SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Home made glass faced revolver presentation case.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home made glass faced revolver presentation case. Login/Join 
Picture of bripro
posted
I made this for my father-in-law on Christmas Eve. The side where the miters aren’t as tight comes off so he can get his beloved Virginian Dragoon 357 out if he ever actually plans to shoot it. The gun has seen plenty of action but I don’t think he’s put a round down range through it in at least three years. Once I get my hands on six lead bullets I’ll swap them out with the ones I have in it now and tighten the side up a bit.
It was a pretty straight forward build, 3/4” oak sides channeled out for both the 1/4” base and glass. The inch and a half foam was cut with an exacto knife after I traced the gun.
He loves it and it should look great on his trophy case.
Thanks for looking and any comments or feedback, good or bad, are always welcome.

DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Posts: 155 | Location: United States | Registered: May 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2334 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have six lead .38 caliber RNFP bullets if you want them.
They look like this: https://www.summersenterprises...s-p/38-158gr-750.htm

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bripro
posted Hide Post
^That’s very kind of you to bring that up but I’m sure I’ll be able to find what I’m looking for locally without too much trouble.

DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Posts: 155 | Location: United States | Registered: May 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I have the same gun, only it's in 45 LC.

I haven't shot it much in the last few years, but it is a looker for sure.

Good job on the case. I'm envious.

Jim

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jimbo54,

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bripro
posted Hide Post
Are these dragoons considered to be a step up or a step down from Ruger Blackhawk?
I really don’t know too much about the firearm.

DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bripro:
Are these dragoons considered to be a step up or a step down from Ruger Blackhawk?

I'd say neither. They are a niche market gun based on the Colt Single Action Army. They were more affordable than the Colts and are robust in their build but were introduced at a time when interest in single action revolvers was waning so sales were a disappointment.

Where Ruger Blackhawks are concerned, they are considered to be the epitome for strength and functionality in single action revolvers. I've owned several in various calibers and they can be loaded with very high pressure loads without any problem. The Dragoon, not so much.

I bought mine for the looks as much as anything else but rarely carried it in the woods, unlike my Rugers.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Freedom Arms and Seville single-actions are also very robust, perhaps even more than the Rugers. The FA ones are very expensive and the Seville/El Dorado ones are hard to find.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Freedom Arms and Seville single-actions are also very robust, perhaps even more than the Rugers. The FA ones are very expensive and the Seville/El Dorado ones are hard to find.

flashguy

I always thought it would be cool to own a Freedom Arms in 454 Casull but talked myself out of it. My hands thanked me. Big Grin

Jim

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It is a handsome piece of work. I might prefer a little more space on the sides - the gun is fairly close to the edges.

Lovely execution.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
It is a handsome piece of work. I might prefer a little more space on the sides - the gun is fairly close to the edges.

Lovely execution.

I agree, a very nice presentation. The only thing I would add would be an engraved gold plate with a description of the gun.

Jim

posted Hide Post
What’s the wood finish? I like the choice of wood color.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
As a fellow woodworker, you did a great job!! He will love it. Very nice work...

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bripro:

They are really more similar to the original Colt revolvers. Rugers have a different action (coil springs rather than leaf springs). Blackhawks have adjustable sites. It just depends on what you like.

Oh and great work on the case. Very sharp!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bripro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
What’s the wood finish? I like the choice of wood color.

Thank you, it’s just gloss urethane over red oak.

DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
You did a spectacular job.

I’d be glad to habdload some inert display rounds for you and drop them in the mail.

Posts: 1620 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I envy anyone with woodworking skills like yours. I’m a measure 3 times, cut with chainsaw guy. I reload .357 with lead bullets, but it sounds like you have it covered with a couple of offers here already.

The LGS has a couple of Uberti’s in .45 Colt that I’ve been drooling over for some time hoping he would sell them to someone else. I have a Blackhawk in .357 and am familiar with the stoutness of them, but what about the Uberti’s?

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post