SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    45 Colt shotshells
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 Colt shotshells Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
I've been looking for some online and, just like everything else, they are made of unobtainium. So, I figured I'd try loading some myself - seems easy enough.

I found a Youtube video of a fella loading 160ish gr of shot with 9.5gr of Unique. Then I found another site where a fella tested out that load and found that the pressures were too high for my Colt SAA, and suggested reducing the charge by at least a grain.

Has anyone loaded these up and have a good recipe they can share that won't blow up my Colt? I'll be using 9-shot with either Unique or Red Dot.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’ve loaded shot shells for a variety of handguns, 38, 45 Colt, & 41 mag, maybe others.

I bought 10 pounds of #11 shot a while back, should be a lifetime supply. I have used the Speed capsules, more recently skipped that component.

An easy way is to charge the powder, then a small cardboard or small slice of dense styrofoam on top of the powder, add the shot until almost full. You can seal it in place with one or two layers of fingernail polish.

The best data is usually in the Speer manual. That data usually calls for a LIGHT charge of a faster powder. Your pattern will be worse with a high charge. I normally use something like Titegroup.

One other note of caution. I’ve seen where shot shells don’t fare well when they’re in the cylinder when other, more full power rounds are fired. That would be possible if you set up where the shot shell was #4 or later in the cylinder. I’ve see capsules break, so it’s not just a hardened polish failure.

To mitigate, you could have a shot shell fire 1st, or carry separate & load as needed.

Another idea to consider is a longer case to load more shot. That could be a slightly trimmed 357 case to fit in a 38, or a 414 mag case trimmed to fit in a 41 mag cylinder. Since these never have bullets & the lighter powder charge, no over pressure worries.

Just a few musings, worked for me.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Thanks sourdough.

Looks like Speer recommends ~150gr of shot with 7.5gr of Unique.

I'll be using gas checks and a crimp to hold them together, so hopefully recoil won't cause any issues.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When I had my 45colt, I loaded with 6grains of unique, shotcard, #9 shot, shotcard glued in, and just roll crimped the edge of the case. Used them in a ruger new vaquero. Worked fine. Could hit a paper plate at ten feet and would have put a hurting on a snake if I’d have ever run across one with that particular gun.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
160gr of 9-shot with 7.5gr Unique. Light shooting and pretty decent group at 15ft. And I agree it'd put a hurtin' on critters with shoulders and without.

I used 45 cal gas checks which were a bit of a PITA to get seated straight on top, even with a decent bell, so I could crimp. I think I'll try some 44 cal ones instead. That should work better.

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
10 days ago I saw a mouse in the shed, somewhat tame he/she seemed. I thought about going to get my shot loads to try out but instead freshened the trap bait & tucked away poison. I caught two so far.

The neighbors just told me about mice in their wood splitter air filter, time to step up control.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post