SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    300 Blackout Reloading Discussion
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 29
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Blackout Reloading Discussion Login/Join 
Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TKO:
I would be interested to learn more about the loading setup you have for this as well.

If you want to come check out my Dillon rifle setups I'd be happy to show you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: M4Super90,

115 + 115 = 230

Posts: 3675 | Registered: April 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you tried the magnum and gone back to standard or just always loaded standard?

I would be interested to learn more about the loading setup you have for this as well.

So far I have not tried any magnum primers. All the loads I have seen use either Remington 7.5, Winchester SRP, or CCI 400. I have seen a few people using magnum primers and I do have some CCI 41 which are said to be treated as magnum primers. If you use a magnum primer, you are suppossed to reduce powder load by 10% and then work the load up.

All of the loads I have seen for the Sierra 220gr are with a Remington 7.5 primer and AA1680 powder. I have 1,000 rounds of the 220gr bullet but I have not tried any loads with it yet.

I posted a video in another thread https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/7530058223 on how I convert 5.56 brass to 300 BLK brass.

I am using a Dillon RL550 for my loading. I have a Redding 2 piece die set. I do not use the crimp on the bullet seat die as I use a seperate Lee Factory Crimp Die that I use to put a light crimp on the bullet.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M4Super90:
quote:

If you want to come check out my Dillon rifle setups I'd be happy to show you.

Thanks M4. I will definitely take you up on that.

Im inclined right now to go ahead and buy a 650 so that I can utilize it for future rifle as well as all of my pistol reloading. I figure I can offset its cost by making the Square Deal loaders available to someone just getting into it for a reasonable price.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
Thanks Stormin. I had read that the Remington 7.5's were "magnum" and saw that on a primer chart as well. The box says bench rest, so....

Out of curiosity why the different crimp instead of using the #4 position on the 550?

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Biochemical
Superfreak
Picture of M4Super90
posted Hide Post
Anytime. Just shoot me an email using the address in my profile.

115 + 115 = 230

Posts: 3675 | Registered: April 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Out of curiosity why the different crimp instead of using the #4 position on the 550?

I have the Lee FCD in the #4 position on the 550 and that is where I do my crimp.

The Redding bullet seating die in position #3 seats the bullet and also will crimp it, but I have it set so that it will not crimp in the seating die as the Redding die can only crimp the bullet if the bullet has a cannelure. The Lee FCD can crimp a bullet with or without a cannelure.

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
Bit the bullet today and plopped down the money for a 550 press. I just ordered a Redding 3 die set as well.

M4, I still wanna see how you are set up. Hoping I can glean some lessons before I get started on mine.

Im gonna go ahead and order a set of .45 dies and a tool head and get that going as well. The suppressor wont be here for another few months so not a huge rush to get loads worked up for that until I can test it.

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Yesterday felt good as it was the first time I have been able to fully utilize the Dillon 550.

Now that I have a load recipe for a good plinking round (Sierra 125gr OTM) I was able to fill my powder die and get it dumping perfectly each time and then I was able to churn out some bullets. Previously I was hand measuring all my loads because I was working the load up.

I went to the range and shot them because I was testing the accuracy changes in using different levels of crimp on the bullet.

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bit the bullet today and plopped down the money for a 550 press. I just ordered a Redding 3 die set as well.

Definitely get the Lee Factory Crimp Die (FCD) for the 300BLK to put in position #4 and use it for your crimp. By putting a crimp on the bullet it definitely helps improve accuracy.

BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
The set I ordered from Redding has a separate taper crimp die for position 4 instead of the combo seating/crimping die that I saw for position 3. Is the Lee die better?

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
The set I ordered from Redding has a separate taper crimp die for position 4 instead of the combo seating/crimping die that I saw for position 3. Is the Lee die better?

Hmmm...I don't know. When I ordered my Redding 300 BLK die set from Dillon, they said all they sold was a 2 piece set. The position #3 seated the bullet and crimped it; there would be nothing in position #4.

When I got the die set and the instructions it stated very clearly that you can only use their die to crimp on a bullet with a cannelure, which is why I bought the Lee FCD since it can crimp any bullet and provide a factory crimp.

I guess you will have to see what the instructions say for yours since it sounds to have a totally separate die for the crimp. If it is a separate taper crimp die then I think you will be OK. Redding does offer a separate taper crimp die and Dillon must now offer it and that is what you got.

BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
Ill let you know what I get instruction set wise. Dillon didn't have anything in the way of a .300 die set that wasn't backordered further than the press itself, so I ordered them from Midway. They should be here by the end of the month.

Here is the link to the set I ordered.

http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...set-300-aac-blackout

Picture of swiss_seth
posted Hide Post
very cool process!!!

Posts: 1655 | Location: Steel City USA | Registered: October 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ill let you know what I get instruction set wise. Dillon didn't have anything in the way of a .300 die set that wasn't backordered further than the press itself, so I ordered them from Midway. They should be here by the end of the month.

Here is the link to the set I ordered.

http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...set-300-aac-blackout

Looks like you got a good set!

BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
I was intrigued by the micrometer adjustment on the seating die!

We will see how they do once I get the press. Ive got all the other items assembled...

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was intrigued by the micrometer adjustment on the seating die!

I thought that was pretty cool as well; it will just better help you get the right seating depth easier than guessing by how much to turn the screw to make an adjustment.

BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
Got all my bullets in today. Got 1000 220gr SMK BTHP from two suppliers.

Powder...Check
Primer...Check
Brass....Check

Loader.... Loader.... Bueller?

On the plus side, Im going to go ahead and list my Square Deal B's for sale... Maybe get some poor unsuspecting soul hooked like I was!

BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
M4, you have mail.

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Got all my bullets in today. Got 1000 220gr SMK BTHP from two suppliers.

Powder...Check
Primer...Check
Brass....Check

Loader.... Loader.... Bueller?

The 220gr SMK is what I am working on next. What powder and primers are you going to use?

I bought a chrono that I have not used yet as I can only use it at one range that is almost an hour away, but I will be using it to help in testing out my load with this bullet.

I am going to use Hodgdon Lilgun powder and CCI400 primer.

This is what I plan to start with:
8.3grain to start and work a few loads in .1 grain increments up and down.
I plan to use 2.120" OAL case length and put a medium crimp.

It is CRAZY deep how far that 220gr bullet seats into the case!

I will use this as only a plinking round as I have seen tests that it will hit ballistic gel and never expand and penetrate 28". The bullet I have on order to have as a subsonic hunting or self-defense round is the Hornady 208gr A-Max.

Once I get several different loads dialed in, then I will do some ballistic tests with wet phone books. I plan to use the Sierra 125gr and 220gr as plinking rounds.

BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
For the initial work up Im going to be using Remington 7.5's, H110 and converted brass.

Im going to load to the standard 2.260 with a medium crimp. Powder weight Im starting at 8.9 and move up.

Being that Im loading for a bolt gun, my goal is to load a round that is right up to the edge of supersonic and then back it off a tenth or two to make sure I stay under.