SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A long time ago
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A long time ago Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
July 84- 21 yrs old, practically married (26 yrs now), just got hired as a rodman on a survey crew. Stayed broke, but never went hungry. Those were simple times compared to now. Helped me grow up a lot.

Posts: 3580 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
1984, I requested and was granted a split tour to the precom unit for the USS Iowa BB61. Had some awsome fun times on that old battlewagon!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to grow up now
Picture of George85019
posted Hide Post
I would have been 31 in 1984, "ah but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now" Bob Dylan

NO SIGnature

Posts: 2050 | Location: London, OH | Registered: January 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of deankal
posted Hide Post
I'm late to the game here, but this thread really brought me some nostalgia. I was about halfway through college, and living the frat life large. I always tell my nieces and nephews how their generation missed out. This was the best years of my life; lotsa pretty girls, pre-aids, plentiful party materials, great music.

Now I'm old, boring, and pissed off about gun control.

Posts: 960 | Location: Northeast of Seattle in a Red Zip Code | Registered: May 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1984 - "I lost my virginity and fell in love." Was doing the Jersey Shore thing back in those days. As my friend said, regarding Obama's re-election, "The country, like ourselves, peaked in the 80's."

Posts: 131 | Registered: January 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stumbled across this late, I have hundreds of Kodachrome 64 slides I am going to have to convert to digital. Thanks for the great photo Para, MG

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great picture! Some guns are like records. They can make you remember special times and places.

Posts: 494 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
Fifty one years ago at TPI. I'm lower right with my personal 52B

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have #020406.

Posts: 1101 | Location: Toano, Va.  | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
34 years old and about 1/4 way through my career as a cop...and proud of it :-)

Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Posts: 18 | Registered: October 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
So much of what you see people doing today is so "artsy."
Seems so "self aware.

And as a result the ordinary things-- which are seen to be extraordinary when you photograph them-- are lost in the shuffle. In the earliest days of photography, the photograph itself was so extraordinary that they almost didn't care what they photographed. The photograph transformed it. So we have great photos of street scenes with blurred horses and dogs, families sitting in rows in front of their homes, that kind of thing.

And Para's shot: Kids with the new rifle, shooting along the railroad tracks. The 1/500 shutter speed catches the just-ejected shell.

The photo doesn't call attention to itself, like, say, and Edward Weston photograph of a pepper, so we look "past" any artsiness of the photo itself right through to the moment being photographed. Which all of us who love shooting identify with and appreciate. A hot, semi-boring summer afternoon brought to sudden life and excitement for a couple of kids by the new rifle. And just the spot to let fly some rounds.

Cool.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
This seems like so long ago. Frown

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vemon
posted Hide Post
20 years ago ..
State border of USSR.

http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/venom-72/view/1003778/

Posts: 545 | Location: Moscow,Russia | Registered: December 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great Pic, you must have a lot of good memories. I grew up on over crowded Long Island,NY. we went shootin' too ( on the low down)...back in the 70's we were taking our 22 rifles to school via the school bus and had rifle teams as part of JV & V sports. all good stuff.

Posts: 247 | Location: New York | Registered: January 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRBTX:
July 84- 21 yrs old, practically married (26 yrs now), just got hired as a rodman on a survey crew. Stayed broke, but never went hungry. Those were simple times compared to now. Helped me grow up a lot.

I was almost 21, (sept),

journeyman meat cutter,
full time college too,
binge drinking and party hardy on weekend nights, sweat it out (in a cold room) the next day!!

parents had split, so I kept a Sendra AR-15 and a SA M1A (034xxx)in the trunk of my Celica with an ammo can of ammo for each, (still have the rifles, converted to NFA before 5/86, wish I still had the celica)

saw a lot of good concerts that year as well,
(black flag, Dead Kennedys, Talking Heads, and Costello 2 nights back to back)
all slowed down, and that was a good thing the next year when I met my (now)wife

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1984 I spent a month in Kenya traveling around and trying not to get dysentery! Ate some really weird stuff, saw all kinds of wild game, traded trinkets with Masi Warriors, there was somewhere in the plains of Africa a Masi man wearing a Bronx Zoo t shirt and that was my fault. Had a great time brought back like 1000 pictures, I did get dysentery after all, snorkeled in the Indian Ocean and stood on the equator. Good times.

Ed

Posts: 195 | Location: NJ | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to live in Sulphur in 1966 and 1985.

GOD/Israel, family, 2nd amendment rights: in that order.
Tennessee -ELOHIM IS MY GOD!

Posts: 807 | Registered: May 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The box of slides is marked July 1984.

.....AND AMMO WAS ABOUT $3.00 A BOX, $5.00 FOR A BOX OF 50!!

Posts: 3 | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Circa 1980. My best friend and I getting ready to rabbit hunt with his great beagle, Blue. We both got our limit of 5 rabbits that day. I'm on the left.

P228 KD Date Code
P938 Scorpion

Posts: 48 | Location: Bloomington, Indiana | Registered: January 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
In 1984 I was 14...

Still lived in Tampa and one year away from moving to the mountains in NC...wow that was a change!

I remember spending the summers at my pop-pops and shooting his Remington 22 at everything...good times

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post