SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Both the JLC and VC are incredible complications. I find the engineering that goes into a mechanical watch with either no or only a single complication (date) quite impressive as well. Sure, an inexpensive quartz watch can be more durable and keep better time (love the G-Shocks I’ve had over the years). However, to me, the fascinating precision of a mechanical watch is hard to beat.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
My new Summer band for the 300M

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Z06,

Posts: 4022 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That is an amazing strap!! It looks REALLY GOOD! Going by my limited Tissot Seastar Professional auto Chronograph , I can confidently say this watch group makes incredible rubber steps. Enjoy!! Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I Laos have the black rubber strap for my Seamaster. Quite comfortable and pleasant to wear. That’s a great looking strap on a great looking watch, Z06.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
the Vacheron Constantin

I actually have some difficulty setting just the date on my watches so that it's correct month to month, let alone accommodate leap years properly.

This must be a nightmare to set up correctly for the exact day and time. One would hope it's automatic but can be set via atomic radio....

The genius of the mechanical engg behind this though - staggering.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here’s a question for all of you…

Does anyone make a chronograph that uses the small seconds hand as the chronograph and the big seconds hand stays the seconds hand?

If that watch exists, I would probably start saving for it immediately.

I don't know of any because if you want a chrono, you want a stopwatch and having the stopwatch hand be the big seconds makes sense for that use.

But there may be one - I certainly do not have exhaustive knowledge.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Jhe, I have never had the need for a stopwatch on my watch. I understand the reason one would want the big seconds hand for the stopwatch, but I despise a small seconds hand. I have this weird thing about seconds and the seconds hand.

I think a chronograph looks totally cool and I love the mechanics behind it. I’d love to have me, just with the stopwatch using the minuscule seconds hand and leave my time to the three proper hands. If I find one, unless it’s an Invicta, I’ll most likely buy it, or put it on the wish/dream list.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I have never had the need for a stopwatch on my watch. ...I despise a small seconds hand. I have this weird thing about seconds and the seconds hand.

One solution, if you don't need a stopwatch, is to just keep the large seconds hand running all the time as your sweep seconds hand. When you want to synchronize it to your reference clock, just activate the chrono function.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
^^ he is right. I often synchronize my small seconds hand with the large chrono second hand on my C60 Chronograph. If it’s powered with a Valjoux 77XX movement it’s not going to hurt it all to run the Chronograph function all day every day. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RE- Chronos.
As far as I know, the large second hand works only in the stopwatch function because it's easier to see. I cant think of any Chrono brands that the larger second hand always works. (then again, I know just enough about watches to get me into expensive trouble! Wink )

STICKMAN;
Hey, a question: I've always heard that you shouldn't run the stopwatch function constantly. I was told that it is too much of a strain on the gears. (then again, I know just enough about watches to get me into expensive trouble! Wink ) Or is dependent upon the movement?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8336 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
CPD SIG, It’s going to add a little more wear to the movement but I don’t think it’s a big enough deal to stop me from doing it. Christopher Ward guarantees their movements 100% for 60 months so that’s another reason I am not at all concerned with running my Chronograph for prolonged lengths of time. Smile

Some people report a negative impact on the watch accuracy and/or power reserve when you run the chrono for long periods of time but in my experience that has not happened.

I would venture to guess that frequent stopping, resetting and restarting the Chronograph could be more likely to lead to premature wear than letting the chrono run for a long time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428: I would venture to guess that frequent stopping, resetting and restarting the Chronograph could be more likely to lead to premature wear than letting the chrono run for a long time

That matches my experience as well.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I get that I can run the chronograph to make the large seconds hand sweep. It’s what I do with my MTG. I just don’t like it. I figured with all the watches out there, someone who makes one has to feel the same way I do.

On a mechanical watch it will cause more wear. The gears I’m not worried about, but a chronograph uses as much if not more of the stored energy in the mainspring than the actual time function. The drain on the power reserve, and the additional winding of the spring will cause it to wear faster. As the mainspring gets older, it will tend to lose accuracy (usually on the bottom end of the power reserve). I get the warranty part, as my watches carry between five and eight years on the movement, but I still don’t want it gone for a month for repairs.

I’ll keep looking and if I find one, I’ll let you know.

quote:
The “lol” thread

Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
I get the warranty part, as my watches carry between five and eight years on the movement, but I still don’t want it gone for a month for repairs.

RGM is currently 4-6 months. Wink

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker: As the mainspring gets older, it will tend to lose accuracy (usually on the bottom end of the power reserve).

It shouldn't. Isochronism is the ability of a properly poised movement to keep a constant rate regardless of amplitude. The function of the balance wheel is to act as a pendulum, and just as with a hanging pendulum, the period of the swings shouldn't change as the distance swung does.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
RE- Chronos.
As far as I know, the large second hand works only in the stopwatch function because it's easier to see. I cant think of any Chrono brands that the larger second hand always works. (then again, I know just enough about watches to get me into expensive trouble! Wink )

STICKMAN;
Hey, a question: I've always heard that you shouldn't run the stopwatch function constantly. I was told that it is too much of a strain on the gears. (then again, I know just enough about watches to get me into expensive trouble! Wink ) Or is dependent upon the movement?

The stopping and starting of the chrono is proabably what wears it out, not letting it run all the time, as several have said.

Again, chronos are intended to be watch and stopwatch combos. It makes total sense for the big seconds to be the stopwatch seconds so you can read it accurately.

Making the small seconds the stopwatch doesn't make sense. If you want that, then you really only want the chrono because it looks cool, and not because you want/need a stopwatch. Not many "serious" watchmakers will design a watch on that basis. They are going to put the stopwatch on the large seconds hand.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toxophilus84
posted Hide Post
Newest addition; running like a top Smile

the handle?... it's Latin for "Lover of the Bow".

Posts: 222 | Location: Earth, Colorado | Registered: March 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
This JDM Seiko has one of the best bezel insets they ever made.

Look how it’s color changes from full sun to low light. It works with this dial brilliantly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
toxophilus84, that’s a great looking Orient. I love the lume on that dial flieger style.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of toxophilus84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
toxophilus84, that’s a great looking Orient. I love the lume on that dial flieger style.

And I agree with everything about the SBDC077, it's one of my favorite green dial watches.

I finally gave mine a break from daily wear (since March 2021) for about a week, it's back on my right wrist because why not? Wink

the handle?... it's Latin for "Lover of the Bow".

Posts: 222 | Location: Earth, Colorado | Registered: March 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post