SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
jhe, wow! That Grand Seiko is gorgeous! That level of accuracy is incredible. I love
the dial and blue second hand.

I have a few quartz watches and I do like their accuracy but for some reason I find myself gravitating towards automatics.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
jhe, wow! That Grand Seiko is gorgeous! That level of accuracy is incredible.

The GS is indeed beautiful, but was beyond my price range. I opted for another Seiko in the HAQ line, a Japanese market Seiko Dolce, just a plain simple watch that keeps excellent time. In the first two years of ownership, it has gained only 1/2 second.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildheartedson0105:
Jhe, your Grand Seiko is something to behold! The detail of the hour markers, and the blue hand are striking.

Prior to following this thread, and learning about quality watches, I didn't even know they existed.

Certainly a grail watch for me after reading about them.

Grand Seikos are something else. They are finished much more finely than Rolex or the other high-end Swiss factory watches. They aren't decorated like Patek or Vacheron Constantine, but the level of finish is a cut above everyone else. (And Seiko's Credor line is the equivalent of Patek, if you want that.)

And, GS is less expensive than Rolex, by a good margin.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
That Grand Seiko is beautiful. When I went to Tokyo, Japan last year, I looked around for places that sells Seiko watches. I was in search for the limited edition Seiko Ninja Turtle (SBDY 005, SRPC 49). I stopped by several Seko places and came across one store in Tokyo that only sell Grand Seiko models. Beutiful watches. But they were above my price range. I surely would like to add at least one GS to my collection.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
jhe, wow! That Grand Seiko is gorgeous! That level of accuracy is incredible.

The GS is indeed beautiful, but was beyond my price range. I opted for another Seiko in the HAQ line, a Japanese market Seiko Dolce, just a plain simple watch that keeps excellent time. In the first two years of ownership, it has gained only 1/2 second.

Those Dolces are excellent, and great bargains for what you get. What movement do they have?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Texans
posted Hide Post
I have really enjoyed seeing all of the nice watches in this thread. Thought I would add a couple of shinny things.

Posts: 722 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Those Dolces are excellent, and great bargains for what you get. What movement do they have?

8J41

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speaks Bendablese
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
What do you guys like for spring bar tools?

The Bergeon 6767F is a nice compromise between quality and price. You should be able to find it for $20 shipped.

Posts: 286 | Location: MD | Registered: September 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by wildheartedson0105:
Jhe, your Grand Seiko is something to behold! The detail of the hour markers, and the blue hand are striking.

Prior to following this thread, and learning about quality watches, I didn't even know they existed.

Certainly a grail watch for me after reading about them.

Grand Seikos are something else. They are finished much more finely than Rolex or the other high-end Swiss factory watches. They aren't decorated like Patek or Vacheron Constantine, but the level of finish is a cut above everyone else. (And Seiko's Credor line is the equivalent of Patek, if you want that.)

And, GS is less expensive than Rolex, by a good margin.

My facination with the GS is after reading about their level of quality compared to other high end watches.

Of course, as ScreamingCockatoo posted a couple pages back, Seiko makes beautiful dials.

The Grand Seikos, IMO, have a wonderful balance of quality, detail, and reserved beauty, without unnecessary "bling".

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
a new watch followed me home yesterday. I was at Sam's picking up a prescription. Was actually looking at a Casio Solar, but then I met the Bulova Auto. Oddly, the model number is not on the Bulova website (96A224) but the movement across the 96A line seems to be consistent. Very happy with the size and cost. Very pleased:
20190227_192155 by redstone71, on Flickr
20190228_100246 by redstone71, on Flickr
20190228_101012 by redstone71, on Flickr

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3590 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Simple classy!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38674 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
This is basically the antithesis of jhe888’s stunning Seiko, a VERY well worn original 6309 the same vintage as me. It took me a little time to find an original example made the same year I was. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I'd love to have one the Seiko 7005-8030s like those issued to SOG troops in Vietnam, but those aren't cheap any more. They are rare, and often faked. Lord knows what one known to be actually issued to a SOG soldier would bring.

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428: ...It took me a little time to find an original example made the same year I was.

I'm saving up to by a watch from the year I was born...almost. I was actually two years old when this one came out:

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428: ...It took me a little time to find an original example made the same year I was.

I'm saving up to by a watch from the year I was born...almost. I was actually two years old when this one came out:

I have no photo of it, but my dad has an original from the '50s. His is gold. It runs, but it had to be slightly modified to take a modern battery. As I have said before, my grandmother worked for Hamilton watch, and Dad has a number of interesting watches. That is probably the coolest.

Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
BrianO, has a Star Trek feel to me, I know it is pre Star Trek. Does a great job of capturing the style of the time. Smile

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Laco Fleiger B-Uhr with a strap I've had for a few years. The strap maker was making straps (purportedly) from WWII bomber jackets. The OEM strap was thicker than I'd prefer, and due to the strap being 18mm, the rivets of the traditional fleiger strap crossed into the side stitching. Didn't really work for me.

Hadn't thought to use this one up until now, as it's a 19mm and the watch calls for an 18mm. But today I squeezed it into the lugs and it seems to work pretty well. I'm pleased. Bought me another few months of happy ownership -- keeping that "flipping bug" at bay.

Posts: 11382 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Laco Fleiger B-Uhr with a strap I've had for a few years. The strap maker was making straps (purportedly) from WWII bomber jackets. The OEM strap was thicker than I'd prefer, and due to the strap being 18mm, the rivets of the traditional fleiger strap crossed into the side stitching. Didn't really work for me.

Hadn't thought to use this one up until now, as it's a 19mm and the watch calls for an 18mm. But today I squeezed it into the lugs and it seems to work pretty well. I'm pleased. Bought me another few months of happy ownership -- keeping that "flipping bug" at bay.

Looks great!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I decided to get an Alpinist again. Big Grin

Normal lighting.

Under the sun.

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Whoa!!! That Alpinist has a beautiful dual! I can see why you got another one. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~