SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bitcoin: The World’s Most Dramatic Bubble Ever? **** New story p. 6 ****
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bitcoin: The World’s Most Dramatic Bubble Ever? **** New story p. 6 **** Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
One month ago, a chart from Convoy Investments went viral for showing that among all of the world's most famous asset bubbles, bitcoin was only lagging the infamous 17th century "Tulip Mania."

[Graph at link]

One month later, the price of bitcoin has exploded even higher, and so it is time to refresh where in the global bubble race bitcoin now stands, and also whether it has finally surpassed "Tulips."

Conveniently, overnight the former Bridgewater analysts Howard Wang and Robert Wu who make up Convoy, released the answer in the form of an updated version of their asset bubble chart. In the new commentary, Wang writes that the Bitcoin prices have again more than doubled since the last update, and "its price has now gone up over 17 times this year, 64 times over the last three years and superseded that of the Dutch Tulip’s climb over the same time frame."

That's right: as of this moment it is official that bitcoin is now the biggest bubble in history, having surpassed the Tulip Mania of 1634-1637.

And with that we can say that crypto pioneer Mike Novogratz was right once again when he said that "This is going to be the biggest bubble of our lifetimes." Which, of course, does not stop him from investing hundreds of millions in the space: when conceding that cryptos are the biggest bubble ever, "Novo" also said he expects bitcoin to hit $40,000 and ethereum to triple to $1,500.

"Bitcoin could be at $40,000 at the end of 2018. It easily could," Novogratz said Monday on CNBC's "Fast Money." "Ethereum, which I think just touched $500 or is getting close, could be triple where it is as well."

As for Wang, here are some additional observations:

I continue this topic and discuss a main driver of bubbles. When we see a dramatic rise in asset prices, there is often an internal struggle between the two types of investors within us. The first is the value investor, “is this investment getting too expensive?” The second is the momentum investor, “am I missing out on a trend?” I believe the balance of these two approaches, both within ourselves and across a market, ultimately determines the propensity for bubble-like behavior. When there is a new or rapidly evolving market, our conviction in the value investor can weaken and the momentum investor can take over. Other markets that structurally lack a basis for valuation are even more susceptible to momentum swings because the main indicator of future value is the market’s perception of recent value.

We will publish the balance of Wang's full note "What causes asset bubbles?" shortly, but for now we just wanted to experience a moment of true zen serenity, knowing that we now stand in proximity to an asset bubble the magnitude of which has never before been observed by humanity. Thanks central banks!

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I took my bi-monthly gambling money and bought some coins Saturday. Doubled it already. Like 24/7 Roulette!

If I lose it, smeh, if I don't, It'll be a fun run! Plus I save 2 months worth of second-hand smoke to let my lungs get better!

Read a solid article about how bitcoin will crash but once it does and gets stabil and country adopts it will catch on and be the real deal since it cant be manipulated. Still a ways off from that but it seems quite probable.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8239 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
For those playing the crypto bubble, don't do what Sir Issac Newton did and end up going broke.

Newton had a brilliant brain, but he had not studied the psychology of trading financial bubbles.

LINK about Newton and the South Sea bubble from Sovereign Man

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
From Jason Zweg’s commentaries with later versions of the Intelligent Investor:

"Back in the spring of 1720, Sir Isaac Newton owned shares in the South Sea Company, the hottest stock in England. Sensing that the market was getting out of hand, the great physicist muttered that he 'could calculate the motions of the heavenly bodies, but not the madness of the people.' Newton dumped his South Sea shares, pocketing a 100% profit totaling £7,000. But just months later, swept up in the wild enthusiasm of the market, Newton jumped back in at a much higher price — and lost £20,000 (or more than $3 million in [2002-2003's] money. For the rest of his life, he forbade anyone to speak the words 'South Sea' in his presence."

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
And the bubble bursts....

Posts: 6081 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Yeah, almost.

Trading was halted today after a 44% drop (to about 11,000), now back at 14,000 or so.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:

Not any time soon...

Posts: 5226 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
quote:

Not any time soon...

What do you call a 47% drop in a matter of days?
I hope you don't call it a buying opportunity.

Posts: 6081 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not any time soon...

It's a market correction. It should happen after huge spikes like the one last week. It will spike quite a few more times before the bust, which I do think will happen, just not the way people expect it to.

Posts: 5226 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say that the Bitcoin phenomenon is over just yet, despite the 43% decline in the last week. I've just been buying gold, HODLing Goldmoney, and watching the crypto-currencies.

Here's ZeroHedges summary about what happened today: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/...ency-heatmap-sea-red

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not any time soon...

It's a market correction. It should happen after huge spikes like the one last week. It will spike quite a few more times before the bust, which I do think will happen, just not the way people expect it to.

They never do.

The unexpected always happens when you least expect it.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Ripple coming for bitcoin now the #2 coin for market cap. Partnered with banks and CC companies. Gonna be a fun ride!

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Delqlyn, how in the world do I go about buying bitcoin or litecoin?

Nothing I research makes any sense.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Tulips! Tulips for sale!

Posts: 109018 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

You have to use real money. Let that be your first clue.

Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Tulips! Tulips for sale!

Big Grin Exactly.

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6107 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:

You have to use real money. Let that be your first clue.

What kind of money?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:

theres quite a few ways but coinbase is probably the easiest.

Crazy Bitcoin already surpassed Tulip Mania bubble! I guess maybe thats global scale vs semi regional?

Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
They never do.

The unexpected always happens when you least expect it.

Here is WHAT HAPPENED, well generally. GBTC, The Bitcoin Investment Trust which is traded on pink sheets, was trading well over Net Asset Value (NAV). Arbitrage occurred going long Bitcoin and shorting GBTC. When GBTC got near NAV, Bitcoin was sold in size and and GBTC shorts were covered. And then GDAX, a digital token exchange, broke under the volume of Bitcoin activity. I have no idea what part the launching of the CME Bitcoin futures played in the crash / buying opportunity, but it seems unlikely that the launch of Bitcoin futures just before the "dip" was a coincidence.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Bitcoin is dead. Ripple to the moon! Big Grin