SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    300 Blackout Reloading Discussion
Page 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Blackout Reloading Discussion Login/Join 
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
My first post to this thread

9/9/15 noontime CST - Powder Valley has in stock 8lb jugs of AA1680 for $151.00 before Haz/Mat. I bought me one.....Heading down the road towards the subsonic reloading land..... Big Grin

I saw that a few days ago. I think I might try IMR 4227 first for subs though. I have been reading it is cleaner than 1680, anyone want to comment on that?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David W,

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3638 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can I ask what the 300 Blackout reloaders recommend for a brand of case gauge?

I ask because I have read on line where the Sheridan Cut away gauge is a good one for this round. All of my other ones are Dillon but they are not the cut out version. Twice the price of the non-cut out version.

http://www.sheridanengineering.com/index-2.htm

Thanks for the feedback....Mark

Posts: 3241 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had no luck using 4227 with subs in my suppressed 8" upper 300blkout.
I do have perfect results using 10.5 grs of IMR 4198 in same gun though. My gas port to .103

This message has been edited. Last edited by: coanan,

Posts: 336 | Location: SE. Florida | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Do you guys who make your 300 brass anneal or not?

David W.

Posts: 3638 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't.

Posts: 336 | Location: SE. Florida | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:

Yes, I definately anneal upon creating the brass and after every three firings.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8665 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:

Before sizing, yes.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:

I ask because I have read on line where the Sheridan Cut away gauge is a good one for this round. All of my other ones are Dillon but they are not the cut out version. Twice the price of the non-cut out version.

I use the original Sheridan Case Guage, but have seriously thought about buying the cutaway version. If I was buying one for the first time today, it would be the Sheridan Cutaway.

Posts: 8665 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
quote:

Before sizing, yes.

+1 on before sizing and after chopping.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
quote:

I use the original Sheridan Case Guage, but have seriously thought about buying the cutaway version. If I was buying one for the first time today, it would be the Sheridan Cutaway.

+1

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Stormin Norman and EXX - I will order accordingly.

My 8lb jug of AA-1680 arrived today by UPS and this past weekend I picked up 1000 pieces once fired LC brass that has been cut, trimmed, and FL sized to 300 AAC for $88.00 delivered to my home from Brass Depot. Dies are on order so the only critical tool needed is a case gauge.

Eventually will order some 208/220 bullets once I find them on sale somewhere....OUCH....I am used to picking up 1k bullets for .223 or 9mm for around $100.00 (+/- depending on type and if on sale). Seeing the pricing on these 208's and 220's - Well it just HURT my feelings.....

Thanks Guys.....Mark

Posts: 3241 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could not stand it - I have several different 30cal bullets laying around from years of deer hunting and shooting. Decided to load a "Dummy Round" since I have dies, brass, and some old deer bullets in the reloading cabinets.....Needless to say I have a ways to go before I will be ready to start loading 300 AAC BO rounds....

This is a 168gr 30 cal. Combined Technologies bullet seated to an OAL of 2.200"

Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Could not stand it - I have several different 30cal bullets laying around from years of deer hunting and shooting. Decided to load a "Dummy Round" since I have dies, brass, and some old deer bullets in the reloading cabinets.....Needless to say I have a ways to go before I will be ready to start loading 300 AAC BO rounds....

Have you received your Hardened Arms 300blk yet?

David W.

Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:

OAL with this cartridge is more dependent on magazines than anything. Sure, anything under 2.25 will fit front to back, but the issue is the ridge or rib on the sides of the magazine. With 223 rounds, the rib rests on the neck. Blackout bullets are much wider than the neck of a 223, so if you load them too long, the rib will push them towards the center of the magazine and you may have feeding problems.

posted Hide Post
David W - not yet. Received order conformation but site indicated orders running two to three weeks out. I will post photos as soon as it arrives but it will not be mounted on a lower. My pending registered engraved lowers stamp has not arrived so it is still carring it original Colt 6721 upper on it.

On a separate note I had to cancel my order on the Colt 6933 I had on order after a different company (not Hardened Arms) billed my cc three weeks ago for a "in stock" upper only to find that they have one on order but do not know wben it will be in. I asked yesterday after waiting 3 weeks that My order be canceled so I am now back on the hunt for a Colt 6933 complete upper. Mark

posted Hide Post
EXX. Thanks for the feedback. I have 208's and 220's on the way along with my Sheridan slotted case gauge. I also ordered the Lancer 20rd mags like you and others recommended and a Tri-Way trimmer.

I could not believe it when I walked into Simmons Sporting Goods yesrerday in Bessemer AL while in route to Atlanta. They had 15+ one lb jugs of AA1680 and 5 eight lb jugs. No Lil Gun or H110 but they did have Trail Boss so I picked up two for later use along with 2k CCI small rifle primers. Thanks again for the continued feedback and direction related to this interesting round. Mark

posted Hide Post
quote:

There's no better gauge especially for 300 BLK than the Sheridan slotted gauge. It's pricey but has saved me from having to pull bullets on a few occasions. If your rounds pass the Sheridan, they're guaranteed to chamber. If they don't pass you can visually see exactly where the problem is.

Posts: 12 | Location: Hilton Head, SC | Registered: January 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bamf
posted Hide Post
Oh man I just read all 27 pages and it was extremely helpful. I'm sure I'll think of more as I wait for my stamps to be approved.

"I have a suggestion to keep you all occupied. Learn to swim" - Ænema

Posts: 4599 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
Anyone seen the new Leatherhead 220 gr RN bullets yet? I have 500 coming. Cant wait start some load development. Should be excellent plinking rounds.

Edit: 220gr and not 20.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: D4Heavy,

Posts: 397 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
20gr?? Please tell me that's a typo...