than rarely - in practice?

It's one thing if you're talking about Oreos, Doritos, or Coke.

But the Cobb Salad at Bob's Diner?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
Tagging for a read later.

Sock Eating Golden

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I fired him today.

It was ugly. I am exhausted....more to follow.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
I fired him today.

It was ugly. I am exhausted....more to follow.

You did the right thing

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It reminds me of a situation I was in some years back, managing a small chain of sporting goods stores, had to fire a new employee we caught stealing from the cash register. The owner of the chain didn't want to fire the guy, and I never figured out why not, but eventually we got rid of him, and it was a painfully-memorable summer.

After threats of violence, all the rest of my employees came to work armed with pistols, and we were not a gun shop.

All I can say is to protect yourself from legal repercussions, watch your six, and try to get past it before it takes a toll on the rest of your life.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9159 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
So I have been putting together budgets for 2018. This place has never had a 'real' budget since the new owner took over, to the point where food/labor/cost-of-goods are typically seat of your pants (order what you think you need) vs. a specific budget. For some reason she has been resistant to me doing this (budgets); now I know why.

The place is broke. It's been running negative cash flow for months and every once in a while she just puts money into it from her other businesses. A tax write off? My salary alone is a huge labor % when put up against their current sales trends.

Truth be told, the business as it is currently modeled cannot sustain itself and she resists at every turn my attempts to make it physically responsible. This was supposed to be the "Dream Job"....it is turning into more of a nightmare.

Damn.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I am sorry to hear this.

You come across as squared away and locked on and trying to live day in day out is a clusterfuck, willingly giving 110% while others are reluctantly having 20% dragged out of their ass.

I do not know if moving to another location that can appreciate your contributions and reward you with a position to grow and compensate your efforts is an option.

But consider it for your long term health and well being.

Wishing you a truly Happy New Year.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43885 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Thanks Monkey.

At this point it comes down to this, She cannot afford me, and I can see that on paper.

She likes to travel and run her other businesses....I'm discovering that she essentially hired me to run this business so that she could be free to do her 'other things'. In the end, the percentages do not add up. This business does not bring in enough revenue to break even month-to-month and all of the cutbacks in the world will not change that. Because...math.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear the bad news. I wish you the best in 2018.

I believe I will be experiencing a similar employment disruption in 2018 - but I am optimistic the results will be for the better.

Hang in there!

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I might be reiterating other people’s words but here is my advise and my experience:

1. I have managed a kitchen of 60 people for over 5 years
2. I currently manager a major retail food/grocery store that does $550,000-$600,000 a week.

That’s my experience if you deem it not worthy no need to read the below.

1. Control what you can control and let go of the rest. You cannot control what the owners did with the recipe book. You have only been there 3 months. Solve the problems you can solve first. One step at a time. You can either put out 1 fire properly and let everything burn or constantly muff out one flame after another with no results.

2. Set clear expectations. I sit you down. I ask you if you know what the expectations are. You tell me what you think. If they are wrong, I reiterate exactly what I want with no open ended statements. If they are right, I go down the path of telling you exactly what you did and why they were not up to expectations. I outline a timeline for completion and possible consequences. You do not follow up, I will.

Sidebar. I once hired a girl who claimed to have her own catering business. She brought books and pictures and everything. We fired her after 2 days.
1. Pictures werent hers.
2. She changed the story to want to start a catering.
3. She grabbed the knife with a fistful on the handle.
4. She doesnt know what parsley or basil is.

Posts: 907 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bail.

Some day the owner is going to come to her senses and shut the doors, probably without warning, and probably place the blame at least partially on you. Don't ask how I know that.

It's time to cut your losses.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9159 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Bail.

Some day the owner is going to come to her senses and shut the doors, probably without warning, and probably place the blame at least partially on you. Don't ask how I know that.

It's time to cut your losses.

She is placing the blame on me already. We had a VERY tense conversation yesterday when after telling me we had lost $9,000 in Q4, I pointed out that last year (2016) they had lost $34,211 in the same quarter (without me) and if she had not forced me to retain that chef, we would have broken even for Q4 this year.

F-me.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