SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A long time ago
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A long time ago Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
This is one awesome nostalgic thread. In July 1984 I was in boot camp at MCRD San Diego enjoying the pleasures of Marine Corps Drill Instructors. Back then they were still getting away with laying hands on you, if you know what I mean. It was outlawed in 1979, but with the Corps, traditions are hard to break. Besides, in the 80's discipline was still respected.
As for photography, I still have a Minolta SLR I purchased in Singapore while on a Westpack tour for 8 months in 1986.
Gosh sorry to ramble on guys. For me, the 80's was the best decade for me!

Cheers to all!

Posts: 101 | Location: NE Florida | Registered: June 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of paddling_man
posted Hide Post
I was 15, working my little butt off (I thought) to buy my first car - a $750 '76 Buick Regal. My "arsenal" included a 1916 Ovieda 7mm Mauser and a Marlin 60.

Compact discs were an alien concept.

Posts: 111 | Location: Indianapolis | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DocMaker
posted Hide Post
1984... That was the summer I lost my virginity.

USPSA/NROI(1)
CJTC Handgun/Patrol Rifle Instructor

President Dwight D. Eisenhower, November 8, 1954:
"Only Americans can hurt America."
P.J. O'Rourke:
"This country was founded by religious nuts with guns."

Posts: 39 | Location: Shelton, WA | Registered: August 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by guardianangel762:
1984...I spent most of 84 at John Hay elementry in Mrs. Clarks kindergarden class.

In 1984, I was on my second enlistment in the Marines, and on what I thought was my last trip to Beirut, Lebanon. As it turned out it was not. Nice pic.

Garfield411
Marine Corps
CH-53D and UH-1N
Crewchief

Posts: 5 | Location: Kiln, Misisisippi | Registered: September 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uxb
posted Hide Post

San Miguel, El Salvador.

Posts: 6303 | Location: Castle Anthrax | Registered: December 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VERY cool photo!!! Love it! Would be so cool if the gun comes back to you some day.

Posts: 338 | Registered: August 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Eyes and ears in 1984?????

Posts: 126 | Registered: January 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ishootsometimes:
Eyes and ears in 1984?????
I work better with complete sentences. Let me know when you finish that one.

Posts: 107407 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of risingwater
posted Hide Post
I met my wife in Moss Bluff, and lived in Lake Charles for a while. Her aunt and grandparents live in Sulphur.

Posts: 831 | Location: Lake Charles, La | Registered: April 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austerity
posted Hide Post
I was -1 in 1984.

------------------------
"...to disarm the people - that was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." - George Mason

Posts: 1228 | Location: Evans, GA | Registered: September 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Her name was Paige. best looking girl friend I had ever had. What a summer!!!

Posts: 7723 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optical Delusion
Picture of BNW
posted Hide Post
Love this thread! july 1984 just about to turn 19, I had a Remington 742 woodmaster carbine .308, montgomery ward 12 gauge bolt, and a 357 High standard/Dan Wesson that left more lead on my left hand than went down range, all thats left is the Woodmaster. My first pickup a 76 Toyota Hi-lux, don't recommend for the drive-ins, lol if there are any left.

Posts: 2092 | Location: Maine | Registered: January 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was 2. Thoroughly enjoying a little nostalgia, though. I have often wondered what was going on in the rest of the world while I was yet oblivious to it.

Posts: 22 | Registered: September 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of velvetshnitz
posted Hide Post
July of 1984 I was nearing my 4th birthday. I've always loved the 80's, I can remember the second half of that decade with startling clarity, the joy of being a little boy. A world of wonder coming to life right before your eye's. So many new experiences, I can feel the love that was my family unit. Everything went south in the early 90's for me and my family. So, the 80's were the tits so to speak.

Dave

-SIG-Sauer P226R 9mm
-SIG-Sauer P226 9mm
-HK P2000sk V3 9mm
-HK P30 V3 9mm
-Glock 19
-Glock 20 Gen 4
-S&W 686 3 inch
-S&W M&P9
-BCM 14.5 carbine
-Arsenal SLR 107Cr

Posts: 1156 | Location: Monroe, WA | Registered: June 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I was 5 years old in '84 and was going to Dogwood Elementary School in Park Forest, Illinois.

Now I live in DeRidder and frequent Lake Charles every couple of weeks.

Posts: 13083 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Para,

How do you remember the details of the photo?
Did you track the F-stop, shutter speeds, etc as you were capturing the shots?

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9681 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Thunder47
posted Hide Post
1984 I was just about to be kicked out of the house after being married for 16 years. Lost almost all I had, and the next two years are what I called, "the dark years" until I meet a wonderful Irish lass 10 years younger than I and we have been married ever since.

Posts: 20 | Location: Dahlonega, GA | Registered: March 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
In 1984 my daughter, from my first marriage, turned 10. I was in the third year of my second (and current) marriage and living in the greater Seattle area.

Posts: 4015 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steelmonkey
posted Hide Post
I was tubing down the Aroostook river in Caribou Maine with my USAF buddies while stationed at Loring AFB, ME.

Posts: 76 | Location: Gardnerville, NV. | Registered: April 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost, but making
good time
posted Hide Post
I was 20 years old and got married on May 28th, 1984.
I'm still married to the same woman today.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Posts: 10454 | Location: St Augustine | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post