SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    ** Small Update 1-27 page 18*** Winter project, building a house
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

** Small Update 1-27 page 18*** Winter project, building a house Login/Join 
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
That is/was a huge undertaking and says a lot about you. Not only that you took it on, but that you had the support of so many to help out. You must be a rock star cool guy. Can't wait to see the completed home.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the continued interest and kind words. It looks like I'm finally about caught up at work and I'm able to make more progress, I have this weekend of and maybe a day or two next week. I've gotten my camera out so the next update (very soon) won't be crappy cell phone pictures.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great Project, excellent pictures, beautiful place, congratulations!!

LC

Posts: 25 | Registered: April 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
looking forward to more updates.

thanks for sharing.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are a few more pictures, these are about 10 days old so there is quite a bit more done since then.

The two above are pictures of the porches for the back (side not off the ground) its a lot easier to fab stuff up in the shop. All I have to do now is set them in place and screw on the decking

At long last my power pole, bastards still haven't run the cable to the house though hopefully by the end of this week.

All the windows are in here, there are 3 doors in the front now but no picture yet.

Ditch for the underground power, had to be 3' deep and it was all shale. The guy had hell getting it dug.

For my lighting I decided to try indirect lighting. They are 4' T5's with 32W bulbs, there will be 17 of them in the house all together. the bottom and backside of the puril will be finished with wood, the side were the lights are will be 1/8" frosted plexi glass.

This thing is going to come down to the wire with the bank, electrical is done except for the kitchen/island and that is a 3 hour deal. All of my vent pipes are through the roof now so I just need to do all the drains under the house and pressure test the water system for leaks. Great news is i'm working 4 -10's now so I have 3 days off in a row to work on the house.

If thinks go well by the end of this week I'll have power and be putting up sheetrock.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
So. Cool. I usually peruse the gallery every few weeks just to see this thread. Good stuff, man.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I do bad things
to bad people
Picture of xlSIGlx
posted Hide Post
Somehow, I missed this thread when it was started. However, I've spent the last few minutes looking at all of it, and am thoroughly impressed. Not only is the location awesome, but all elements going into the building of the house are incredible. I hope you enjoy your new home.

"Break the arm of the wicked and evil man; call him to account for his wickedness that would not be found out." Psalms 10:15 (NIV)

Posts: 2364 | Location: God's Country | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Wow. Just wow.

Posts: 4030 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prep, Confirm, Roll
posted Hide Post
You da man!

NRA Certified instructor,
and Range Safety officer

OpSpec Training http://opspectraining.com
Grayguns - http://grayguns.com

Posts: 3172 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Really cool! I am really looking forward to seeing pics of the floor when its installed.
Your house is shaping up nicely!

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3865 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just curious, what are the boxes on the exterior wall on the front of the house?

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Box on the left is a Rheem propane tankless water heater, on the right is my power meter.

They finally connected the power 2 days ago so no more running a generator

Picture of TDC
posted Hide Post
I can't believe this is the first time I've seen this thread. You've done amazing work, congratulations and I look forward to seeing more.

Posts: 511 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: October 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another month has passed already...

I'm not going to make my October 28th deadline for my building loan but I've spoken with the bank and since I don't need more money I can just make a monthly payment until I switch it over to a mortage.

Now for the good stuff! I just purchased a new wide angle lens so I gave it a try today.

All of the doors are in now

Here is the guest bedroom looking out

guest bedroom looking in towards the bathroom

Living room/kitchen

"master" bedroom

"master" bath, i'm standing in the walk in shower to take the picture

Frame is up for the front porch

Just thought I would give you guys and update, I'm off to the Home Depot to pick up some primer and paint, and beer defiantly need more beer. Hanging and finishing Sheetrock has increased my beer consumption by about %500 and painting isn't high on my fun to do list.

Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Awesome.

I loved having the pride of building something when I worked my way through college doing construction.

Alas, I fear that I have lost a great many of my building skills.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be careful of the beer while painting. Had to spend a few bucks on a security deposit learning that lesson...

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Nice progress. Thanks for the update.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
love looking at this

Posts: 153 | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another smallish update

All of the sheetrock has been painted and I've started on the floors. My original idea was to plane ~1/8" off of the boards and then install them. These boards are seasoned oak, and I realized after 3 boards that my 13" Dewalt planer was not going to cut it. So the new idea is to put the flooring down and rent a floor sander and take off as much as needed to get rid of any possibilities of splinters.

I also had a problem with my A/C, I changed my mind and decided to go with a mini split system. FedEx freight delivered the pallet with the indoor and outdoor unit without me being there and I didn't sign for it, when I got home that evening everything looked good and I didn't worry about it. 5 days later I open the box for the indoor unit and the plastic housing/cover is broken and cracked in numerous places and a few of the fins were bent. I started the claim and after 2 weeks finally got it settled, they are sending me a check for the cost of the unit and told me to dispose of the damage one Big Grin . Now that is settled so I can get the A/C and heat going.

Living room/ Kitchen with paint

From the porch looking into the guest bedroom

From the guest bath looking into the the guest bedroom

Picture of tenmm
posted Hide Post
That floor is going to be awesome!

Posts: 760 | Location: Alaska | Registered: December 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post