SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    300 Blackout Reloading Discussion
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 29
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Blackout Reloading Discussion Login/Join 
BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
I grabbed the 41's just on spec, so if I can trade em for Remington's I will.

Cant hurt to try and I have 2K in 7.5's on hand. Worst case I trade for some more and send em your way!

I just scored a pound of IMR4198 locally, off to close that deal. That will give me some variety for the subsonic loading as I get going.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TKO:
I grabbed the 41's just on spec, so if I can trade em for Remington's I will.

Cant hurt to try and I have 2K in 7.5's on hand. Worst case I trade for some more and send em your way!

I just scored a pound of IMR4198 locally, off to close that deal. That will give me some variety for the subsonic loading as I get going.

That is cool; I won't turn down any primers. I loaded up some 220gr bullets with Lil' Gun and I will try them out this weekend hopefully. I got my chronograph to verify velocity now. I have 2 supersonic and that one subsonic I worked up and want to try out.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Are these bullets good for subsonic loads?

http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...llow-point-boat-tail

Is Midway's price a good price? I'm trying to get together the components for getting started in this.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
Yes, those should be good for subsonic .300BLK loads. Price wise that looks about average for the going rate. Not having bought any pre-panic I don't know how much higher they are. I paid a little less than that on 2 500 bullet lots on Gun Broker a couple of weeks back.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
Let us know how the testing goes. I fired some 150gr yesterday morning, then fired some factory 220gr Remington. Talk about a drop! At 100 yards it was 11 inches down from the 150gr supersonics. I may have to get the low rings for my scope...

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
Are these bullets good for subsonic loads?

http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...llow-point-boat-tail

Is Midway's price a good price? I'm trying to get together the components for getting started in this.

Those are the bullets I have worked up several loads to test out this weekend. Midway is the only place I have been able to buy any so far and I think it is a decent price.

I would consider that bullet a plinking round only. From the ballistics I have seen on it, you would not want to use it for defense or hunting as it will penetrate 24" of ballistic gel without expanding. I have bought them for plinking and will look at some other rounds that could be used for defense/hunting and still be subsonic although some of the better bullets I have seen for those purposes seem to be supersonic. There are good bullets though that are subsonic for those purposes.

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I revised the thread title to try and keep 300 Blackout reloading discussion in here.

BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
Sounds good Stormin. I have kinda drifted this thing all over the damn place huh?!!

On topic, anyone know off the top of their heads what the load data is on the Remington 220 OTM?

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sounds good Stormin. I have kinda drifted this thing all over the damn place huh?!!

Not at all; everything has been 300 BLK relevent. I noticed there have been a few different threads on this topic and it might be nice to keep things in one spot; although I think I might be the one who started several of them instead of keeping them in one place.

BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
Gotcha. Did a bit of googling and so far nothing concrete on the Remington subsonic data.

I gotta say shooting it yesterday it felt really light.

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:

There are good bullets though that are subsonic for those purposes.

Can you recommend bullets good for self defense and/or hunting that are subsonic?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
I think the Hornady Amax bullets in 208gr reportedly perform better.

http://www.hornady.com/store/A-MAX/?page=2

But I have no direct experience to confirm that.

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah I would think the Hornady 208gr Amax or the Nosler 210gr Accubond would be better.

Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yeah I would think the Hornady 208gr Amax or the Nosler 210gr Accubond would be better.

Keep in mind guys, most jacketed rifle bullets have pretty high vel windows for expansion. I doubt you get any from a 200gr 30cal @ less than 1800fps impact vel. I would lean to a 150gr, even a 125gr running faster.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
quote:
quote:

Keep in mind guys, most jacketed rifle bullets have pretty high vel windows for expansion. I doubt you get any from a 200gr 30cal @ less than 1800fps impact vel. I would lean to a 150gr, even a 125gr running faster.

I agree. I understand the desire to have a subsonic hunting round, but I think a supersonic round would be more effective. You are probably also limited to what you can hunt and the distance.

The Barnes 125gr ME/LE blacktip or the Nosler 125gr ballistic tip would seem the best to me and what I will be loading for self defense rounds.

BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
Norm, you have email.

BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
Well Norm, short of taking a road trip...

Once I get my loader, you can ship me some brass and I can prime it for you!

Speaking of... I went to the range today. Fired my first ever primer only round... Fortunately didn't lodge the bullet hard. Second to last round too. I pulled the bolt and took a cleaning rod and knocked it out from the muzzle end. Other than that, my second trip shooting the 150gr after I put the AAC break/comp on.

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Primed brass is one way around it! I just scored an order the other day of 500 primed brass; I thought it was just the brass and then noticed it is primed.

I spent ALL day yesterday in 101 degrees testing two different loads and used a chronograph I just bought to be able to document velocities. I found my load for the Nosler 125gr Ballistic Tip. I then tested the Sierra 220gr OTM and it would cycle fine suppressed but would not cycle the bolt unsuppressed. Also the bullet had a 3" drop at 50 yards so I need to work up some more loads.

BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
I snagged some 150gr SMK's a few days back, so Im going to work up a load for them.

That's a pretty serious drop at 50 yards! What were you seeing for velocity on those unsuppressed?

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
I snagged some 150gr SMK's a few days back, so Im going to work up a load for them.

That's a pretty serious drop at 50 yards! What were you seeing for velocity on those unsuppressed?

I worked up loads starting at 8.2gn Hodgdon Lil'Gun up to 8.7gn with OAL of 2.120".

8.6gn seemed the most accurate but I saw no signs of pressure at 8.7 so I may go a little higher or just use these suppressed only. I also may adjust the case length a little longer and continue to work with the load to get the velocity closer to 1100fps.

Unsuppressed Velocities:
8.3 - AVG 1030 ES 82
8.4 - AVG 1026 ES 30
8.5 - AVG 1043 ES 22
8.6 - AVG 1061 ES 29
8.7 - AVG 1051 ES 61

Suppressed Velocities:
8.3 - AVG 1050 ES 21
8.4 - AVG 1049 ES 37
8.5 - AVG 1047 ES 65
8.6 - AVG 1068 ES 51
8.7 - AVG 1081 ES 34