SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mississippi police shoot, kill man while serving warrant at wrong house
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Mississippi police shoot, kill man while serving warrant at wrong house Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
Chongo,

Am I to understand that regardless of what the majority of us here think, it is perfectly okay for LEO to go to whichever address they feel like to serve an arrest warrant, regardless of whether it is the address for the person listed on the warrant? Seems like this situation could be used as a back door way to game the system by the police!

Here's an example: Goonbury Police Department has a warrant to arrest Joe Don Dufus. Instead of going to his house though, they'd "accidentally" go after a "gun owner" that lives close by. They know there will be guns present in the home, so they've already got justification for shooting the guy dead in the middle of the night, regardless of whether he had it on him or not. The word of a police officer would be the only required evidence in your book. Seems like something out of a bad movie about a 3rd world country.

Come on man. There is so much corruption in towns all across America, this isn't outside the realm of possibility.

Exactly how do you infer that gobbledygook from anything I've posted, in this thread or otherwise?

I'll try.

You responded to me that addresses on arrest warrants are so bad, so unreliable, that it's natural for police to be walking up to doors pretty much anywhere and everywhere near the 'listed' address on the warrant.

His take seems to be, once you accept that as normal, that the listed address on the address warrant really means 'oh somewhere in the neighborhood is OK' that that gives malicious officers cover to wander around and get up to no good, under the guise of serving a warrant.

I'll add, that does seem to be a bit much.

There are much easier was to create a BS reason to be somewhere. If you are trying to serve a warrant at a specific location, there is a reason. You'd have to be able to explain it.

If they are going to lie about that, it be much easier to just use a burner phone and call in a false 911 call.

You could What If all day long for ways cops can be dirty, but that's just silly.

As far as people banging on your door at 11:30pm, simple. Don't answer the door. Call 911. If they come in, be prepared to defend yourself.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Report This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

There are much easier was to create a BS reason to be somewhere. If you are trying to serve a warrant at a specific location, there is a reason. You'd have to be able to explain it.

You could What If all day long for ways cops can be dirty, but that's just silly.

As far as people banging on your door at 11:30pm, simple. Don't answer the door. Call 911. If they come in, be prepared to defend yourself.

Never came across a corrupt politician or LEO before? Thinking that someone couldn't have concocted a story to cover their ass just for ass covering sake? You could absolutely go mad playing "what if" all day, but "what if" what the police said happened, really didn't happen? What if it happened exactly as they said it did? All I know is that the police had no reasonable excuse to be at this guys home at 11:50 PM!

As for not answering the door...SO MANY ISSUES WITH THAT STATEMENT, IT'S TRULY NOT WORTH RESPONDING TO, but here goes:
This is the United States of America. I am allowed to answer my door without worrying that I am going to be shot in the head by a police officer, that shit went out of fashion some time around 1776 here in the US. Didn't really seem to matter for this guy regardless, he was shot THROUGH the door!

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Report This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
Can't imagine it's much different now. I back everything Chongo said. When I was doing this, we had pictures of the house from several angles, knew what cars were usually there, and sometimes, even who to expect to be there. Serving an arrest warrant is not a no-knock search warrant, SRT kind of an event usually. The officers blew it, all right, with their choice of houses, but is there anyone here who wouldnt shoot back if somebody was pointing a weapon at them?

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Report This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:....The officers blew it, all right, with their choice of houses, but is there anyone here who wouldnt shoot back if somebody was pointing a weapon at them?

So it is acceptable for policeman at the wrong house to kill innocent people, merely collateral damage?

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Report This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I think both parties reacted understandably but if the police are at the wrong address, they should be held accountable.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Report This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I think both parties reacted understandably but if the police are at the wrong address, they should be held accountable.

Seems both reasonable and uncomplicated.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Wow, cool to see that now we're on fake cops, corrupt cops, blah, blah, blah.

Seriously? Just when you thought this was going to die off, until the next time a half baked article with no facts comes out.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Report This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Don't you understand?

The cop woke up and his wife was nagging him so he decided right then that he was going to shoot someone that day! When he got the call to pick up this guy on an arrest warrant he knew it was the perfect opportunity to start banging on doors in the area hoping someone would release a dog and point a gun at him so he could shoot someone. Happens all the time! Roll Eyes

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Report This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Seriously? Just when you thought this was going to die off, until the next time a half baked article with no facts comes out.

I didn't see any recent posts re fake cops. But it seems some facts did come out. The cops were at the wrong address to serve an warrant, felt a threat, and killed someone.

To me there does seem to be a pattern on this forum. First, always assume a good shoot unless and until proven otherwise (ie, the officer gets the benefit of the doubt, the dead person doesn't). If it turns out a cop did kill an innocent person, the officer claims he was scared and was therefore justified in the shoot.

I guess for the past 40 years I have had multiple friends/neighbors who were policemen, and close relatives who are/have been district attorneys, litigation attorneys, a few judges. All in all, in that 40 years, it seems to me most policemen I know personally, or know second hand from experiences of relatives in that arena, see themselves as above the law.

Curious, you use the phrase "Just when you thought this was going to die off . . .". So even if the now dead person was innocent, it happened more than two weeks ago, therefore, it is no longer important, as if there is some statue of limitations on the matter?

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Report This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Post on Page 7 addresses fake cops. Corruption is on this page.

There is no new actual factual information that has been presented, but but beating the dead horse and double standards continue. Now, we've moved on to fake cops, corruption, blah, blah, blah to fill that void of lack of actual information.

Never let a good crisis go to waste, I suppose.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Report This Post