SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    British Parliament overwhelmingly rejects Brexit deal with the European Union
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

British Parliament overwhelmingly rejects Brexit deal with the European Union Login/Join 
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
This is fantastic and a long time coming! I haven't been following the details as closely as I should have, but does this finally mean that the UK can control the mass influx of migrants?

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 986 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
I'm excited for our cousins across the ocean blue. Let freedom ring!

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Farage is more reflective in this video

Posts: 107590 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
Well, I've already bought my replacement car license plates WITHOUT that freakin' halo of stars denoting membership of the EU.

Congratulations, tac, and to your countrymen (and women).

I would like to heartily second this. Enjoy the victory!

So wouold I.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Farage is more reflective in this video

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="408" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9OE7KBRqZ6Y" width="725"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Farage is A very funny (good humored) fellow!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't mind hoisting a pint with him....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Video of the UK's Union Flag being removed at Brussels:

This may be the greatest video in internet in history:

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Video of the UK's Union Flag being removed at Brussels

28 EU member flags on the wall
28 EU member flags
You take the UK's down
And pass it around
27 EU member flags on the wall

27 EU member flags
You take...

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
London counted down to official Brexit

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Saw a bit of the classic British stiff upper lip there starting at about 4:05 in the video Para linked. The man is proud of his accomplishment, but he knows a chapter of his life is closing. "Right! Continue!"

Well done, Britain!

Posts: 17127 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
was watching that and it struck me that the closest thing that I can think of as an analogy is that tonight was Britain's 1776 but they did it without firing a shot

good for them

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53180 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
More reminiscent of the Berlin Wall coming down. Congrats to our closest allies!

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
CONGRATULATIONS to our UK cousins!!!

A Brit buddy, retired now but was up there in their government, told me that our two nations were closer allies than even the US and Canada.

Because of that, I’m ECSTATIC that our closest ally is now free from the evil clutches of the EU. At first thought upon hearing about Brexit, I instantly thought we had no skin in the game, but it all became clearer once the gears started turning.

I lift my pint! Hear! Hear!

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1173 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
Appropriately, the Sony Channel had last year's "Brexit: The Uncivil War" by British Channel 4 on last night. I like this kind of "campaign" movies, and the best of them like "Miss Sloane" are really about people and tradecraft rather than the respective political issues, which are ultimately exchangeable. This one focuses on Dominic Cummings, the mastermind behind the "Vote Leave" campaign, and his data-driven approach that's brilliantly juxtaposed with the conventional methods of the remain camp (and, to paraphrase him, the wankers who tried to get the UK out for the previous 40 years).

He's now a special advisor to Prime Minister Boris Johnson; I became an instant fan when he announced to hire "assorted weirdos" on his blog recently. Played in the movie by Benedict Cumberbatch, who as usually shines in the role of the mad genius. I can't think of higher praise than this:

quote:
Benedict Cumberbatch on playing my husband, Dominic Cummings

When Channel 4 released the trailer for its new Brexit drama, Mary Wakefield was struck by how good the performances were

Mary Wakefield

Imagine looking at a photo of a stranger and feeling in response, quite naturally, the sort of happy affection you might feel towards a spouse. Well, it’s weird. In July this year, when Benedict Cumberbatch was filming Channel 4’s upcoming Brexit film (Brexit: The Uncivil War) a friend sent me some photos by text message, tabloid snaps from the set. Benedict plays my husband Dominic Cummings, director of the Leave campaign, and the shots were long-lens and hazy: Ben/Dom pushing his son on a swing; Ben/Dom kissing his wife.

The real son-of-Dom and I were halfway through our Rice Krispies when the photos came through and I remember how taken aback I was. It’s not that they look alike. ‘We have different shaped heads,’ Cumberbatch tells me later. ‘Dom’s taller than me, I think, and he’s got a more prominent jaw. A bit of an underbite.’

But the stance, the set of the head and hands, the posture, were all perfect. ‘Who’s that?’ I said to my two-year-old, handing him the phone. He looked back at me as if I were mad: ‘Dada. That’s Dada, Mum.’

