SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need some advice from people managers.....(updated page 6)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need some advice from people managers.....(updated page 6) Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys, you are simply validating what I know to be the right decision. I feel bad, we recruited him from another business, but in the end I’ve found a lot of people coming from a corporate background struggle w an “entrepreneurial” situation…I don’t see him being the type to change.

I’ve worked with chefs my whole life, he fooled me and did not interview like the pompous ass he is showing himself as. I think I’ll be able to get him a 2 weeks severance, Monday’s going to suck.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12334 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
"I feel bad"....terminate them

The right decisions are often the hardest. When your business fails and all employees are out of a job it will REALLY feel bad. You will be doing this person a favor as well as your team.

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
He's not following orders, screwing up your business, and you have to ask? Well, I guess that comes with the times.

Are you sure this guy really was what he says he was in his previous job?

Fire his ass, before your customers start firing your company.

This!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
he is changing recipes in the spirit of cost or ease. (trading out butter for margarine in pastries) and recently made the decision to stop purchasing regular eggs so that he could use liquid eggs instead.

God that is not "chef" quality. Would the customer base like it if told their food they're eating is made with margarine and liquid eggs instead of real butter and fresh eggs? I think not.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16702 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Monday’s going to suck.

Not sure about that Ronin. A solid termination based on fact is a thing of beauty.
The new guy is down the road to seek sucess and you get to continue your journey
towards whatever goals you have in mind. Nothing personal,just bidness.
Curious as to what kind of food you feature. What is your specialty?

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
It sounds like he should open his own restaurant instead of working in yours. I've hired people that have brought in good ideas but when they think they can take over the company they've always been wrong.

Posts: 3455 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I manage a team of 12....

He needs to go. Now.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
I manage over 50 people in offices from coast to coast. I deal with the most insane HR issues you can imagine. You told him your expectations when you hired him, you coached him when he was not doing as you wished, you followed up with him when he continues to go off the reservation. There is nothing left to do and nothing to feel bad about. It's business, fire him ASAP.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
My underlying principal with employees is "I write the checks, do things the way I want them done or give me concrete proof there is a better way to do things". He hasn't. In fact, he has made things worse and gone contrary to what he has been told.

First thing Monday, he's gone. No other way. And don't feel bad or regret it for a millisecond.

Posts: 11223 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
margarine

Dude's got to go.

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GET RID OF HIM ASAP. Nothing will lose customers faster than changing the taste of their favorite dishes. People can tell the difference between butter and margarine and real eggs and liquid eggs and never come back. The reason most people go to restaurants is because it's better than what they can cook themselves.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
2 things yes fire him. And apologize to the staff. Let them know you are the boss and that he didn’t treat them well and you recognized that. Good spot to build up the staff you do have and make them feel involved.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
quote:
margarine

Dude's got to go.

Smile

Yes. I don't even eat that crap.

Posts: 26908 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I would absolutely get rid of him but I would consult your attorney first to make sure you cover your ass.

Alienating your staff is an awful offense. Your greatest asset to the organization are the people.

Happy employees make happy customers. Take care of your people and they will ensure you succeed.

Posts: 13115 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would absolutely get rid of him but I would consult your attorney first to make sure you cover your ass.

One good thing about Minnesota, we are an "at will" state. Possible we might lose to unemployment court, but that's it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12334 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I agree with the guy that said you should have fired him yesterday.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
They can't all be winners.

Posts: 17132 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:

One good thing about Minnesota, we are an "at will" state. Possible we might lose to unemployment court, but that's it.

Not when he's only been there a few weeks, just document everything. Also, do not feel bad about firing him. You didn't fire him, he did it himself.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Two weeks severance is never a bad thing. At Will state helps you a lot.

Don't feel bad. In your initial interview and in further meetings is seems you have laid out your expectations clearly. Doesn't appear that those have changed. Whether he just doesn't get it, or refuses to, doesn't matter. At what you're paying him, hand holding is out of the question. His job is to meet your expectations and he isn't doing it.

I've been managing folks since the late 80's and letting folks go, no matter the reason, sucks. It sounds to me like you've been very reasonable and have made plenty of effort to bring him on line. Sometimes stuff just doesn't work.

Let him go, and do something nice for the staff.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
If yours is a "right to work" State you can show him the door without the two week business. If not tell him two weeks pay but don't bother showing up. Telling him that there is an obvious disconnect between his perceptions of how things should be done and what you and the other owners have told him will stick in his craw. Don't need him around for two more weeks generating pay back mayhem. Frown

Firing under these circumstances should not cause you personal distress. This bozo is bringing it all on himself.

As an aside I did plenty of both hiring and firing in my day (I had a civilian career in addition to my military one) as well as grooming subordinate managers. Funny but many had a more difficult time handing out meaningful praise than chewing ass or even firing folks.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post