SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 473
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
All that and a
bag of dicks
posted Hide Post
how about $5 million for a Hublot

Posts: 207 | Location: Miami, Florida | Registered: February 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky: ...I have, however, figured out what it is that drives me nuts about it -- it's an automatic. If I wear it all day every day, then all is well. Today, however, it bit me. ...I love the watch, but now I see why my grandfather grouched so much about his Waltham. Wink This, like his Waltham, will be my last automatic.

You know, with the exception of the Seiko 5, most automatic watches can also be wound with the stem; doing so just before retiring for the night is a good habit. The main reason for the automatic mechanism is to keep a fairly steady wind on the mainspring to aid isochronism. A manual-wind watch would have the same issue -- only more so (unless you meant this would be your last spring-powered, non-electric watch).

If winding it periodically is too much of a problem, you could always store it on a watch winder:

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Paradiso
posted Hide Post

Same Omega daily for over a year now

Posts: 473 | Registered: October 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
You know, with the exception of the Seiko 5, most automatic watches can also be wound with the stem;

Wow. Thank you for that! I had considered a Seiko 5 recently. I had no idea it can't be stem-wound.

Hey, Matthew: I've been wearing the Hamilton for about three solid weeks now (aside from going back to Old Trusty Seiko Quartz for a beach trip) and I have realized (again) how much I like this watch. Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
You know, with the exception of the Seiko 5, most automatic watches can also be wound with the stem;

Wow. Thank you for that! I had considered a Seiko 5 recently. I had no idea it can't be stem-wound.

Neither did I, until I found out the hard way during my last quarter of watchmaker's school (a two year (eight quarter) WOSTEP program) when I was given one to look at by someone who told me it wouldn't wind "any more." So of course I assumed that at one time it did wind, and that something had changed from original. So I spent the better part of an hour taking the thing apart and then trying to figure out where the heck the yoke, yoke spring, sliding pinion, and winding pinion were hiding on the crazy thing.

To this day I have no idea what the designers at Seiko were thinking, unless it was either that buyers would only own one watch and wear it continuously, or that Seiko was also going to sell watch winders by the truck-load.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky: ...I have, however, figured out what it is that drives me nuts about it -- it's an automatic. If I wear it all day every day, then all is well. Today, however, it bit me. ...I love the watch, but now I see why my grandfather grouched so much about his Waltham. Wink This, like his Waltham, will be my last automatic.

You know, with the exception of the Seiko 5, most automatic watches can also be wound with the stem; doing so just before retiring for the night is a good habit. The main reason for the automatic mechanism is to keep a fairly steady wind on the mainspring to aid isochronism. A manual-wind watch would have the same issue -- only more so (unless you meant this would be your last spring-powered, non-electric watch).

If winding it periodically is too much of a problem, you could always store it on a watch winder:

what does this winder do, swing from side to side or front to back or something else?

Posts: 2213 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba: what does this winder do, swing from side to side or front to back or something else?

I just grabbed that image off the Internet, and I don't know about the model shown specifically. Some winders just rotate in one direction, while others rotate back and forth. Both types keep the mainspring would via the automatic watch's self-winding mechanism, which is a pendulum that turns the main-spring barrel via a gear train.

The are also winders that are used in precision timing that, in addition to the rotation in the winding axis, twist the watch into various positions -- dial up, dial down, crown up, crown down, crown left, crown right, etc. -- in order to allow the watch to run without undue affects of gravity influencing the rate, but those are outside the norm for the home user.

Here's an example of the former:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heR1ZUV2T1Y

and here's one of the latter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoeGnGszymc#t=12

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BrianO,

posted Hide Post
thank you

Posts: 2213 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Hey, Matthew: I've been wearing the Hamilton for about three solid weeks now (aside from going back to Old Trusty Seiko Quartz for a beach trip) and I have realized (again) how much I like this watch. Big Grin

There are Seiko 5 models that come with the 4r36 movement that can be hand wound and hack set. I have two with this movement and depending on how I lay them at night are within ten seconds a week.

Posts: 106 | Location: Huntsville AL | Registered: August 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
Picked up a Pebble in trade a week ago. I was liking it but it wasn't too comfortable. I added a 5-ring Zulu and now it's great. Loaded a Star Trek inspired face. Lightweight, a little geeky, and looks pretty dang cool.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Cross post , didn't see this thread earlier...

Thanks to Jeff Yarchin's super generous panthers tickets karma, we were in Charlotte this weekend

The girls had to check out the new premium outlet mall that just opened last week

They have a Seiko store and had this Sportura Kinetic on sale for 210, the street price is usually 350-400. The salesman said take another 10% off for the stores grand opening

Cool, $189 plus tax !

Sorry, resized pic

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2917 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElKabong: ...They have a Seiko store and had this Sportura Kinetic...

Nice find! I've always found the Seiko Kenetics and other auto-quartz designs interesting for the way they combine mechanical elements and quartz elements.

posted Hide Post

Posts: 32 | Registered: June 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'm glad I talked you into keeping that one VT. Big Grin

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
New addition for me and a big thank you to our friend Dave Truong who helped me along in my decision last month. Thanks David. Came with factory bracelet, I just but the NATO on to mix things up a bit.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbit712:
quote:
Originally posted by Seotaji:
Gentlemen, I am in love.

I have not been a fan of their chunky watches, but this is so sleek and simple.

Very nice! I have not seen that one before.

Same thing I was thinking, very sleek and streamlined.

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Just ordered this one. Should be here Friday. (Borrowed picture, not my wrist)

Interested in your reactions.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Coldbore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1124 | Location: Pac NW | Registered: September 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coldbore:

Proof to the saying: "A man with a watch always knows what time it is. A man with two or more watches is never sure." ;-)

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig229-SAS:
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbit712:
quote:
Originally posted by Seotaji:
Gentlemen, I am in love.

I have not been a fan of their chunky watches, but this is so sleek and simple.

Very nice! I have not seen that one before.

Same thing I was thinking, very sleek and streamlined.

Too big I'd bet. And too expensive for what it is. Check out this:

http://www.steinhartwatches.de...vintage-GMT,339.html

Posts: 11389 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post