SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bitcoin: The World’s Most Dramatic Bubble Ever? **** New story p. 6 ****
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bitcoin: The World’s Most Dramatic Bubble Ever? **** New story p. 6 **** Login/Join 
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
Where do I store my bitcoins? In the gun safe or the spare hard drive next to the kitchen sink?
They aren't nearly as lumpy under the mattress as the gold bars.

Posts: 6740 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
There's simply too much information about BTC that isn't going to be summed up in one post. All I have to say is that cryptocurrencies are the future. Period. Remember this thing called the "personal computer" or "the internet?" Cryptocurrency is the next thing that will change the world and how we look back on it.

It's bigger than Bitcoin. Research ICOs and understand that Bitcoin is the standard by which every other token is valued for trading purposes. Oppressed people in Asia use it to store wealth because Governments can't take it from them the way they can when it's in a bank account or hidden under the mattress. Google the price of Bitcoin in Zimbabwe. When people can't use a 55 gallon drum filled with their own country's currency to buy a loaf of bread, the people turn to something that'll actually hold value. Many have tried to kill off Bitcoin... Governments, other currencies and it's still reigning supreme. It may not be that way forever (quite unlikely actually) but less than 0.5% of the world buys/trades BTC. Imagine what it'll be worth when 1% or 5% of the world gets into it and it's going to happen.

People get all excited when their portfolio makes double digits a year. I made that this week and with the price correction today I'm well positioned to double my money once it recovers (should be well before the end of November). Anyone who dismisses this (especially without understanding what it's capable of) is going to watch those who didn't reap all the benefits.

I sold off most of my guns to finance my trading. I could buy almost 3 times my prior collection if I cash out at $7,000.

Beware the man who has one gun because he probably knows how to use it.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I guarantee you, it's coming. The government is squeezing the banks to deal less with cash. Businesses increasing don't want to deal with cash, and neither do a lot of their customers. I've seen retail businesses that just don't take cash any more.

Look at what happened in India, and they're orders of magnitude less ready to deal without cash than we are.

quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

On the flip side, if they can tame the technolgy, I could see something like this being adopted by governments (US and others) as a replacement for paper currency.

Screw. That. Noise.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guarantee you, it's coming. The government is squeezing the banks to deal less with cash. Businesses increasing don't want to deal with cash, and neither do a lot of their customers. I've seen retail businesses that just don't take cash any more.

Look at what happened in India, and they're orders of magnitude less ready to deal without cash than we are.

quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

On the flip side, if they can tame the technolgy, I could see something like this being adopted by governments (US and others) as a replacement for paper currency.

Screw. That. Noise.

Government and financial institutions have been trying to get rid of paper money for a while now and they can't even get rid of the penny.

Ironically, so many of the people opposed to Bitcoin don't understand Blockchain technology and how it could be used to provide transparency in Government. Imagine when governments spend the tax dollars there's an online ledger that fully discloses where every penny went, isn't hackable and is cross checked verified and confirmed by millions of systems mining that data. If this technology was in use the whole world would know exactly where every cent of the $300 million Clinton sent to Haiti went. Think about that.

Posts: 368 | Location: Somplace with cold drinks and warm women | Registered: May 04, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Eye:
There's simply too much information about BTC that isn't going to be summed up in one post. All I have to say is that cryptocurrencies are the future. Period. Remember this thing called the "personal computer" or "the internet?" Cryptocurrency is the next thing that will change the world and how we look back on it.

It's bigger than Bitcoin. Research ICOs and understand that Bitcoin is the standard by which every other token valued for trading purposes. Oppressed people in Asia use it to store wealth because Governments can't take it from them the way they can when it's in a bank account or hidden under the mattress. Google the price of Bitcoin in Zimbabwe. When people can't use a 55 gallon drum of their own country's currency to buy a loaf of bread, the people turn to something that'll actually hold value. Many have tried to kill off Bitcoin... Governments, other currencies and it's still reigning supreme. It may not be that way forever (quite unlikely actually) but less than 0.5% of the world buys/trades BTC. Imagine what it'll be worth when 1% or 5% of the world gets into it and it's going to happen.

People get all excited when their portfolio makes double digits a year. I made that this week and with the price correction today I'm well positioned to double my money once it recovers (should be well before the end of November). Anyone who dismisses this (especially without understanding what it's capable of) is going to watch those who didn't reap all the benefits.

I sold off most of my guns to finance my trading. I could buy almost 3 times my prior collection now if I cash out at $7,000.

crypto currencies can be banned or regulated into the ground by governments. The reason they could do this is because of taxation.

