SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Roy Halladay Dies in Plane Crash in Gulf of Mexico
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roy Halladay Dies in Plane Crash in Gulf of Mexico Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
It looks more like a recreational cocktail, RAMIUS. The Ambien, it seems he took the night before. Maybe, a weird lose-weight program. Bamadex to suppress appetite, morphine to level-off?

"Halladay, 40, had amphetamines, morphine and traces of drugs used to treat insomnia in his system at the time of his death on November 7.

His blood-alcohol content level was 0.01." Upper and downer.

What's interesting is this:

"Three mayday distress signals were received by Air Traffic Controllers before the aircraft went down."

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Ok, a lot of baseball pros take Adderall...with all that Adderall, he can't sleep, so he takes Ambien (Zolipedim).

Why the morphine?

Yeah, but he was retired. Since 2013.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok, a lot of baseball pros take Adderall...with all that Adderall, he can't sleep, so he takes Ambien (Zolipedim).

Why the morphine?

Because he's a drug addict!!!!!!!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

Why the morphine?

Because he's a drug addict!!!!!!!

Question asked, question answered.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
How's he a drug addict?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJexp:
quote:

Why the morphine?

Yeah, but he was retired. Since 2013.

So...because he retired, he cant take medications he was prescribed?

You guys aren't making sense.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I wonder if they were still prescribed?

Regardless, I wonder if those meds were listed on his aviation medical... assuming a sport pilot actually has to take a medical...

Probably didn't do much for a pilot whose ego was writing checks his body / plane couldn't cash, but we'll see.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Regardless, I wonder if those meds were listed on his aviation medical... assuming a sport pilot actually has to take a medical...

Probably didn't do much for a pilot whose ego was writing checks his body / plane couldn't cash, but we'll see.

Ambien is commonly prescribed. Hell I take it.

Adderall is commonly prescribed. I used to take it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Morphine? I think that's the one the raises eyebrows. Not sure how many pilots are flying on morphine, much less all 3.

posted Hide Post
Then again I see LSA 'pilots' don't even need a medical...

But then again, ADD and piloting don't really mix, at least IMO.

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Morphine? I think that's the one the raises eyebrows. Not sure how many pilots are flying on morphine, much less all 3.

He took ambien the night before.

You're supposed to take Adderall in the morning. I'm sure plenty of pilots are prescribed these things, as are millions of Americans.

The morphine is the question. Was he taking prescribed pain pills that that show up as morphine in a blood test? Who knows.

I think the drugs in his system are a non-issue. He's guilty of flying like an idiot and dying.

posted Hide Post
quote:
You're supposed to take Adderall in the morning. I'm sure plenty of pilots are prescribed these things, as are millions of Americans.

Not really pilots.

Nearly impossible to get a aviation medical certificate with ADHD / ADD.

Regardless, apparently not DQ for an LSA pilot, since they only need a drivers license.

Again, ADD / ADHD doesn't mix with a task that requires intensive concentration in a limited time, like aviation.

And still, the morphine. Painkiller abuse is on the rise, hence the belief that he might have been abusing them.

posted Hide Post
"Some of the medications that individuals take for ADHD are Adderall, Concerta, Ritalin, Strattera, Vyvanse, and Dexedrine. Take note: These medications are either amphetamine-based or methylphenidate-based stimulants. The FAA does not accept the use of any of these medications.

So potential airmen who have received this diagnosis or are taking one of the medications need to demonstrate whether they have the condition; if they do, then they will be denied medical certification."

https://pilot-protection-servi...ok-at-this-condition

Again, not pertinent to LSA Pilots at this time, but maybe it should be.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
AVWeb is reporting this morning...

Former Major League pitcher Roy Halladay had three drugs in his system when his Icon A5 crashed off the coast of Florida in November. The retired ballplayer had trace amounts of morphine and amphetamine along with an intoxicating level of the sedative zolpidem, commonly known as Ambien, in his bloodstream according to an autopsy report obtained by TMZ. More than 50 nanograms per milliliter of zolpidem is considered by the FDA to be “capable of impairing driving to a degree that increases the risk of a motor vehicle accident” and Halladay’s level was 72 nanograms. Cause of death was multiple blunt force trauma and drowning.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53181 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yeah, we have no problem in this country with over prescribing drugs, no problem with taking multiple prescriptions either. Cautionary tale.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5908 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
FAR 91.17(a)(3)
No person may act or attempt to act as a crewmember of a civil aircraft while using any drug that affects the person's faculties in any way contrary to safety.

Pretty cut an dried when weighing the IM SAFE mental checklist. For those of you not familiar:

I Illness: Do I have an illness or any symptoms of an illness?
M Medication: Have I been taking prescription or over-the-counter drugs?

S Stress: Am I under psychological pressure from the job? Worried about financial matters, health problems or family discord?
A Alcohol: Have I been drinking within eight hours? Within 24 hours?
F Fatigue: Am I tired and not adequately rested?
E Eating: Am I adequately nourished?

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
yep

nailed that one - clear as day

he was the architect of his own demise and took a perfectly good airplane with him

what a waste of a plane

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53181 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flying a plane in a manner exceeding his skill levels while impaired by drugs.

End result is not at all surprising.

I'm sure Icon will be secretly happy that he was on drugs, they can point to that as the cause for his death, not their airplane system of putting unskilled people in airplanes that can easily exceed their skill level.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Flying a plane in a manner exceeding his skill levels ... <snip> ... unskilled people in airplanes that can easily exceed their skill level.
This is all to common. It's how the Bonanza acquired the reputation of being a "fork-tailed doctor killer." People with enough money to buy the airplane and enough arrogance to think that they don't need type-specific training.

Heck, I even saw it in the Navy. Back in the late 1950s, I was in a missile squadron. We had a mix of airplanes, but more FJ Furys (Navy version of the F-86 Sabre) than anything else. There were a couple of pilots in our squadron who were actually afraid of these. One incident, nobody hurt, good for a laugh: the timid pilot landed a bit long and hot (fast) on a rainy runway, did not use aggressive braking, overran the runway, went through the cyclone fence, made a left turn onto the highway, left the highway and came to a stop in a muddy farm field.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very sad situation.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 813 | Location: Tuscaloosa, AL | Registered: May 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post