New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primers Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted
In my humble opinion, the manufacturers have had plenty of time to ramp up production and restore primer availability since the latest “shortage” panic took off. Why haven’t they? Is it because they’ve decided they have far more dollars to make by selling loaded ammunition and are leaving us reloaders out in the cold? Same applies to powder. Is the golden age of cheap reloading over?

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15497 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I think priority is to loaded ammo, a brick of primers is excess. I bought 2k last spring, $53 per 1000.

I would hate to be at the bottom of a supply, hard to find, then a big markup.

Posts: 6126 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
I think priority is to loaded ammo, a brick of primers is excess. I bought 2k last spring, $53 per 1000.

I would hate to be at the bottom of a supply, hard to find, then a big markup.

This is what I've heard also. You can get primers now pretty easily, but they are pricey.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I check Ammoseek for primers pretty much daily. $0.10-$0.20 each has been the norm for a good while. Every now and then you'll see someone have a "deal" at around $0.075 per. Long way off from what it was two years ago.

Posts: 480 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I guess that’s the issue I have- primers didn’t double in production cost, and companies were able to provide them by the millions prior to the “shortage” craziness. They’ve had plenty of time to rebuild production numbers, but haven’t. I can’t help but feel the ammo companies are intentionally throttling output in favor of maximizing profit while crapping on those that want to load their own. Same with powder. There’s no reason they couldn’t be producing both in ample amounts. Seems a bit shady to me.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15497 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Powder's pretty easy to get also, and the prices aren't too much higher than they were before.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Powder's pretty easy to get also, and the prices aren't too much higher than they were before.

Selection isn’t all that good, at least locally. There’s nowhere the selection there should be.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

Selection isn’t all that good, at least locally. There’s nowhere the selection there should be.

You're right, the selection isn't that good, but there is enough with a burn rate that will work for virtually every cartridge that it's a non issue.

posted Hide Post
Ever read up on the process of how primers are made? Mostly automated process except for adding the explosive compound to the cup. That part is done by hand. Yup, some poor bastards have to hand smear wet priming compound into millions of primers every year!

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Priming compound is safe when it's wet, but if it gets dry...

posted Hide Post
I'd say safer, not safe Smile My point was that these things are largely made by hand, and it doesn't sound like the type of job you can just throw bodies at when you need to increase production.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Since it can't explode when wet, it's safe.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
it doesn't sound like the type of job you can just throw bodies at when you need to increase production

I'm only asking that production return to pre-craziness levels; shops around me can only obtain small amounts and consequently only sell you small amounts so that "everyone can at least reload a little". It is an absurdity. Before, you could walk in and ask for 2,000 primers and most likely could walk out that day if you wanted. There is NO conceivable reason that with this long to shore up production, companies like Winchester, CCI, Federal, etc. could not fill the numbers void after nearly 2 years. With ammo remaining at stupid expensive prices, there is no incentive to support the reloading community when they're making money hand over fist on loaded ammo.

posted Hide Post
Powders are also scarce or non existent. I have not seen Varget in years.

Posts: 12546 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brownells had small rifle primers as of last night

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:
it doesn't sound like the type of job you can just throw bodies at when you need to increase production

I'm only asking that production return to pre-craziness levels; shops around me can only obtain small amounts and consequently only sell you small amounts so that "everyone can at least reload a little". It is an absurdity. Before, you could walk in and ask for 2,000 primers and most likely could walk out that day if you wanted. There is NO conceivable reason that with this long to shore up production, companies like Winchester, CCI, Federal, etc. could not fill the numbers void after nearly 2 years. With ammo remaining at stupid expensive prices, there is no incentive to support the reloading community when they're making money hand over fist on loaded ammo.

No offense, but nobody has any obligation, moral or otherwise, to ramp up production. You act like they do. Why do you think this way? They did so in 1996, and got their ass handed to them in 1998 when demand cratered. If you truly believe it is just greed that is preventing them from building more facilities and increasing production, why don’t you raise the capital and open a plant? When there is excess supply, like there was just a couple years ago, do you feel that you are obligated to buy them?

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8193 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Manufacturers have had months to manufacture at normal rates that don’t require any special retooling, hiring additional help, etc. but simply have not. 2 minutes inside any gun store that carry’s reloading supplies and talking to employees gets you the same unanswered questions. Nobody is asking for favors from them, just products that they up until that point had no problem providing without losing their shirts. But thanks for your input. Good lord.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Every manufacturer of components has stated that their facilities are running at capacity. Somehow you see malfeasance where none exist. Good Lord indeed.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8193 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
It’s been the better part of 2 years. Do the math.

Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Local primers are still made of unobtanium Frown. Hopefully next year the ammo makers will divert some of their production to component sales again. Downstream industries that are primarily reloading product manufacturers (Lyman, Redding, RCBS) have to be getting sick of the primer scarcity.

Posts: 3122 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post