PC's didn't pose such an issue.

Why would you like to own a Bitcoin over a dollar? Assuming neither is growing at an explosive rate...that they are both stable monetary mediums. Why own a bitcoin?

The appeal to bitcoin is two fold IMO. 1) it's appreciating like crazy. 2) it's unregulated and can't be tracked/taxed

if you remove those two factors...both of which must be removed for it to be a viable currency...why bother owning it?

The people who I believe are heavily investing the Pump side of the pump and dump scheme say things like, "it's the future" and they want us to believe it, but I simply don't see why I'd prefer it to a USD.

and let's assume it does become a global currency, why on earth would it be 7,000 times more valuable than a dollar? That makes no sense to me. Certain currencies as seen as more valuable as others based on their stability...e.g. the government and economy behind them.

So long as the US government and the US economy are strong, we have faith the dollar will be around and worth something. On what basis are we saying the Bitcoin will be around for a while and worth something? Confederate currency comes to mind.

For those reasons, I don't agree with your post and think the Bitcoin is going to implode.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Traveler
Picture of Sweden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
why on earth would it be 7,000 times more valuable than a dollar?

Let me provide a technical response that does not account for all variables to account for 7000:1 ........

2^31 = ~21 Million unique combinations in the block chain. That is the max number of Bit Coins available. How many dollars are in circulation?

Posts: 2484 | Location: CO | Registered: April 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:

How many dollars are in circulation?

72. When faced with a question about numbers I always respond with 72. It seems like a good wholesome number. Depending on what we are talking about I could either fit it in my pocket or tow it with an M88, so yeah. 72.

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
ES Dunbar, I doubt very much that you read up on ICOs so I'll provide a very brief summary: It's a way for startups to raise significant capital without relying on banks, venture capital or grants. What's significant capital? Let's say a couple of college kids found a better way to do something that a Microsoft or Google would love to steal (and this happens a lot). The only way to preserve it is to have the money to patent it and afford the lawyers to go after the sharks, all while running a business, scaling it, etc. Good luck going to a bank trying to borrow millions without the traditional loan documents. Pitch the idea to a venture capital firm and they might start leaking your idea to other clients that could do the same thing that they're already invested in. Grants? Don't make me laugh.

In a world where small business is getting slaughtered by the Walmarts, Microsofts and Wells Fargos of the world, ICOs are a way for main street to have a better chance going up against wall street.

safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let me provide a technical response

Well count me in for a technical question.

How do you spend your Bitcoins if the power is out and you lack internet access?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15837 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sweden:
quote:
why on earth would it be 7,000 times more valuable than a dollar?

Let me provide a technical response that does not account for all variables to account for 7000:1 ........

2^31 = ~21 Million unique combinations in the block chain. That is the max number of Bit Coins available. How many dollars are in circulation?

Ok, so the artificial restriction on an artificial "thing" is the answer...and you're okay with that? I'm not. That's not a basis for a valuation imo.

If I said, hey, you should put all your dollars in (whatever the North Korean currency is...let's call it NKC's). You'd say, hell no! N. Korea isn't stable, for all I know it could be worthless overnight. But with Bitcoin, people seem to be ok with the total lack of backing or stability. They seem to think it's perfectly acceptable as the currency of future for reasons I can't obviously understand.

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
How do you spend your Bitcoins if the power is out and you lack internet access?

That is also my question. Imagine a natural disaster. No power for weeks. No cell signal. How do you pay for goods and services?

Physical currency is NEVER going away. EVER. The government may want it to, and it is purely because it gives them control over the people and how they spend it (and the .gov ability to tax it). But it won't happen.

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
ES Dunbar, I doubt very much that you read up on ICOs so I'll provide a very brief summary: It's a way for startups to raise significant capital without relying on banks, venture capital or grants. What's significant capital? Let's say a couple of college kids found a better way to do something that a Microsoft or Google would love to steal (and this happens a lot). The only way to preserve it is to have the money to patent it and afford the lawyers to go after the sharks, all while running a business, scaling it, etc. Good luck going to a bank trying to borrow millions without the traditional loan documents. Pitch the idea to a venture capital firm and they might start leaking your idea to other clients that could do the same thing that they're already invested in. Grants? Don't make me laugh.

In a world where small business is getting slaughtered by the Walmarts, Microsofts and Wells Fargos of the world, ICOs are a way for main street to have a better chance going up against wall street.

Huh? ICO's are not a stock offering man. Your post honestly doesn't make sense. The ICO is literally a currency offering. It's not a crowd funding play.

I know people are trying to make it that, but I just dont see it working.

Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
Let me provide a technical response

Well count me in for a technical question.

You can spend bitcoins using pen and paper.

posted Hide Post
quote:

I'd MUCH rather get rid of any government insisting on a complete ability to track citizens' every move via eliminating physical currency in favor of standard electronic transactions than have alternative currencies taken off the table.

I don't care if the alternative systems are fraught with money laundering and other criminal activities. It's a risk I'm willing to put up with versus a totalitarian state that knows every last detail of what each person chooses to spend the money they allow him /her to keep on.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
If you think BitCoin or something like is the future, that's great. But why not wait until it implodes before diving in? The implosion will force the setting of some kind of valuation that most people might consider credible.

Posts: 27302 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’d like to see a description that concludes with a straight face that these ICO’s done without compliance with securities laws are lawful, or exempt from compliance. Of course, they are not. Calling a participation a “token” instead of a share is foolishness.

There are a lot of episodes of Anerican Greed being grown here.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
quote:

Huh? ICO's are not a stock offering man. Your post honestly doesn't make sense. The ICO is literally a currency offering. It's not a crowd funding play.

ICO is misleading. They're not coins, they're tokens. The amount of tokens one owns does not give them voting rights and I never said that ICOs were a stock offering. But as the company grows in value so do the tokens and Bitcoin is the main currency in which these tokens are valued/traded.

I've spent a lot of time learning/researching this space. 40+ hours of discussions with people far more intelligent than me who are in this space, one who lead the cryptocurrency/digital asset team for a US senator and briefed him directly. I read 4-6 hours a day on this topic alone. I like it, you don't. I've commented in this thread so members could better understand it from someone who's put the time, effort and money into cryptocurrencies. You don't understand it, don't have any money in it and have already wrote it off as a failure so why are you here? To play stump the chump on a subject you know nothing about?

The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

ICO is misleading. They're not coins, they're tokens. The amount of tokens one owns does not give them voting rights and I never said that ICOs were a stock offering. But as the company grows in value so do the tokens and Bitcoin is the main currency in which these tokens are valued/traded.

I've spent a lot of time learning/researching this space. 40+ hours of discussions with people far more intelligent than me who are in this space, one who lead the cryptocurrency/digital asset team for a US senator and briefed him directly. I read 4-6 hours a day on this topic alone. I like it, you don't. I've commented in this thread so members could better understand it from someone who's put the time, effort and money into cryptocurrencies. You don't understand it, don't have any money in it and have already wrote it off as a failure so why are you here? To play stump the chump on a subject you know nothing about?

I don't understand it, I don't have any time or effort in it, I don't have any money in it? Have we met? How do you know all of this exactly?

I need not give some BS digital resume in an attempt to bolster my opinion. Frankly, based on your writing in here, I don't believe your claims.

Jallen in the post above yours gave you the answer. In all of your research, you and your Senator seemed to have missed the simple point stated clearly by Jallen.

An ICO isn't a IPO. Trying to make it an unregulated IPO will not work. It will be regulated. I give it a zero percent chance that our government and the governments of other developed nations allow that to happen.

I can put out an ICO, make a ton of money and simply walk away with the cash; leaving "investors" with nothing. I can then spend that money untaxed on goods....and you think that's gonna fly long term?

I figured that would have come up in your hours of intelligence briefings.

Honestly man, you sound like the multitude of millennials who drink the kooladie on Bitcoin and have swallowed it hook line and sinker.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Bitcoin is absolutely, categorically, NOT anonymous.

This is the most common misconception regarding it.

SOME 3rd Party measures can aid with some degree of anonymity.

No one is actually spending any relatively large amount of it with any real anonymity.

It isn't designed to be anonymous, and it isn't anonymous in practice either. Anonymity wasn't ever the point of it, either.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dead_Eye
posted Hide Post
JALLEN: IRS considers cryptocurrency property and the SEC does not have any authority over any cryptocurrency. Even if they did the rest of the world doesn't care what the SEC or America thinks and will buy/trade as they please.

Governments and financial institutions are fearful of this because they can't control it. I saw an opportunity to buy an altcoin at a great value. I bought 5 figures worth of bitcoins on the local exchange and sent it to my European exchange so I could buy it. Cost: $0.06 (yup, not a typo). Total time to send, receive and buy the altcoin: less than 15 minutes. Oh, and I did that at 3am EST. Sure beat waiting until the bank opened at 8am, sit down with the bank manager, fill out all this paperwork and answer all sorts of questions as to why I need to wire money to Europe and pay a $45 wire fee that won't get there until they get another signature and it goes through SWIFT which means I wouldn't be able to access it until the next business day.