SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I walked away from an illegal gun sale today.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I walked away from an illegal gun sale today. Login/Join 
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I'm just not gonna mess with anything that feels shady. I've done plenty of parking lot gun deals and never felt any of the other parties were shady at all. I have a clear conscience about all previous deals. This one, however, had red flags as soon as the guy pulled into the parking lot. Didn't take me five seconds to know I was gonna walk. FWIW, I'm pretty sure my gut is more accurate than any NICS check. Maybe the FBI will outsource the work to me.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Good job, Rick. This story has a ton of red flags. The only thing missing was the dude telling you he is also a convicted felon.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
I'm pretty sure my gut is more accurate than any NICS check.

+1000 It's your butt on the line so go with your instincts.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
We as gun owners have a duty to see, to the best of our ability, that our guns pass on to responsible people. And the FL guy was more than willing to break the law. Yep, trust the red flag system.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16696 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Another guy is emailing me about it now. He asked if I need a bill of sale. I said just need to see AZ ID. Will see how this one goes.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
quote:
I told him I could meet after 8pm, got home, texted him when and where I could meet. Radio silence.

quote:
Today he texted me that he had dozed off, still wanted it. I said same place in 30 min. No reply for an hour.

Nice job on walking away. Honestly, I would have called it off the first time he didn't reply when you had planned to meet after 8pm. I hate getting jacked around by buyers or sellers. Unless I know the person, I have zero tolerance for this type of behavior.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
quote:
I'm pretty sure my gut is more accurate than any NICS check.

+1000 It's your butt on the line so go with your instincts.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I posted a couple of things on Armslist. Quite a few of the responses were shady.
No more Armslist for me.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I sold it this morning. The guy showed me an AZ DL and he matched the photo. We texted through iMessage, so I know it's a real iPhone and not a burner, got his email and I wrote his AZ plate # down. I think this one was fine.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I would have walked away right about here:
quote:
He said he was picking it up for his brother

Why complicate things any further?
Exactly. Aren't "straw sales" always illegal? Bona fide gifts are OK, of course. (At least in "free" states. . . .)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by southernmaninla:
Under Fed law it is illegal to private transfer a firearm including handguns, rifles and shotguns to a person that resides in another state this includes family.

Edited to add most states also have laws against it.

It's stupid but it's the law.

ATF FAQ link https://www.google.com/url?q=h...imMOLBP_2_KlitaKF0V1
Yep, that's the law, however, I will always treat the bolded section above as open to my personal discretion.

I've sold a number of guns FTF to non-family members, and for that transaction to happen, the buyer must....

1 - Provide me with a Florida DL
2 - Provide me with a Florida CCL
3 - Sign a Bill of Sale detailing the aforementioned info.

That bill of sale is filed in my safe should I ever need to substantiate where that gun went.

You made an excellent decision opting to walk away from that deal given all the red flags.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
The most alarming thing in this post is that you were selling a beater Glock 23 for $500 Eek

First thing I thought.

I'm pretty sure that's against Federal law too.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Florida Man strikes again!

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
These days, if selling or trading a hand gun with a person unknown to me, I want them to have a carry permit from my state and we do a bill of sale. I once sold a revolver that was later used in a crime(spousal abuse), so I'm much more fussy in this kind of transaction.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The law is that you can't knowingly sell to an out of stater. You don't have to affirmatively check to make sure he is a resident of the state. But once he had out of state plates, you might be charged with knowing he isn't from your state. You did the right thing.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I posted a couple of things on Armslist. Quite a few of the responses were shady.
No more Armslist for me.
Ah yoop, I was wondering if I was alone with reservations about that site. It does not seem as secure as buying or selling on others. One such, too good to be true deal I had inquired about on there turned out to be a scam and the site emailed me the sellers gun ad was flagged scam. I dont trust sellers on that site.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
The law is that you can't knowingly sell to an out of stater. You don't have to affirmatively check to make sure he is a resident of the state. But once he had out of state plates, you might be charged with knowing he isn't from your state. You did the right thing.

27 C.F.R. §478.30 says "knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in" "the State in which the transferor resides".

Posts: 10942 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've always been Crazy!
kept me from goin Insane!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Under Fed law it is illegal to private transfer a firearm including handguns, rifles and shotguns to a person that resides in another state this includes family.

Edited to add most states also have laws against it.

It's stupid but it's the law.

ATF FAQ link https://www.google.com/url?q=h...imMOLBP_2_KlitaKF0V1
Yep, that's the law, however, I will always treat the bolded section above as open to my personal discretion.

I've sold a number of guns FTF to non-family members, and for that transaction to happen, the buyer must....

1 - Provide me with a Florida DL
2 - Provide me with a Florida CCL
3 - Sign a Bill of Sale detailing the aforementioned info.

That bill of sale is filed in my safe should I ever need to substantiate where that gun went.

You made an excellent decision opting to walk away from that deal given all the red flags.

Personal discretion? Under the law it is a felony to give your child any firearm (except antiques) if they reside in another state. I don't agree with it, but that is the law. They only way, that I know of, a firearm can legally cross state lines without a background check is thru death in a will.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.
Author unknown

Posts: 2180 | Location: Lyndon,KS | Registered: November 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Personal discretion? Under the law it is a felony to give your child any firearm (except antiques) if they reside in another state. I don't agree with it, but that is the law. They only way, that I know of, a firearm can legally cross state lines without a background check is thru death in a will.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Bigdeal is fully aware of that. And I agree with his position completely.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of local P.D.'s (I work for one in Florida) setting up stings for this kind of thing, maybe ATF?

Posts: 139 | Registered: February 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post