SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Colt Series 70 a’la Yost-Bonitz and KGB Customs
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt Series 70 a’la Yost-Bonitz and KGB Customs Login/Join 
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GCE61:
What a beautifully executed combat 5" 1911.
Fantastic example of a custom/practical working gun. Very nice sir, enjoy it.

A belated thank you here! Your comment sums-up nicely how I feel about this gun and others like it - they’re well-made and so enjoyable to look at, but they also are made to be used. I shoot this and any others I’m blessed to own as often as I can. As I carry 1911s predominately, this one’s definitely “in the lineup,” so to speak.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSW
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Congrats!

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Thank you!

posted Hide Post
That’s amazing and my birth year. Glad to see your putting it to use.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: February 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Thank you!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
I don’t know the full history on this 1981-era Colt. At some point it received some touches from the former Yost-Bonitz partnership and was later further enhanced by KGB Customs. I’ve logged just about 3,000 rounds through it myself and (clearly) enjoy it. It’s in my lineup of “carry” 1911s. Shown here with some of the leather I use: a Milt Sparks Roadrunner OWB holster and their S4C magazine pouch. Magazines are from Wilson Combat. The grips are Craig Spegels. VERY NICE.

Posts: 94 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: July 26, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Thank you!

posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing this marvelous example of craftsmanship with us - it's an absolutely classic beauty. I hope to one day own a 1911 customized by Ned Christiansen, Ted Yost, or Jason Burton.

Posts: 110 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: April 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Thank you! Indeed, a pistol from any of those craftsmen would be amazing. Jason Burton’s work just wows me every time I see another example online.

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Chiming back in on this post with something kind of neat from Karl Beining / KGB Customs and the good folks at Milt Sparks.

I’m a confessed Sparks fanboi, and when I recently saw that KGB Customs had commissioned some gunleather from Sparks with the KGB brand…I had to bite. Shown is a classic Sparks 55BN, itself a tribute to the Bruce Nelson Professional and an example of the so-called Avenger-style holsters.

As OWB holsters for 1911s go, I still prefer the Milt Sparks Roadrunner displayed earlier in this thread; however, I can certainly work with this 55BN, too! Smile

posted Hide Post
Gorgeous! A real classic! Thanks for showing this to us.

Posts: 110 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: April 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a nice piece!

mi45acp

Posts: 72 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Rogue and Blackguard
Picture of FPNunes
posted Hide Post
I've owned 1911s for 40 years come this November and have to say this is one of my favorites. Clean and nothing you don't need. A fine firearm.

Thank you for sharing, FrontRange.

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...

Posts: 1556 | Location: Missing New England everyday | Registered: March 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Hey, thanks all!

I had some interest expressed from a fellow member of another forum on this one a short while back - this was a birth-year gun for him, so he had a special interest in it. We wound up working out a deal, and this one has new owner these days.

It’s a very special pistol, for sure, and I’m glad I had an opportunity to own, shoot, and carry it for a season.

posted Hide Post
Just seeing this.

Yost-Bonitz is a name (or pair of names), I haven't heard in quite some years.

Lew Bonitz built a Marlin 1894 Levergun for me some years back in .44 mag. It's still the pride of my gun collection. It has the most phenominal trigger of any levergun I've ever held. Crisp and no creep or take-up, or "slop" that you typically associate with Marlin triggers.

Posts: 8 | Registered: April 04, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
man i LOVE an old colt, wish they had a blues one with the rail, tha would be the beez neez lol

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3318 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post