I haven’t seen the movie yet. I expect there’ll be a great fuss over details of the plot. There are those whose sanity depends on thinking Russians and robots fixed the referendum and that Dom’s intrinsically evil. I’ll be thinking: how can one man simply transform into another? Why and how can humans do this? And: I just never expected this after Benedict came round for dinner.

[...]

It was a hell of a thing watching Benedict Cumberbatch prepare to play my husband. He sat down opposite Dom at about 8.30 p.m. that summer evening in what I imagine is a very Cumberbatchian pose: legs folded beneath him, alert, leaning forward, head up. ‘Just water please, I don’t really drink.’ By 10.30 he was leaning back, just like Dom, glass of red in hand. By 1 a.m. he was a mirror image of his subject. It was a Rorschach blot of a scene. Both men reclining, each with an arm behind their head.

‘I noticed the way Dom holds his hand over his head,’ Cumberbatch says. ‘The way he strokes his head a lot. And he rests the crook of his elbow at the top of his skull. He opines strongly, but he listens deeply too. What else? That soft “R”. I don’t know if it’s Durham or something specific to Dom. He’s got a different shape jaw to me, so the accent wasn’t easy.’

So your actual mouth shape affects the accent? ‘It absolutely does, yes. It would be very hard for me to maintain that accent without some sort of surgery, and I don’t think I’d go that far!’ He laughs.

When I left them there in the kitchen in the early hours of the morning, Cumberbatch was genuinely trying to understand Dom’s view of Brexit. How do you begin to get into a character with very different ideas to your own? ‘To start with you lean in — you have a natural empathy, I think. I am not saying this just for you, but for me I feel a natural empathy towards the character I played and I liked the idea of trying to inhabit part of their lives, intellectually and also physically as well. I enjoy that process of transformation and chipping away from myself into a person’s outlook.’

[...]

The morning after our night with Benedict Cumberbatch, Dom said he’d had great fun talking to his alter ego. However the film turned out, he said he didn’t know many MPs who were as well-informed and pleasant.

When I spoke to Cumberbatch last week, we didn’t talk about the rights and wrongs of Brexit. I’m tired to my bones of the EU row. It’s like a pointless game of cards: you play your picture of a co-operative, civilised EU; I play my picture of a dystopian future. You play your picture of an angry racist Leaver; I play mine of a corrupt MEP claiming expenses no one ever checks.

But it seems to me a beacon of hope that someone who believes in the EU is willing to inhabit the skin of someone who doesn’t. That’s sort of what we all need to do right now, isn’t it? I ask Cumberbatch.

‘Well possibly,’ he says. ‘I am very wary of coming across as being wordy or preachy, but it’s really about listening to each other, all of us. And to inhabit someone else’s point of view is part of the way of going towards that.’

https://www.spectator.co.uk/20...nd-dominic-cummings/

Posts: 2416 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Yes!!!

Lets hope we see see more and more anti-globalist victories for years to come.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Video of the UK's Union Flag being removed at Brussels

28 EU member flags on the wall
28 EU member flags
You take the UK's down
And pass it around

27 EU member flags
You take...

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I see the sun rose this morning and pictures of English people in London. Surprising any were still alive given the breathless anti-Brexit news coverage and dire warnings of the world ending if England left the EU!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
A revolution of independence without a war.

Margaret Thatcher vindicated—No!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I admittedly don't know much about the politics of Brexit, but know enough that Great Britain leaving the EU is a GOOD thing. Congratulations to my fellow Patriots across the pond!!

Big Grin

ETA: Mrs. Thatcher was an AMAZING woman!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I celebrated today the only way I could.

I changed out the EU member license plates on my cars to patterns WITHOUT the little halo of stars on the left-hand edge.

NOW I have proper plates with the AMG on one set and the Porsche Club GB badge on the other.

Now I have to change my UK passport. The other two that I hold don't need changing. Smile

Posts: 11323 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I admittedly don't know much about the politics of Brexit, but know enough that Great Britain leaving the EU is a GOOD thing. Congratulations to my fellow Patriots across the pond!!

Is Matt LeBlanc celebrating Brexit?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post