Colt Series 70 a’la Yost-Bonitz and KGB Customs

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9666031561/m/2480031384

July 31, 2021, 09:54 AM
TheFrontRange
Colt Series 70 a’la Yost-Bonitz and KGB Customs
quote:
Originally posted by GCE61:
What a beautifully executed combat 5" 1911.
Fantastic example of a custom/practical working gun. Very nice sir, enjoy it.

A belated thank you here! Your comment sums-up nicely how I feel about this gun and others like it - they’re well-made and so enjoyable to look at, but they also are made to be used. I shoot this and any others I’m blessed to own as often as I can. As I carry 1911s predominately, this one’s definitely “in the lineup,” so to speak.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza
August 01, 2021, 01:05 PM
JSW
Very nice! Congrats!

Wilsonblog
August 01, 2021, 03:23 PM
TheFrontRange
^^ Thank you!
August 09, 2021, 04:51 PM
big_gun_man
That’s amazing and my birth year. Glad to see your putting it to use.
August 10, 2021, 02:31 PM
TheFrontRange
^^ Thank you!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza
August 21, 2021, 07:01 PM
MGMAN45
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
I don’t know the full history on this 1981-era Colt. At some point it received some touches from the former Yost-Bonitz partnership and was later further enhanced by KGB Customs. I’ve logged just about 3,000 rounds through it myself and (clearly) enjoy it. It’s in my lineup of “carry” 1911s. Shown here with some of the leather I use: a Milt Sparks Roadrunner OWB holster and their S4C magazine pouch. Magazines are from Wilson Combat. The grips are Craig Spegels. VERY NICE.

August 21, 2021, 09:55 PM
TheFrontRange
^^ Thank you!
November 28, 2021, 05:59 PM
jmkfive
Thank you for sharing this marvelous example of craftsmanship with us - it's an absolutely classic beauty. I hope to one day own a 1911 customized by Ned Christiansen, Ted Yost, or Jason Burton.
November 28, 2021, 10:15 PM
TheFrontRange
Thank you! Indeed, a pistol from any of those craftsmen would be amazing. Jason Burton’s work just wows me every time I see another example online.

January 06, 2022, 11:22 AM
TheFrontRange
Chiming back in on this post with something kind of neat from Karl Beining / KGB Customs and the good folks at Milt Sparks.

I’m a confessed Sparks fanboi, and when I recently saw that KGB Customs had commissioned some gunleather from Sparks with the KGB brand…I had to bite. Shown is a classic Sparks 55BN, itself a tribute to the Bruce Nelson Professional and an example of the so-called Avenger-style holsters.

As OWB holsters for 1911s go, I still prefer the Milt Sparks Roadrunner displayed earlier in this thread; however, I can certainly work with this 55BN, too! Smile

February 18, 2022, 02:44 PM
jmkfive
Gorgeous! A real classic! Thanks for showing this to us.
March 23, 2022, 05:24 PM
mipistola45
What a nice piece!

mi45acp
April 02, 2022, 09:43 PM
FPNunes
I've owned 1911s for 40 years come this November and have to say this is one of my favorites. Clean and nothing you don't need. A fine firearm.

Thank you for sharing, FrontRange.

Save the whales. Redeem them for valuable prizes...
April 02, 2022, 10:25 PM
TheFrontRange
Hey, thanks all!

I had some interest expressed from a fellow member of another forum on this one a short while back - this was a birth-year gun for him, so he had a special interest in it. We wound up working out a deal, and this one has new owner these days.

It’s a very special pistol, for sure, and I’m glad I had an opportunity to own, shoot, and carry it for a season.

April 04, 2022, 09:18 PM
Mannlicher
Just seeing this.

Yost-Bonitz is a name (or pair of names), I haven't heard in quite some years.

Lew Bonitz built a Marlin 1894 Levergun for me some years back in .44 mag. It's still the pride of my gun collection. It has the most phenominal trigger of any levergun I've ever held. Crisp and no creep or take-up, or "slop" that you typically associate with Marlin triggers.
April 05, 2022, 10:51 AM
golddot
man i LOVE an old colt, wish they had a blues one with the rail, tha would be the beez neez lol

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---